The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tracking and Mixing on Different Analog Multitracks
Old 9th June 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
What precautions should I take and what risks should I be cognizant of when tracking and mixing on different 2" 24-track multitrack machines?
Quote:
Different operating levels (+6 versus +9 over 185 nWb/m) make a difference, but different bias settings make a HUGE difference.
True, but if you're just mixing (playing back), bias doesn't matter.
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
True, but if you're just mixing (playing back), bias doesn't matter.
The OP specifically asked about tracking and mixing, so I commented about both REPRO and RECORD.
Old 10th June 2015
Gear Guru

I didn't say you were wrong.
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Head

I couldn't take it. I Skipped after the first 4 or 5. The A80's (all of them) are like the MCI JH16 or AMPEX 1200......Xfmr In/Out....The A827 is like the Sony APR24....Differential Op-Amp In/Out, w/ more Computer controlled alignments. You ask a stupid question. So, I'll give you another one. How can I know what you hear?

Last edited by mcijh; 20th July 2015 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 21st July 2015
You should have zero problems going from an A80 to an A800. The transport of the A800 is in another league and it's ideal for mixing

Once you've used an A800 for a while you'll be spoilt for any other multitrack

Nick Froome
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Head
I have owned both mci and studer
They both sound great but the mci was a pos and broke all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
For me it was a A80 mk 4 that was used in a studio in Northridge, CA. Mike Frenky was one of the AE's there. He started out recording Vanessa Williams' first CD, "The Right Stuff" when he moved over to O'Henry studios in the Valley for some dubs.

Everyone heard the big low end and top end difference playing back A-80 tracks on O'Henry's MCI/SONY JH-24 Mk3. After some complaints, the owner sold off the Studer and bought the MCI. The rest is history as they say, platinum sales and the launch of a new superstar.

Mk1's have all transformer I/O and even a transformer as a step up on the playback heads. Later versions used higher impedance heads dropping that step up transformer (still retained for the sync head). One major problem was the limited 12k hz playback bandwidth of the A-80 mk4. That made track bouncing a PITA. I would use Aphex type III exciters to add some extra top end harmonics as they were filtered out by the A-80.

The MCI had a full 32k hz playback bandwidth (it had modified record/playback cards) on the sync heads, making track bouncing easy. We used a Dolby SR rack and Scotch 996 tape at +9.

I recall Sound City in Van Nuys, I did some sessions there back in the mid 1980's. It was sort of a dump, stained crappy shag carpet on the walls and a permanent smell of spilled beer. The Neve was beat up and several channels didn't work. I offered to fix them and such, but the owners couldn't be bothered as people still paid for that broken console.
Old 22nd July 2015
Lives for gear

If a MCI isn't re-built after a period of time it can be a difficult machine to use.
However, if the machine has been refurbished it should operate flawlessly.
The Studer are better built, are more reliable and they don't sound as good as the MCIs and Ampex machones.
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Head
Mine was a yellow top Jh-100 24 track head stack that I had the head stack relapped, really slow relays.
Problems with the molex connection, to the point that I gave up on it.
The 2 A80's I have 16 track and 1/2 2 track sound awesome at 15. They hardly ever break.

The MCI sounded great too.
Old 23rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975api2488 View Post
Mine was a yellow top Jh-100 24 track head stack that I had the head stack relapped, really slow relays.
Problems with the molex connection, to the point that I gave up on it.

The MCI sounded great too.
JH-100s were probably the worst MCI machines of them all.
DC CAPSTAN MOTOR, but AC REEL MOTORS.
They also had the electronics mounted on the fold-down board.
I once had a JH-10 16 track and it had the same type of electronics arrangement.
It always had issues with bad Molex pins on the motherboard.
IT SOUNDED GOOD, THOUGH!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search