The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Klein & Hummel o300 bass driver replacement? Studio Monitors
Old 22nd May 2015
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Klein & Hummel o300 bass driver replacement?

Hi guys

The bass driver in my left speaker is producing some faint buzzing noise when playing isolated bass material through it.

It is definitely coming from the bass driver and somewhere within the dust cap. If i push the dust cap lightly the buzzing disappears.

I opened the speakers and checked the wires etc and it all looks fine, surely it cant be a blown coil?

Ive emailed support at neumann but havent heard back from them in weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions at what to look at? Or where to find a replacement? Im guessing that both drivers will need replacing to keep in line with 'burn-in'


Thanks in advance!!
Old 22nd May 2015
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

Update:

Found out that a flat fee service cost (payable upfront) for the O300 through Sennheiser UK is £360.

Surely there could be an option to re-wire the driver if it is indeed the coil thats blown?
Old 22nd May 2015
  #3
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim View Post
Update:

Found out that a flat fee service cost (payable upfront) for the O300 through Sennheiser UK is £360.

Surely there could be an option to re-wire the driver if it is indeed the coil thats blown?
To re-wire a driver manually would cost a lot more than £360.

It sounds like that the driver has come off-centre if pressing it stops the noise.

£360 sounds very reasonable to me.
Old 22nd May 2015
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Thanks John

Looking at it, it does seem reasonable especially since that covers parts, labour and shipping.

Do you think it might be worth sending both in to replace both drivers in case there is some sort of miss-match introduced in case they replace the driver with the new one?


Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
To re-wire a driver manually would cost a lot more than £360.

It sounds like that the driver has come off-centre if pressing it stops the noise.

£360 sounds very reasonable to me.
Old 22nd May 2015
  #5
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim View Post
Thanks John

Looking at it, it does seem reasonable especially since that covers parts, labour and shipping.

Do you think it might be worth sending both in to replace both drivers in case there is some sort of miss-match introduced in case they replace the driver with the new one?
Give Sennheiser UK a ring and speak to Martin Gathard in Service Dept.

Ask him the question and he will give you the best advice.
Old 27th December 2018
  #6
Gear Nut
 
trymonlam's Avatar
 

Waking up an old thread here. Anyone found any lead on replacement drivers for O300 yet?
I called Sennheiser and they say they can't help. The current Neumann version is not compatible and the original one is obsolete.
Old 4th January 2019
  #7
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trymonlam View Post
Waking up an old thread here. Anyone found any lead on replacement drivers for O300 yet?
I called Sennheiser and they say they can't help. The current Neumann version is not compatible and the original one is obsolete.
e-mail Andrew Goldberg directly - he is the Neumann loudspeaker Product manager - all Neumann and Sennheiser e-mails work the same way - first name dot last name @ Neumann .com (or @ senn heiser.com if it's a Sennheiser person).

He will tell you what the real situation is.

They may have kept a supply of bass units for repairs - but once they are used up .... It *may* be possibe to re-cone if new drivers are not available - but Andrew will know.
Old 4th January 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
e-mail Andrew Goldberg directly - he is the Neumann loudspeaker Product manager - all Neumann and Sennheiser e-mails work the same way - first name dot last name @ Neumann .com (or @ senn heiser.com if it's a Sennheiser person).

He will tell you what the real situation is.

They may have kept a supply of bass units for repairs - but once they are used up .... It *may* be possibe to re-cone if new drivers are not available - but Andrew will know.
Please note the woofer is corrected by internal eq. It would be necessary to send the speaker if the repaire is possible.

The woofer is a beyma 8 woofer p.

Last edited by dinococcus; 4th January 2019 at 07:34 PM..
Old 4th January 2019
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Please note the woofer is corrected by internal eq. It would be necessary to send the speaker if the repaire is possible.

The woofer is a beyma 8 woofer p.
Not Beyma but Peerless.
Old 5th January 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenM View Post
Not Beyma but Peerless.
They have changed, sorry
Old 16th January 2019
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Hi peoples!

