The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Alpha Link MADI SX Audio Interfaces
Old 16th May 2015
SSL Alpha Link MADI SX

Hello Gearslutz,

I have two SSL Alpha Link MADI SX units. I need to convert 36 channels coming in via MADI cable to analog. How can I set this up with these SSL boxes? Thanks!
Old 17th May 2015
Do you have a MADI card? SSL has the MADI extreme and RME makes one too. I'm not sure what else you could be asking?
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
Hello Gearslutz,

I have two SSL Alpha Link MADI SX units. I need to convert 36 channels coming in via MADI cable to analog. How can I set this up with these SSL boxes? Thanks!

You need a madi extreme 128

the sx and ax are not designed to daisychain for use with the madi extreme 64,

Check this for more info

Can I combine an Alpha-Link MX and an Alpha-Link MADI-AX or MADI-SX to have 64 inputs or outputs to/from a MadiXtreme or MX4?
Old 19th May 2015
Gear Nut

This 'may' work but I don't have 2 units to test it for sure right now.

Connect your MADI cable into the first unit, connect the MADI out on unit 1 to the MADI in on unit 2.

Set unit 1 to have analog first so that analog is 1-24, in the routing menu route MADI->MADI, MADI -> analog and MADI -> AES

Set unit 2 to have AES as the first in the MADI stream so that 1-24 are AES and 25-48 are analog. In the routing menu route MADI -> analog and MADI-> AES

That should give you 48 analog outs!
Old 19th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullscale View Post
This 'may' work but I don't have 2 units to test it for sure right now.

Connect your MADI cable into the first unit, connect the MADI out on unit 1 to the MADI in on unit 2.

Set unit 1 to have analog first so that analog is 1-24, in the routing menu route MADI->MADI, MADI -> analog and MADI -> AES

Set unit 2 to have AES as the first in the MADI stream so that 1-24 are AES and 25-48 are analog. In the routing menu route MADI -> analog and MADI-> AES

That should give you 48 analog outs!
I quote Jim from SSL: "AX/SX units were not designed to be cascaded over MADi, and while you can do it there will be a delay between the 2 Alpha Link AX/SX boxes.”
Old 19th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwel View Post
I quote Jim from SSL: "AX/SX units were not designed to be cascaded over MADi, and while you can do it there will be a delay between the 2 Alpha Link AX/SX boxes.”
This page from the SSL site seems to suggest the same as I did. They also mention being able to combine SX and MX units so it seems plausible that it would work.
How can I use the Alpha Link units to give me 48 channels of analogue I/O through my DAW?

Also as the signals will be not be going through any additional AD to DA conversion the delays introduced will likely only be a couple of samples
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search