The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klein & Hummel o300 bass driver replacement?
Old 6th August 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
Manufacture for the K&H o300 already was in Ireland, if I remember correctly what I saw on the back of mine.

Also, re:" Neumann bought out the KH product line. How is it that they do not have an official solution to this? " Sennheiser is the entity that should be providing the solution, as they bought first Neumann and then K&H. At least they recognize quality.

Sennheiser also owes o300 owners a response in this thread, but I guess they're too big to get personal.

I find it hard to believe there's no NOS on these drivers.

Andreas? Daniel?
By EU law products have to be able to be repaired for a number of years after they have been discontinued.

Although that time may have passed (l’m not sure), it does look as if Neumann did not make enough spare bass units for the O300.

If I was them I would either re-manufacture a batch of O300 bass units, or, offer a replacement pair of the KH310 at a very low price as replacements.

Otherwise they run the risk of people rejecting the range because the long-term life of the product is not secure.

Unfortunately the excellent Neumann monitor product manager has now left the company and I’m not sure who is his replacement.

But I would certainly write directly to Sennheiser / Neumann management about the lack of replacement units - especially as a monitor is a long-term investment and the lack of spares after such a short time is worrying.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sadly as great as the o300 was/is, it falls victim of its own brilliant but compromised design. It is also why the low end sounds so much more natural than the KH310s.

The only way to really protect them is to pair them with subs and take the low end load off them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
By EU law products have to be able to be repaired for a number of years after they have been discontinued.

Although that time may have passed (l’m not sure), it does look as if Neumann did not make enough spare bass units for the O300.

If I was them I would either re-manufacture a batch of O300 bass units, or, offer a replacement pair of the KH310 at a very low price as replacements.

Otherwise they run the risk of people rejecting the range because the long-term life of the product is not secure.

Unfortunately the excellent Neumann monitor product manager has now left the company and I’m not sure who is his replacement.

But I would certainly write directly to Sennheiser / Neumann management about the lack of replacement units - especially as a monitor is a long-term investment and the lack of spares after such a short time is worrying.
Last time I heard it was seven years.

There is a review of the 310 dating back to late 2013. So there is a possibility that they are still obligated to support the original product, according to eu law. Anyway it's close.
Old 5th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hey guys, any updates on the K+H O300 bass drivers? My right speaker suffered a drop last night, and the bass driver has gone. trying to get in contact with the relevant people, but no one is answering, so I'm waiting until Monday for some answers. I hope you're all well, and that there's some answers out there!

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 5th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamierpond View Post
Hey guys, any updates on the K+H O300 bass drivers? My right speaker suffered a drop last night, and the bass driver has gone. trying to get in contact with the relevant people, but no one is answering, so I'm waiting until Monday for some answers. I hope you're all well, and that there's some answers out there!

Thanks,

Jamie
A few months after I bought my K&H 0300s I had a mid driver fail, Sennhiser replaced it under warranty and lent me a spare unit as they where pretty embarrassed as the speaker was only 3 months old.

Anyway, I was actuslly pretty disappointed with Sennhiser as though the monitor came back repaired the speaker cabinet finish was scuffed and the front panel was slightly out of line.

Still the one thing that did make me sit up and take note was the fact my monitor had around the houses as after the mid driver was fitted my speaker had been to special facility to be properly recalibrated as the design is infinite baffle and a change of driver requires proper recalibration to be back to ruler flat spec.

So in that respect Sennhiser did and good job and didn't just stick a driver in it and say ok it's fixed, the company pointed out to me there's more involved than a simple driver replacement.

I did think, this doesn't bode well for long term servicing if the range is discontinued as it has been!
Old 6th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

Still the one thing that did make me sit up and take note was the fact my monitor had around the houses as after the mid driver was fitted my speaker had been to special facility to be properly recalibrated as the design is infinite baffle and a change of driver requires proper recalibration to be back to ruler flat spec.
Could you re-write this sentence, please—it's not clear. And what does being infinite baffle have to do with the need for re-calibration with driver replacement—and how would this be accomplished—by modifying the analog crossover?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Could you re-write this sentence, please—it's not clear. And what does being infinite baffle have to do with the need for re-calibration with driver replacement—and how would this be accomplished—by modifying the analog crossover?
I'm simply quoting what I was told by Sennhiser when I asked why it was taking so long for my 0300 to be returned.