I have the same issue as you msflsim. Last week I was in contact with Andrew Goldberg on Neumann regarding this matter and here is three truths he told me that I thought I´d share with u guys:

1: They are all out of spare drivers(i.e bass driver, mid driver and treble). But they still have spare-parts for the electronics.
2: The bass driver from kh 310 will not fit in the housing of the o300
3: Andrew told me that there wasnt a good idea too recone the speaker.. (but I beg to differ, everything can be fixed/rebuilt)
3: The kh 310 is a better speaker in many ways. (my ass it is... )

Right now I have my o300 on the table of the swedish speaker mastermind Janne, who is the official Genelec repair dude in Sweden. He told me that a lot of the speakers from around that era are using the same drivers, cones and spiders.. on friday (17/1) I will have an answer if it is possible to find identical replacement drivers, cones and spiders, from other places than Neumann for the o300.
/Rasmus
Old 17th January 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
One issue with the 0300 is, when my mid driver failed many years ago I had to return it to Sennhiser who then sent it back to Germany so that the unit could be re-calibrated back to spec after the driver was installed.

I really love my 0300's but as they can no longer be repaired I only turn them on for final mixes and mastering duties in the vague hope they will last longer.

When Sennhiser dropped the K&H brand I knew it was going to be the end of servicing for the 0300's.

I better start saving for some ATC 20's
Old 17th January 2019
  #13
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
When Sennhiser dropped the K&H brand I knew it was going to be the end of servicing for the 0300's.
Sennheiser didn't actually "drop the K+H brand".

They rescued K+H as they were old friends of Professor Sennheiser. They found that in many parts of the world K+H was unknown and they re-branded the studio monitors as Neumann as that was better known and would open up countries that did not sell K+H. It made the brand viable insytead of dying.

All Neumann monitors have KH model numbers to show the K+H heritage.

The new nonitors are what would have happened even if they were still branded as K+H - in fact the earlier designes were all in progress before Sennheiswr decided to name them Neumann instead of K+H.

Andrew Goldberg is the Product Manager for Neumann monitors and is someone I hold in high reghard.
Old 17th January 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Sennheiser didn't actually "drop the K+H brand".

They rescued K+H as they were old friends of Professor Sennheiser. They found that in many parts of the world K+H was unknown and they re-branded the studio monitors as Neumann as that was better known and would open up countries that did not sell K+H. It made the brand viable insytead of dying.

All Neumann monitors have KH model numbers to show the K+H heritage.

The new nonitors are what would have happened even if they were still branded as K+H - in fact the earlier designes were all in progress before Sennheiswr decided to name them Neumann instead of K+H.

Andrew Goldberg is the Product Manager for Neumann monitors and is someone I hold in high reghard.
The employees of K+H are the same for Neumann (those was not fired)
Old 17th January 2019
  #15
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
The employees of K+H are the same for Neumann (those was not fired)
I think only one or two went when K+H was rebranded as Neumann.

But Sennheiser did move manufacture over to Ireland for the monitors.
Old 17th January 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I think only one or two went when K+H was rebranded as Neumann.

But Sennheiser did move manufacture over to Ireland for the monitors.
At my knowledge, when schneiser transfered the brand, the team stayed the same.
Old 17th January 2019
  #17
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
At my knowledge, when schneiser transfered the brand, the team stayed the same.
Yes - when Sennheiser renamed the brand to Neumann, everyone stayed the same except for the one or two people who were made redundant (one I knew personally). When they did this, the factory had already been moved to Ireland if I remember correctly.

I do not know how many original K+H staff were retained when Sennheiser acquired the brand.
Old 18th January 2019
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Has anyone come up with a suitable replacement driver for these?
I have the O192 version and one of the woofers has been damaged to the point that I'm not sure a re-cone would be possible (bent basket/magnet out of alignment.)

The woofer looks pretty obvious to be a Peerless product, model 830947. I don't see that on the tymphany website.
If anyone has the data sheet laying around somewhere that might be helpful in finding a current suitable replacement?

T/S parameters will be one thing, but the physical properties will be an issue too due to the baffle cut out and rear-mounting. The physical/size tolerances appear to be pretty tight.
Old 19th January 2019
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHazee View Post

1: They are all out of spare drivers(i.e bass driver, mid driver and treble). But they still have spare-parts for the electronics.
2: The bass driver from kh 310 will not fit in the housing of the o300
3: Andrew told me that there wasnt a good idea too recone the speaker.. (but I beg to differ, everything can be fixed/rebuilt)
3: The kh 310 is a better speaker in many ways. (my ass it is... )

/Rasmus
I am amazed that they are "all out" of all the drivers for the o300. Long term backup is one of the things you expect to receive when you pay top dollar for a professional product, and the K+H MSRPs were 'top dollar' when K+H were selling them. I consider that pretty shabby business practice—incompetant, at best.

