The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any opinions on new ATC tweeter vs old . . . ? Studio Monitors
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
No, not possible-although I did pursue this idea for quite some time.

The reason is drivers can vary 1/4 dB to 1/2dB in sensitivity. (Non ATC SL or CLD drivers can vary even more). The "calibration" is adjusting an amp pack for flat output with THIS unique set of drivers. That way one speaker can exactly match another. Some of our customers can hear a 1/4dB difference between things.

If you just pick a standard and set all the amps to that, the speakers will vary in tonality one set to the next, left to right, and this is not acceptable. That's how mass production does it and not how ATC does it. I've talked to Billy about this directly. He insists that every ATC 50 speaker sounds exactly like another ATC 50- this is what makes atc a cut above. This is important room to room and studio to studio.

We are still discussing this actively every week with England and how we could get this upgrade done.

Brad
Ok, so Brad confirmed my prior post so no need for me to chime in again on this idea.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
isn't it the T25CF001 ? Seas T25CF001 (6Ω)
. . .
I missed my easiest chance at the upgrade when I had an event canceled up in the UK some time ago and had planned to bring the monitors with me for the upgrade work.

So I finally just ordered a new pair of the SEAS T25CF001 E0006-06. I'll run with these for a couple of years and then revisit the upgrade to the new tweeters when I need some capacitors replaced in the amp packs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post

. . .
I certainly don't envy atc for having to go through the process. But I do hold them in higher regard for even making the upgrade available at all.
I agree that ATC is very solid for making the upgrade available at all. They could have just slapped new model names on their lineup and left it at that.
Old 9th October 2017
So just swapping SEAS right? let me know how it sounds ! I might do it for my 2005 pair too.
My SCM50 from 1992 will go for sale, Ill list them cheap. considering you can upgrade to brand new so many years later is just brillant.

Swing you are in Paris do you have a studio page? links? cheers from the Alps
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

Oui, pour le moment c'est beaucoup plus simple. J'ai vous envoyé un PM.
Old 2nd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mev dinc View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

I actually moved back to the UK from Turkey in May last year.
And, ATC were kind enough to organise the shipment of the system all the way to their factory!
After the upgrade they shipped the system to London where I live.

Here's the link to the ATC forum where there's more info and pics.

ATC forums - View topic - MevDinc's System

I've attached a pic with the upgraded tweeters, the originals were with the matching white plates whereas the new ones are all black, which make my EL150s even more unique!
so you are selling them ?

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/ATC-EL150A-L...EAAOSwPRxZdxgp
Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes! :(

I'm having to go back and forth between Turkey and England and unable to use them in my small London flat as I would like.

Thanks.
Mev
Old 2nd November 2017
sorry to hear that ! good luck then
Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
sorry to hear that ! good luck then
Many thanks!
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Head

Hi All,

I'm happy to report that, in the end, I decided to keep my ATC EL 150s.
They are back in their dedicated listening room in my Istanbul house.

I'm glad I kept them as I'm just so happy to be listening to them again after months of waiting!

BTW, the monster in the middle with the black grill is the ATC C6A centre speaker.

Best.
Mev
Attached Thumbnails
Any opinions on new ATC tweeter vs old . . . ?-atc-3-drivers.jpg   Any opinions on new ATC tweeter vs old . . . ?-atc-all.jpg  
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mev dinc View Post
Hi All,

I'm happy to report that, in the end, I decided to keep my ATC EL 150s.
They are back in their dedicated listening room in my Istanbul house.

I'm glad I kept them as I'm just so happy to be listening to them again after months of waiting!

BTW, the monster in the middle with the black grill is the ATC C6A centre speaker.

Best.
Mev
Wow Mev, that looks amazing.

Brad
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
Wow Mev, that looks amazing.

Brad
Thanks Brad!
Old 28th March 2018
Dang ! that's great news, enjoy !!! that must be a delightfull experience.
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Dang ! that's great news, enjoy !!! that must be a delightfull experience.
Many thanks!
Old 17th November 2018
Here for the gear

I am sorry for digging up an old thread but I have just bought some 13 year old ATC SCM150ASL speakers and I have booked them into the factory for the tweeter upgrade and service. Unfortunately it will be at least a couple of months before they can fit me in.