(I know there are covered pots on the back of the 0300 that the manual says never touch as they are only for factory calibration purposes)

Sennhiser told me the technical information i posted as way of an explanation as to why they had my 0300 for so long it was about three weeks, which considering Sennhiser is only a two drive from me seemed a long time (i dropped my 0300 off in person rather than shipping it) They told me my 0300 had been sent away for proper recalibration after fitting the mid driver, I excepted their explanation.

Are you implying they told me a load of BS?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm simply quoting what I was told by Sennhiser when I asked why it was taking so long for my 0300 to be returned.

They told me the above technical information as way of an explanation, which I excepted.

Are you implying they told me a load of BS?
No, I'm simply not understanding what you are saying. The sentence doesn't scan properly.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No, I'm simply not understanding what you are saying. The sentence doesn't scan properly.
Lol ....

This could go around in circles, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree but agree to part as friends on this one.

Best
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi all

Very happy to see this thread unexpectedly revived as I've also been looking for info on spare parts for my o300d's this week.

Mine are for sale and working perfectly and I've got a guy in Finland who really wants them but understandably doesn't want to buy something he can't get fixed if he experiences issues in the future.

I contacted Sennheiser here in the UK last week who got back to me very quickly and basically said they don't officially support them anymore but would be happy to help with certain issues although they no longer have many of the parts as per the info earlier in this thread. I thought that was pretty good of them for a product that's reasonably old now but it doesn't help my situation obviously.

So, has anyone had any luck getting repairs done by any speaker wizards or indeed found a secret stock of spare parts should anyone need repairs?!?

Thanks.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamierpond View Post
There are no more replacement drivers for the K+H O300.

Impossible to make any more.

I *did* suggest to Neumann a while back that they should offer a pair of the KH310 at a special price on the condition that the O300s were returned.

This would then give the user a new pair of monitors and Neumann would obtiun a small number of working bass drivers for any user who *must* have a replacement driver.

Don't know if they took up this idea.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This was a great suggestion but sadly Neumann never took this approach sadly or at least they didn't at the time when I had my units with them. I did ask if I could purchase a discounted pair of KH310s but they said no..

Quote:
There are no more replacement drivers for the K+H O300.

Impossible to make any more.

I *did* suggest to Neumann a while back that they should offer a pair of the KH310 at a special price on the condition that the O300s were returned.

This would then give the user a new pair of monitors and Neumann would obtiun a small number of working bass drivers for any user who *must* have a replacement driver.

Don't know if they took up this idea.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim View Post
This was a great suggestion but sadly Neumann never took this approach sadly or at least they didn't at the time when I had my units with them. I did ask if I could purchase a discounted pair of KH310s but they said no..
That's a great shame.

Most (all?) other quality monitor manufacturers can repair old models well beyond this sort of time period. It was not that so long ago that the O300 was still being made - less than 10-years I think - and that's an awfully short time to stop supporting a quality monitor.

I do understand that making replacements may be impossible - but at least they should offer new replacements at a special price.
Old 6th April 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
In the end (which we well may be nearing fast, God help us), it's posts like this one that are so much more helpful in the choice of a monitor than the endless
technical blather we all love so well. Thank you, John. And shame on Neumann.
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I hope my 0300's never stop working as I love using them so much, but if that day ever comes there is absolutely no way
I will ever be buying another product from Sennheiser. Period.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just had an enlightening chat with the fellow I sold my o300s to three years ago. He had been involved in some Sennheiser/KH projects.

What I learned was the reason that parts are not available for the o300 is that Klein und Hummel were a very small company indeed, with a staff of perhaps 6 people, and were probably not able to afford to keep a stockpile of parts for all their models. The public perception of K&H was much larger tha the reality, it seems.

He remembers the bass driver for the o300 was made by Peerless (with Vifa being the mother company for them and Scanspeak), but he didn't know the model number. He did suggest that any replacement should be a pair as the single driver would have very different characteristics from the original due to break in lowering the fs.