I'm not surprised the Neumann 310s have incompatible drivers. The Chinese fellow to whom I sold my o300s said he was involved in the development of the 310s and that the drivers they used in the 310 were made in China, including the mid dome, although the mid and tweeter both look like the European made mids and tweeters of the o300.
He preferred the sound of the o300 to the 310. He had to leave his 5 o300s used for a 5.1 system in China, so he was glad to buy mine.
Old 19th January 2019
  #20
Gear Addict
this ^^^^
Very disappointing to learn this. Hopefully mine will last!
Old 19th January 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
Yes I've heard soooo many people say they prefer the sound of the 0300's to the 310's.

It doesn't surprise me!
Old 19th January 2019
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

The situation with replacement drivers is really crap as it's a great speaker. I've upgraded to the kh310 and I'm my room the kh310 sounded much worse than the o300 which surprised me a lot. When I had them side by side the o300 were more musical, everything sounded more immersive and like a finished mix. The KH310 on the other hand are much faster and accurate, they sound more effortless and make you work for it a bit more. I ran sonarworks and the correction was less severe on the o300 than the KH310. With sonarworks the KH310 in my room sound great. I upgraded to the KH310 mainly to avoid finding myself in a situation where I wont be able to fix them.

KH310 is a much more modern sounding speaker but the signature is very similar.
Old 19th January 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 

i simply cannot believe that a replacement is that difficult: after all, k+h got their drivers manufactured somewhere, maybe on their specs, but it should be possible to track down this source...

that distributors often aren't a big help (if any) when it comes to dealing with replacement parts doesn't come as a surprise: after all, their business model is based on selling new gear... (but it's a bit easy to declare 'oh, things got all shaken up when the company got sold/moved/whatever...")

i'd proably go so far and get two replacement woofers of current design if they physically fit and have specs somewhere close: i'd then measure after replacing one and maybe mount the second woofer to get the same response...
Old 20th January 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i simply cannot believe that a replacement is that difficult...
The replacement is not an issue. The issue could be how to correct the woofer by use the eight (O300) or nine (o300D) internal eq.

For asking for help from Schneider how to adjust the slope of the tweeter (they are different between them, out of warranty), the answer "return the speakers and we will do a quotation"

The slope can adjuste by the ninth eq

For the woofer, it will take search the use of others internal eq
Old 20th January 2019
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

Maybe Sennheiser could open up the calibration procedure for users who want to source other drivers in order to still continue using the monitors?

Moog is one of those companies that now since the Voyager has been discontinued, happily offers instructions on how to tune and upgrade the Voyager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
The replacement is not an issue. The issue could be how to correct the woofer by use the eight (O300) or nine (o300D) internal eq.

For asking for help from Schneider how to adjust the slope of the tweeter (they are different between them, out of warranty), the answer "return the speakers and we will do a quotation"

The slope can adjuste by the ninth eq

For the woofer, it will take search the use of others internal eq
Old 29th January 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Klein+Hummel o300 were my monitors of choice for decades now.
I still use them.
Tried many newer designs, incl. Neumann, Barefoot, ATC and stayed with o300.
I know some fill find it strange, but specific smoothness and resolution that I CAN use helps me enjoying the process.
I agree that o310 did not make favor to KH3.. range, older design is not inferior, but quite opposite.
Hope someone will find replacement, as these monitors truly deserve continued life.
Old 31st January 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
lionheart's Avatar
Its a longshot, and sorry to go off track, but..

Im looking for a Klein + Hummel O300 (Right) in case some of you are selling. Not sure if there is a difference between the D and A. But i have the D. And it needs a neighbour

All the best !
Old 2nd February 2019
  #28
Gear Head
 

That truly stinks about the loss of support for such great sounding and expensive speakers. I've loved my 0300D's for nearly 10 years now. I'm going to stay subscribed to this post. Hopefully one of you good people can sniff out a solution, even if I need to ship mine of for a known mode that maintains the 0300 standard and sound.

Thanks for the detailed information
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump