The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IGS One LA vs AML 54F50
Old 18th May 2015
IGS One LA vs AML 54F50

Okay, so I am looking to add a solid compressor for vocals to my 500 series rack. I am intrigued by both The AML 54F50 and the IGS One LA. Both of these units seem to be highly regarded though there is $500 difference in price, possibly even greater since used One LAs are readily available. Would anyone like to chime in on these two units in particular? I will be using this compressor as my primary vocal compressor for softer genres, such as Jazz, Blues, and Indie Folk. Any audio samples would be much appreciated, as there are few on the web.

Thanks
Old 18th May 2015
It's not a comparison of the two, but IGS has a high quality ONE LA video demonstration on YouTube that has five or more instruments including vocals on it. It gives a solid idea of what it sounds like and what it's capable of.
Old 18th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
It's not a comparison of the two, but IGS has a high quality ONE LA video demonstration on YouTube that has five or more instruments including vocals on it. It gives a solid idea of what it sounds like and what it's capable of.
Watched the video, Its pretty great on every source shown. I would love to hear it on multiple types of singers male/female to get a better idea.
Old 18th May 2015
It's neutral as far as overall tone goes. In terms of spectral balance there isn't an emphasis on the mids or highs. It reacts like you expect an la-2a to (which is great as a leveler for most smooth type of singing). For more aggressive or fast singing you may want to combine it with something faster like a FET comp.
Old 18th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
It's neutral as far as overall tone goes. In terms of spectral balance there isn't an emphasis on the mids or highs. It reacts like you expect an la-2a to (which is great as a leveler for most smooth type of singing). For more aggressive or fast singing you may want to combine it with something faster like a FET comp.
Hmm, maybe The One La might be the better choice for me, as I usually record softer singers. It seems to be transparent, but still adds a little body and warmth to the vocals. Can anyone explain the type of color I would get from the AMl 54F50, and would it be more or less useful than the One LA?
Old 19th May 2015
I haven't used the iG LA but have two real La2a's. The 54f50 gets much more use around here than them. In character terms it adds a little weight (maybe better termed as 'authority') to the signal and a little high end sparkle. I think Colin has some product videos on YouTube. I'm afraid I can't share any client tracks as they aren't mine to share.
Old 19th May 2015
Also add the la500 from jlm onto your list. Its been my main vocal compressor for about a year straight now.
Old 2nd June 2015
Gear Maniac

We finally did some samples of the 54F50:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Audiomaintenance

Many thanks to Keir Stewart at Inch Studios in Manchester (Inch Recording Studios - Audio and Video Production in London, Manchester and Cardiff) for doing these videos.

Colin
Audio Maintenance Limited - Support Zone
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear
Can't compare with the AML but the OneLA is a great sounding comp
especially on vocals
Old 4th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
Also add the la500 from jlm onto your list. Its been my main vocal compressor for about a year straight now.
+1 on the JLM LA500, it has the La3a vibe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search