Whilst I wait I have been comparing them to my resident Spendor SP200 speakers and Pass Labs XA60.8 monos. To be honest I was rather underwhelmed by the ATCs. The bass was not tight or well defined, mids and the top end were rather closed in with no sense of space or detail. I am sure the ATCs are not giving anywhere near what they can do because my friend had curved SCM40 actives and they sound fantastic.

So I have started a bit of exploring to see if I can get my ATCs to show a bit of magic before the upgrade. In a random way I was giving the bass drivers a bit of close inspection and noticed that the surface of the bass foam surround did not look quite right. When I touched it my finger went straight through. I now know the surrounds are perished which cannot help. The factory did mention that the mid range drivers might need new surrounds and I now wonder if that is also likely.

I then took out the tweeters and cleaned out all the old ferrofluid. I do not yet have new ferrofluid but I figure I am safe at lowish listening levels. Anyway, wow, the top end is back. The ferrofluid did not look too 'cloggy' but maybe it was. After all, it is 13 years old.

I am now more impatient than ever to get my speakers back to the factory.
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Fourlegs

I suspect your 150s are perhaps older than 13 years. Are they active? Yes you need new woofers mids and then of course the tweeter upgrade. If active they will need recapping as well and perhaps other amp service. Are the woofers SL, with an SL sticker on the cabinet?

If not SL this would be an upgrade as well.

I would say in that condition they sound nothing like current 150s. The good news is that they can be brought back to current spec, just not cheaply.

Brad
Old 17th November 2018
Here for the gear

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your comments.

They are actives. The factory thinks they are 13 years old from the serial numbers. They have SL bass units (I have taken one out and looked on the back) and they have the later amps as confirmed by Pete at the factory from photos I sent him.

So I will have to wait and see what else needs doing when they get there but the cabinets are totally unmarked Rosewood (and I mean not even a scratch anywhere) so it will be worth getting everything done that is suggested to all drivers and amps.

Nick
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

Good you had the factory look them up. The amps should be recapped for sure, that is affecting top end significantly (should do at the 9-10 yr mark). New Drivers all around would make them sound great!

This is much more difficult to do when you aren't close to the factory. We can do a lot of stuff in Las Vegas, but an owner has to get them here, which can be expensive shipping as they have to be crated. We are about to start tweeter upgrades, but it's been a long process of getting the right gear to mirror the factory settings. Tweeter upgrades in the field are even more difficult. We'll start in our service shop first, but when we add in field tweeter upgrades it will mean taking a bunch of gear and flying to the site-and maybe even hotel if you have to wait till next day to fly home. Travel expenses really add up, freight is cheaper!

Brad
Old 17th November 2018
Here for the gear

Luckily I am in uk and it is not impossible for me to use my horse lorry to deliver them personally.

Nick
Old 18th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourlegs View Post
Luckily I am in uk and it is not impossible for me to use my horse lorry to deliver them personally.

Nick
Very lucky!

I had SCM150ASL exactly 13 yo as well. They sounded absolutely stunning, even the tweeter "upgrade" seemed a luxury as they were already sounding just great.
No recap, or anything. I have to add the previous owner didn't use them much.

Nick, if yours are very clean but sound "old" maybe they have been abused (long listening hours and loud) in a totally "museum" consmetic way?! that's pretty funny.

Anyway, what a chance to be able to drive to the factory! enjoy those fabulous beasts, all the best.

Last edited by DownSideUp; 18th November 2018 at 09:23 AM..
Old 18th November 2018
Here for the gear

DownSideUp, Mine were owned by a gentleman who was 89 when he sold them. He had them from new as a present from his son who worked for ATC. Interestingly they come with metal stands and also matching Rosewood solid bases which are sort of similar to the look of the current Aniversary models.

The owner might have been playing Led Zepp at full volume 24/7 but I rather doubt it.
Old 18th November 2018
Ok, interesting that they are quite tired then, if lightly use. Atc would know what to do for sure.
I used to have SCM50A from 1992 (I think) and yes I could hear the abuse, non-SL woofer, out of spec mediums and probably amps. My SCM150ASL from 2005 were fine, I'd be curious to hear brand new 150s with ATC tweeters! but I don't have the money so I just fell back on a cheaper pair, other brand.

Great that you are close to ATC. Enjoy !
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Nut

Hi Fourlegs! It sounds like yours were probably either abused, just blasted all the time or poorly taken care of.

Once you get them recapped and new drivers installed, you’ll have the biggest smile. ATC 50 and the models above are just absolutely wonderful speakers to work on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search