The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What mic/pre to get this acoustic guitar sound? Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th May 2015
Here for the gear

What mic/pre to get this acoustic guitar sound?

..the intro to "Oh My Stars" by A Weather.

I am looking to buy a mic and pre, primarily for acoustic guitar. I would like to get something close to this sound. Any suggestions??

If you want to cheat and view a list of likely suspects, I believe that track was recorded at Type Foundry Studio.

Thanks.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Nobody on earth besides the people who were involved in the recording can tell you what mic/pre was used.
It's definitely a mono mic, but honestly what matters is the actual guitar used.
If you like the sound of the guitar so much, try and find out what kind of guitar they played.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Maniac

I agree It depends on what Gtr they used I've been Liking the Pacifica by a designs and the Mojave 200 very lush sound . But research more on the Gtr used .
Old 16th May 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks, perhaps I should consider a different guitar.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

I have no idea what they used but you should be able to get close without knowing their exact specs.

Listening to the song just now, it sounds a helluva lot like my '66 Martin D-35, which sounds incredible via a Neumann KM54 mic, and we'll typically use an Avedis MA5 with this combo. The results are rarely anything but stellar. The rest is up to the guitarist.

Whatever they used, that guitar tone has enough low end fullness and authority that it's probably a dreadnought, and since the bass is tight it's likely a small diaphragm condenser microphone. Big mics are full but more sloppy, by comparison, in that frequency range.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

I was hoping the sound asked for would be like the intro hits of "Old Man Took".... which I've been trying to get Geoff Emerick to talk about for 30 years Oh well.

The sound on the op clip sounds to me to be pretty vanilla 21st century .... new strings on the guitar..... large condenser of most any brand/type ( I don't hear small condenser on the sound ala 452eb) and the guitar itself is tuned down to increase resonant ringing. It's in a live spot too. At least the way I hear it.

I don't personally like that sound as the high end is way too harsh (as are the vocals), but such is the state of recordings circa 2008-2015.

Now, if there'd be more questions on how to get the guitar sound at the intro of "The Great Mandella".... ahhh..... but for that, we'd need to still be able to ask Phil Ramone. I better be careful or I'll be threadcapping.

By the way, I'm not familiar with the group or the engineer, but a fast google shows the engineer to be a guy named Adam Selzer. The studio in Portland has pics.... I can now visually see that guitar in that large room pic.....

I stand by my conclusion on how to get the sound, but you may want to contact Adam Selzer at his studio link to get direct info on what he did for that track.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Maniac

You can approach this result with a Schoeps CM 51 and a V 76
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search