The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Large-format console ergonomics?
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Maniac

Large-format console ergonomics?

Hi guys, haven't posted in a long time but I still check in regularly...

It seems like quite a reach front-to-back for the big pro desks. Question(s): Are you happy with SSL, Neve, API laid out they way they are? If you had your druthers, what functions would you prefer to have closer to the front of the desk? EQ? Auxes? Pre? Comp?
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Sit down, stand up, reach across, sit down, stand up, reach across. Life with a LFC. It's good though. Mine's an old one and I think the only thing I'd change is a better place for monitor and keyboard in the center position.
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

My Harrison 950 MX
The console furniture and racks are a Harrison design that is specifically made
for a single person control room.
32 total channels , easy as pie to operate .
I can roll the racks right to me when mixing .

Last edited by Gretschman; 24th May 2015 at 12:10 AM..
Old 24th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
Hi guys, haven't posted in a long time but I still check in regularly...

It seems like quite a reach front-to-back for the big pro desks. Question(s): Are you happy with SSL, Neve, API laid out they way they are? If you had your druthers, what functions would you prefer to have closer to the front of the desk? EQ? Auxes? Pre? Comp?
Its always muscle memory, I try to time it with the "slide of my chair down to the channels on the desk that go outside the sweet spot" . You listen to swivel around on whatever axis the gear is at. By the time I get there, I hope I still know what I should be doing.

As I type this, I am even wondering how much the off-axis monitor sound affects your brain. Anyway...These days I am working from a small space with a control surface so for mix balancing with the DAW that is solved and I mostly reach outside my mix spot to dial in my gear.

So I still slide my chair. Most things I can dial in easily, but I find that EQ's are the most annoying to dial in outside of the sweet spot of my mix. Compression settings and Static things like Mic Preamp Levels are much easier for my brain.

So I want a Little Small Format Analog Console with Big Knobs and L/C/R pan switch. Master/Monitor Section on the Right Hand side. I want one or two Aux outputs on small knobs. Above that I would place any Equalizer that I liked to use for tracking and mixing. I don't want to slide around in my chair to use EQ's. Most days I have to. This post is making me want to move my monitor controller closer.
Old 24th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post

...So I want a Little Small Format Analog Console with Big Knobs and L/C/R pan switch. Master/Monitor Section on the Right Hand side. I want one or two Aux outputs on small knobs. Above that I would place any Equalizer that I liked to use for tracking and mixing. I don't want to slide around in my chair to use EQ's. Most days I have to. This post is making me want to move my monitor controller closer.
Exactly how I feel about it. I've never worked in the high-end business but I have had a chance to mix on a SSL 4000 a couple of times. The stand-up, sit-down, slide-your-chair stuff seemed ridiculous to me.I kept thinking, does it really have to be this way? Why do people put up with this?

Challenge: Design a console that allows you to mix 60 channels of audio OTB without moving your head from the sweet spot. Maybe there's not enough market interest (surely someone's thought of it before), but why not?
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

There's a reason that when sending tracks out to the desk we put the most important elements right next to us... i set drums levels and tend to leave them static, the vocal however is right next to me so i can grab it without moving.
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Challenge: Design a console that allows you to mix 60 channels of audio OTB without moving your head from the sweet spot. Maybe there's not enough market interest (surely someone's thought of it before), but why not?
That has been done in the mid 1990ies.

The Euphonix CS series console allows control of every single parameter from the center section.

I am sure there are others...
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

The biggest problem for me is the patch bays are either side of the meters and it hurts my knees doing a lot of patching..... I rest my thighs on the front of the desk and lean across.
As for the mixing sweet spot, it is harder work going off to a rack then coming back to listen, I do appreciate the exercise though, when I mix ITB I find myself standing up after a long stint and I'm in agony because I haven't moved at all.

All of this really matters to me because of a chronic pain condition, I suffer for a long time if i mistreat my body.

On balance for me a large format console is a lot less painful than ITB.
Old 24th May 2015
Quote:
[snip]

Or get Northward Acoustics to build you a control room with a big wide deep sweet spot so nothing is outside it. Simples.

Old 30th May 2015
I don't want my head in the "sweet spot" 100% of the time. The end user isn't going to have their head in the sweet spot all the time, why should I? Lot's can be learned about a mix outside the sweetspot.
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Most end users are indeed going to have their head 100% in the sweet spot.
Think of headphone users, car hifi (DSP optimized), and audiophiles...

...and even if that would not be the case: No end user has to take mix decisions!

It is not about being in the sweet spot 100% of the time anyway.
It's about being able to make all critical adjustments while in the sweet spot, should you wish to.

While I love LFCs, and think the pros by far outweigh the cons,
this restriction is indeed a drawback on most of them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search