The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Converters for my situation Audio Interfaces
Old 16th June 2015
Lives for gear

I have to wonder if you are truly hearing the HILO in an untreated room with prosumer speakers
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
That something you mention, can it be described as slightly cloudy or adding low mid? A clear punchy transient or softening?
It was like a slight glue in the whole mix, that made its sound that made it sound exciting in a natural but very very slightly hifi clean way. Also as if in a cleaner hifi space of sound.

LOL i probably sound like a quack... but it's was crazy.

keep in mind, I'm a layman who writes music as a serious hobby, I'm not an audio engineer and I have a limited know of the terms and what exactly I'm listening for to "correctly" evaluate equipment or source material. I hope what I just said makes sense...
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
I have to wonder if you are truly hearing the HILO in an untreated room with prosumer speakers
lol, why do you say that? I'll take a video of my basement and listening position. My basement does have a carpet and couches, but the walls are bare painted sheet rock.
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Definitely not. The improvement is understandable, but treating the room and upgrading speakers will be a whole different ball game.

Also, it sounded like the comparison to Apogee was listening to Apogee converters in the context of a "big time local studio". If you're not comparing the different converters side by side in the same conditions all bets are off.

Skip the whisper room unless you have serious isolation issues. You'll be isolated inside a small space with bad acoustics. You're better off with acoustic treatments from GIK (screen panels) or realtraps. Don't go crazy on converters to use on HS8's in an untreated room!
The whisper room is for cutting dry vocals and to keep loud vocalists isolated from the near by offices in the same vicinity.

There's a nice local whisper room for cheap (relatively speaking) 6'x8' that I have my eye on.

Attached are the photos of the studio...
Attached Thumbnails
Best Converters for my situation-img_1049.jpg   Best Converters for my situation-img_1043.jpg   Best Converters for my situation-img_1048.jpg   Best Converters for my situation-img_1047.jpg   Best Converters for my situation-img_1046.jpg  

Best Converters for my situation-img_1045.jpg   Best Converters for my situation-img_1044.jpg  
Old 16th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_savant View Post
lol, why do you say that? I'll take a video of my basement and listening position. My basement does have a carpet and couches, but the walls are bare painted sheet rock.
As someone who downgraded in conversion to fund the last upgrades in my room, I just don't think they are the priority. A lot of the hiphop dudes are STILL using 003 and Mbox 2 lol. That's when I stopped worrying about conversion.

Mics and monitors are what I'm about now (and room)

Of course this is high end... If you have the $$$ it doesn't matter; of course.
Old 17th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
As someone who downgraded in conversion to fund the last upgrades in my room, I just don't think they are the priority. A lot of the hiphop dudes are STILL using 003 and Mbox 2 lol. That's when I stopped worrying about conversion.

Mics and monitors are what I'm about now (and room)

Of course this is high end... If you have the $$$ it doesn't matter; of course.
It depends on the artist & their end use goals. If they just want something that will sound fine for their personal listening pleasure, I guess that will be fine... Not to mention, if you have hardcore rappers trying to sound tough, loud, & in your face through 99% of the track, then yes converters may not play that big of a roll because there isn't a requirement for a lot detail.

Even then, if those same artist are trying to create and deliver commercial quality records, chances are they're sending those same tracks to an engineer who probably runs them through high end converters (to make the sound quality comparable to music commercial music they want to compete against.)

Anyway, to each their own. We're all right to some degree.
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_savant View Post
It depends on the artist & their end use goals. If they just want something that will sound fine for their personal listening pleasure, I guess that will be fine... Not to mention, if you have hardcore rappers trying to sound tough, loud, & in your face through 99% of the track, then yes converters may not play that big of a roll because there isn't a requirement for a lot detail.

Even then, if those same artist are trying to create and deliver commercial quality records, chances are they're sending those same tracks to an engineer who probably runs them through high end converters (to make the sound quality comparable to music commercial music they want to compete against.)

Anyway, to each their own. We're all right to some degree.
IMO if you want to capture a lot of detail the mic is going to make the big difference. Going from SM7 to Neumann is where I found the detail.

Since you already committed to the Hilo, I would definitely go all the way mic, outboard, room, monitors, etc.

Last edited by Inverted314; 17th June 2015 at 04:12 PM..
Old 17th June 2015
Gear Maniac

I hear ya and completely agree in regards to the making sure the whole system is stong. The sum is definately greater than the parts, but when you have very good parts, the sum total may become magical... assuming I learn how to use them :D

But yeah. I when with the u87ai for a mic. I'm feeding that in to a 1073lb> Missing Link>IC Brute> Hilo LT-TB> Mac Mini. So my goals are kh120's for monitoring and a whisper room for cutting dry vocals. With the size of the whisper room, I can get full spectrum traps in addition to more bass trapping. My only goal for the business (when I get a small local space) and my needs are crazy clean/clear vocal takes. voice overs, etc. I have some home made traps that I'm going to re-build, re-fabric, and hang at the business location.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search