The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Evil Twin DI on Bass or whatever Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 27th December 2006
Gear Nut

Evil Twin DI on Bass or whatever

Who's used it? Who loves it? Is it worth it? Tell me everything ya know about it. I'm thinking about trying one.
Old 27th December 2006
Here for the gear

evil twin

I have had one for over 12 years. I also have the Mic pre attachment.
This is one of my favorite DI's. Sometimes it doesn't work well with an active bass, but overall it is a real great DI.
Also with the attachment it is a really cool mic pre. Reminds me of my V72 only a little cleaner, but still it has a cool character.
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

Best DI ever, IMO.

-dave
Old 28th December 2006
Mic Pre attachment??? Tell me more. I love mine, I did a shootout a couple years ago with 3 different basses and like 7 popular DI's. Some had better attributes then others, but for "Rock" bass it was the best overall.
Old 28th December 2006
Gear Addict

The best on bass!!!!
Old 29th December 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecprod View Post
Mic Pre attachment??? Tell me more. I love mine, I did a shootout a couple years ago with 3 different basses and like 7 popular DI's. Some had better attributes then others, but for "Rock" bass it was the best overall.
Bruce @ eclair makes a little box that plugs into the input with a 1/4" jack and has an XLR jack on it. He also puts a jack on the back of the evil twin that connects to said box to get phantom power to it. It is a must have if you like your Evil Twin, and want to use it for other stuff too.

i have used it a ton as a mic pre, but it still my favorite DI hands down,

If my phone didn't die today I would have posted a picture.
Old 31st December 2006
Gear Addict

Evil Twin DI???
Can't find it when I google it. Is there an official home page? Dealer?
Old 31st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman View Post
Evil Twin DI???
http://www.mercenary.com/eclair.html
Old 31st December 2006
Gear Addict

Its a great DI. Best I have used for bass and rhodes.
Old 31st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G View Post
Best DI ever, IMO.

-dave

Old 1st January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
yes, but no picture, no price. Just the name "Evil Twin"......
someone help..?
Old 1st January 2007
Read the fine print about why there is no picture.
Old 1st January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Read the fine print about why there is no picture.
yes.... I read it.... but....
My original question was:
Where can I find/have a look at the Evil Twin DI wich you all love so much?
This link does not offer that.
An official homepage would be great also.
And a price
If it's such a great and famous DI box why is it not on the internet somewhere???
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it's such a great and famous DI box why is it not on the internet somewhere???

Unlike an SSL, this doesn't get many photos. I went through my collection, and amazingly I don't have a good photo of it either. I've used it a million times though.

http://www.discmakers.com/music/pse/images/eclair.jpg
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear
It doen't get a lot of photos because it ugly.

And Bruce sorta does what he feels like doing at any given moment....he's also had some health issues. But both the Evil Twin and The La La limiter are IMHOP best of class.

I have a Brick...which is a nice DI....but if I had an extra grand floating around it would be easy to send it to Bruce. The Evil Twin finds tones that no other box reproduces.
Old 1st January 2007
I talked to Bruce about 6 months ago. He now makes the pre-amp option built in and no-longer uses the little box on top or on the side for connection. He also said that he don't reconfigure the unit to the new case.

I got mine about 2 months ago from a pawn shop. Excellent craftsmanship and sounds good.

Like Steffmo said Bruce does not advertise, He has some illness that he had a hard time keeping up with demand so he went to selling them from word of mouth. You are not going to go into a GC and get to test one etc..

I think the price was like $1250-1350 for a DI with preamp built (you can't add it after the fact). I think it's priced at $900 as just a Di.

I can scan the manual if you would like but it will take a day or two.
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm interested ... seems to me that support could be a bit of an issue. What tubes does this thing take? Could it be easily repaired by other people? Does it come in a 240V 50hz option?
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Carr View Post
I'm thinking about trying one.
If you can get one buddy we can patch it in next to the Gordon and Sunrise STI. Should be some interesting comparisons.

Steve
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

you want to talk to dave martin. he's a studio owner and bass player here in town, and has shot out just about every DI you can imagine. he owns an evil twin, and uses it regularly. search him out on here and send him a PM.

--jon
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear
http://www.mercenary.com/eclair.html

Will give you his contact. I don't think he even bothers with a web site any more.

If Bruce wanted it that way, his name would be in the top 5 of tube brains in the world, IMHOP. His stuff is beyond phemoninal.

I imagine the resale could get pretty interesting after he retires.
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Evil Twin DI???
evil twin
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

The video is pictures only - no sound clips (unless the soundtrack featured it, there is nothing to say it does). It directs you to the basstasters site to hear it.

I just have issues with the Basstasters methods - there is no way you can compare preamps fairly from that site.

As somebody always has to point out - bass sound starts with the fingers. Even though the same grooves are played each time, there is very obviously a huge variation in the way they are played. The Sansamp one for example is played much faster - possibly an indication of the players bias against it. (I'm not a fan either, but at least give it a fair trial).

There is a huge variation in guitars, pickups, strings, string condition, not to mention the player's attitude on the day.

All this site does is reinforce for me that there are quite a few DI boxes that don't completely suck, and a good engineer should be able to use any one of them.

I'm not excited about investing in a tube box based around a tube that may be unobtainable. I would definately favour one that takes a popular available tube.

I have no doubt the EvilTwin is very desirable though.
Old 18th February 2016
Still around?

Are these still being made? Tried emailing the company but no answer yet. Hopefully someone has some news?
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Addict
You really should try the Zod DI like a Reddi on steroids
Old 18th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
I have a reddi but find it too hyped on the low end for some material and find myself cutting a lot come mix time, but when it works it's glorious. Is the zod as big sounding?
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Are these still being made? Tried emailing the company but no answer yet. Hopefully someone has some news?
Yes but Bruce only does a run about once a year, once he gets enough orders to make it worth his while. Or that's the way it was a couple years ago when we did the DI test.

There are several great DI's out there. The Juice Box from Retrospect being another favorite as well as the Ampex, the Motown DI from Opticon, the TAB V72 the REDDI, the Avalon U5, etc...

Take a listen and decide for yourself...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zwzu5cjlf...1T1NAZxwa?dl=0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V-U93h8T7EU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcg4bZPCXvM

Enjoy!
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Active or passive bass makes all the difference when deciding on which DI. you'll hear that in the above tests.

I keep 5 different DI's here to cover all my basses (pun intended) and my Chapman Stick (Ampex, Motown, Retrospec, Countryman and Whirlwind. Plus I have several DI's built into custom Quad Eight, Electrodyne and Melcor lunch boxes that I own based on Cienmag and Jensen transformers.

I have also found over the years that for certain upright electric basses only the Melcor custom DI can reproduce it in full.
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Guru

hey ... another owner of the ZOD ID DI !!!! i love mine seriously .. if i could marry it i would today !! so far in this country you can only marry a woman, same sex, or your sister in some areas !! no Electronics yet !!

how can we pass the word about Dan's DI .. someone should make him a website ...

Quote:
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
hey ... another owner of the ZOD ID DI !!!! i love mine seriously .. if i could marry it i would today !! so far in this country you can only marry a woman, same sex, or your sister in some areas !! no Electronics yet !!

how can we pass the word about Dan's DI .. someone should make him a website ...
Zod Audio | ID instinctual, untamed tone- the opposite of your average di. here is dans website for the ZOD DI
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Guru

thank you thank you for the Link ... i just did a google search and it did not come up !!! only the gear online site .. strange .. i am sending Dan an email to let him know .. if he does not already ..

thx again fellow Zod'r

Quote:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search