The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Stereo channel "Extra Wide" button Analog Processors (HW)
Old 17th May 2015
Deleted 7f9cade
SSL Stereo channel "Extra Wide" button

Can someone who regularly works on a SSL 4000 describe this?

I don't know if the 6000 or 9000 has this feature.

I've heard a few mixers describe that they like to send hard panned guitars out a stereo channel and use the extra wide button to spread them.

Is it the same as all these "stereo width" plugins just better sounding?
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
Can someone who regularly works on a SSL 4000 describe this?

I don't know if the 6000 or 9000 has this feature.

I've heard a few mixers describe that they like to send hard panned guitars out a stereo channel and use the extra wide button to spread them.

Is it the same as all these "stereo width" plugins just better sounding?
I use it for what you describe sometimes, def some phasing going on, dont know exactly how it works but to me a plugin like S1 imager sounds the same
Old 17th May 2015
Deleted 7f9cade
Thanks Showcase. I wonder why this button never made it into any of the various SSL channel strip plugins.
Old 17th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7f9cade View Post
Thanks Showcase. I wonder why this button never made it into any of the various SSL channel strip plugins.

Guess the plugins are based on the mono version.

The AWS48's pan control is repurposed to a width control in stereo channel configuration, but this is most probably just a full stereo over to reverse, via mono.

The 4k is pretty wide without that button, or ITB seems narrow in comparison being the current normal.

The Extra wide button has a filter circuit you can punch in also, to stop any bass phase weirdness.

Have four stereo modules in my console for a while.. and waiting for the opportunity to use this button
Old 17th May 2015
Deleted 7f9cade
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
Guess the plugins are based on the mono version.

The 4k is pretty wide without that button, or ITB seems narrow in comparison being the current normal.
For sure. SSL is a -4.5 pan law from the start right. I wonder if hard panned elements using the extra wide button completely disappear when doing a mono check?

For the record I mix on a X-rack, X desk combo with 52 inputs. No extra wide button for me.

The best ITB plug Ive found for hard panned spread is the waves center. That plug seems to spread elements with the least amount of phaseyness and bass loss.. And I always try to use as little as possible to get the spread I want.

Im sure there is a new one out there that is better. I just haven't looked.

Let me know your thoughts on it when you get a song that warrents using it on your SSL. somehow I have this idea that an SSL designed circuit VS a plugin would achieve "better" results.

Thanks.

Last edited by Deleted 7f9cade; 17th May 2015 at 09:45 PM..
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear

Basically here is what the wide button does. It takes each side of the stereo signal runs it through a high pas filter then inverts the phase. After that it puts some of the inverted phase of the left channel to the right and the same goes with the right side. You can do this with any decent mixer it just takes 4 mono channels. Try it it works quite well just make sure you don't go over board as it will goof up your mono comparability.
Good luck.
Old 18th May 2015
Deleted 7f9cade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Burrows View Post
Basically here is what the wide button does. It takes each side of the stereo signal runs it through a high pas filter then inverts the phase. After that it puts some of the inverted phase of the left channel to the right and the same goes with the right side. You can do this with any decent mixer it just takes 4 mono channels. Try it it works quite well just make sure you don't go over board as it will goof up your mono comparability.
Good luck.
Thanks Skip. Good explanation.
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Hello guys! I know the topic is already old, but is there any way I can precisely re-create the SSL Extra Wide option with some plugin? I mean, how much stereo spread does SSL generate?

Cheers!
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmanoel View Post
Hello guys! I know the topic is already old, but is there any way I can precisely re-create the SSL Extra Wide option with some plugin? I mean, how much stereo spread does SSL generate?

Cheers!
you could look at what is suggested above and alos look at M/S Processing in your MAstering !!
Old 22nd January 2018
Some Soundcraft modules have that circuit. I have a couple. It's called the "width" control. It takes the signal and combines it in and out of phase (no filter) and you have a variable pot from mono to wide. I use one on the Bricasti M7 returns to wrap the reverb around your head.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

the Allen & Heath Consoles have one of these as well !!! used to love mixing TV shows with that .. put it on the Music Stereo Bus and the Dialog had this sweet little hole to sit in !!!
Old 4th November 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmanoel View Post

Cheers!
Good question. +1
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search