The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midforward Speakers Studio Monitors
Old 17th May 2015
Midforward Speakers

Hello.

I have a tendency to like "Mid" too much, so my mixes turn out a bit too mid forward. I really have to force myself taking away mid and going "Yuckkk " everytime i clear it the way it "Should be".

So I was thinking to maybe change my main speakers could help me get where I need to go more easily.

Areas where I allways go too far: 90-130 Hz // 800-1000 Hz // 3000-4000 Hz

My main speakers are the FOCAL SM9. The imaging and clarity are truly amazing but they seem to lack the punch around (90-130Hz) that is really crucial.

I have my dear NS-10´s that I will never ever ever get rid of but I still want a pair of main speakers that delivers a bit more of what I´m missing. I guess I could say I want them to be "Harder" if that makes any sense?

Anyone out there that could recommend a good set of speakers that are Mid forward?

(I dont like: Genelecs, Adams, Krk´s...)

Thank you friends!
//Ted
Old 17th May 2015
Your issue isounds like is the room not the Focal SM9's. Many who have them do not have a problem with those certain freq's. How much acoustic treatment do you have in your studio?
Old 17th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Your issue isounds like is the room not the Focal SM9's. Many who have them do not have a problem with those certain freq's. How much acoustic treatment do you have in your studio?
Our studio rooms were professionally built in the 90´s and and are treated good.
However there is a cancellation at 120Hz and another one further up that I cant remember and the room overall is very dry. So youre absolutely right and I have that in my calculations.

But I started thinking about it when I worked with a friends SM9´s in another studio and experienced the same feeling.

Have you worked with the SM9´s?

Thanks
Old 17th May 2015
I had a similar problem and after shooting out a bunch of monitors ended up with PSI A17 but as stated above, worth shooting your room and playing with placement first to make sure it isn't a problem you can't actually do anything about
Old 17th May 2015
Every monitor will have different dips and boosts in a particular room. I have used the SM9 in a well treated room and was blown away from them. Did not hear the issues you had.

I am sure you know this but just moving your monitors a couple of inches can make a big difference. When I added Yamaha HS5's to my studio I moved my Focal Twins several inches. I found It changed the entire sound of my monitors. I ended up changing the EQ on the Twins with the high and low to more flat settings to get close to the sound I had previously. Not to mention getting out a ruler and verifying both speakers had the same height and distance from the back wall.
Old 20th May 2015
Gear Nut

Check the amphions , some people (me included) find them very ns10 friendly but still well balanced and a pretty nice bottom end, so Much fun to work with !!
Old 20th May 2015
Jai guru deva om

I second the PSI Audio A17M recommendation, not necessarily mid-forward but very linear in the mids without any scoops or peaks.

War
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

I suggest you to try Genelecs 8351. Very forward but natural and clear midrange. Actually the best midrange I have ever experienced and I am a sucker for midrange as I mainly do rock/pop rock live music with loads of guitars and live drums. IMHO light years better than anything Focal I have heard. With many other speakers I was pushing my midrange (ATC, Neumann, Klein Hummel, Focals). With coaxial Genelecs 8260 and 8351 I don't do this and they immediately let me know if I want to go too far with midrange.
Old 20th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Krotkiewski View Post
Hello.

I have my dear NS-10´s that I will never ever ever get rid of but I still want a pair of main speakers that delivers a bit more of what I´m missing. I guess I could say I want them to be "Harder" if that makes any sense?

Anyone out there that could recommend a good set of speakers that are Mid forward?
//Ted
I know exactly what you mean. I'm one of the minority of people who actually enjoys the sound of NS10s when paired with a Bryston / good amp!

I recommend you listen to a pair of ATC SCM100 (I'm sure other ATC also have great mids...).

The ATC is the best monitor speaker I've heard on balance, and has amazing mids. I also have barefoots (scooped a little like SM9, but not as much IMO) and the ATCs are in another league.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search