He was also interested in the nature of the failure, as the driver is so heavily protected by limiters that voice coil burning should be nigh-on impossible, but surround failure is a possibility, but a good tech should be able to fix that, if it was a matter of re-attachment

Long and short: whether it is a voice coil failure (overtemp) or surround failure, both are repairable by a skilled tech and, failing that, a skilled tech should be able to remove the functioning driver, measure its specs and source something similar from the likes of Peerless or Vifa and plug those in to replace the originals. That way the box would be useable and not a complete loss, but it would not be reference quality anymore—for that, re-calibration would be necessary and the only people qualitified to do that would be at Sennheiser, and they would not do that on anything but the origianl bass driver.

So... the only other alternative is to sell them for parts.

Last edited by Russell Dawkins; 7th April 2020 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: new information re: rubber surrounds
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's not so easy. Each o300 woofer is equalized to sound like others o300.
It's mandatory to have the service manual for know which internal eqs used
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
It's not so easy. Each o300 woofer is equalized to sound like others o300.
It's mandatory to have the service manual for know which internal eqs used
Is that what those covered pots are for on the back, that the manual says to never touch.

It may be the technician I spoke to was telling me BS to impress me or explain away why they kept my monitors for so many weeks.

But he said my 0300 (which had a failed no driver) had been IIRC sent back to Germany to be recalibrated in their anechoic chamber facility!

I excepted his explanation, though it did seem a bit OTT simply to replace a mid driver .... but hey, I'm not a monitor designer so who knows.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Unless you are running the o300 with subs, the bass drivers are bound to fail sooner or later which wouldn't be a problem in itself if Sennheiser/Neumann still offered spare parts and service for them.

I loved my o300 so much but the KH310 is a much better monitor and is still supported.
Old 7th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Is that what those covered pots are for on the back, that the manual says to never touch.

It may be the technician I spoke to was telling me BS to impress me or explain away why they kept my monitors for so many weeks.

But he said my 0300 (which had a failed no driver) had been IIRC sent back to Germany to be recalibrated in their anechoic chamber facility!

I excepted his explanation, though it did seem a bit OTT simply to replace a mid driver .... but hey, I'm not a monitor designer so who knows.
If you want, you can play with this eq and see the result.
You memorize the starting position.

I knew the last eq on the right when you see the back is a high shelf for the tweeter.
I used it to fix the slop (bad setting's factory) of the right tweeter. Schneiser didn't want to help me for speakers without warranty.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If you want, you can play with this eq and see the result.

I knew the last eq on the right when you see the back is a high shelf for the tweeter.
I used it to fix the slop (bad setting's factory) of the right tweeter. Schneiser didn't want to help me for speakers without warranty.
Right, so under those plastic caps are pots that EQ the drivers.

How do they differ to the visible user EQ on the back that the manual says you should use to tailor the response to taste, for example rolling of bass if you have the monitor in a corner.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Right, so under those plastic caps are pots that EQ the drivers.

How do they differ to the visible user EQ on the back that the manual says you should use to tailor the response to taste, for example rolling of bass if you have the monitor in a corner.
I know only the action of last eq on right. For the others, you have to test and see the effect.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
it might be for treating the impedance response of each driver.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I know only the action of last eq on right. For the others, you have to test and see the effect.
Well at this point my 0300's are perfect, so I've no need to mess with anything.

I never light up the limiter and I use K14 calibrated monitoring so I never really go over about 77dB therefore with luck, hopefully my drivers will keep going - I've had my 0300's for 12 years and apart from one mid-driver failing only three months after buying them (the classic bath tub electronic failure curve) they have been so far (again fingers crossed) reliable.

If I ever have to change I would go for those ATC active 20's.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim View Post
I loved my o300 so much but the KH310 is a much better monitor and is still supported.
The KH310 should be supported for much longer - it was just the old O300 bass driver was impossible to repair or obtain (I discussed this with the product manager - now left, unfortunately).

But I would have thought that Neumann could have supported O300 owners with KH310 replacements on the condition that the O300s were returned.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I
No you don't ! - you take a photograph of the pot settings before you start fiddling.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No you don't ! - you take a photograph of the pot settings before you start fiddling.
With a piece of adhesive tape stuck near the eq mark, you put a mark on the pen.

I never give a solution that I don't test. Acoustic measurement software must also be used and the microphone placed against the driver.

Last edited by dinococcus; 7th April 2020 at 06:47 PM..
📝 Reply