The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trading my Mpressor for 2 Distressors Studio Headphones
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Nut

Trading my Mpressor for 2 Distressors

A lot of people here don't seem to like the distressor but I really like my Fatso so I'll see how it works for me. I know I'll miss the Mpressor but I got it used so the $$$ difference is OK. If this doesn't work out I'll probably do what I should of done in the first place forget about drum bus compression and get a Foote ps3 me for mix
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

I am not aware of Distressor haters but then again, haters will be haters and there is certainly one for everything that hate may be applied to.

A lot of these my opinion vs your opinion threads do not take into account the sort of music people are (trying) to make nor what their specific goals/skills/budgets are. That said, I could share my opinion so someone can jump in and say it is 'wrong' - I think the Distressor is great. For my uses it is very versatile doing a lot of sounds well: VCA (lack of external sidechain is a little annoying), faux FET via distortion, and a faux OPTICAL mode, all of which I like and use regularly. [deleted by mod]it IS categorically true that it is not an 1176 or a LA2A in its faux modes.

[deleted by mod]

I see Distressors in pretty respected and serious peoples racks all the time so it seems entirely possible that they are OK. Should be less than $2k for a pair - sounds like a deal to me.

Last edited by [email protected]; 16th May 2015 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: Keep it for the playground
Old 16th May 2015
I don't hate the Distressor but sold mine shortly after buying it, did not like the sound though the functionality was awesome. I do not generally like the sound of compression though to be fair. I ended up with a 1968, it was very good, have a couple 500 series modules around that are great also. A lot of great engineers seem to love Distressors, so I would not be unconfident in them. I just don't know of any tasks where a Distressor is the best sounding choice available.
Old 16th May 2015
Always worth trying different units so you can work out what you like and what you don't. Lots of people like them for smashing the drum bus! But let's not stoop to calling people 'haters' just because they prefer something else. They are just tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Milner View Post
I don't hate the Distressor but sold mine shortly after buying it, did not like the sound though the functionality was awesome. I do not generally like the sound of compression though to be fair. I ended up with a 1968, it was very good, have a couple 500 series modules around that are great also. A lot of great engineers seem to love Distressors, so I would not be unconfident in them. I just don't know of any tasks where a Distressor is the best sounding choice available.
Likewise. this stuff is very subjective (you'll often hear me say so). It's fine for people to like different gear and have different preferences. It's what makes the world go around. I have a distressor because travelling engineers expect them. And while they are a bit of a Swiss Army knife and therefore potentially very useful I don't think I have ever thought 'this needs the sound of a distressor on it'. I'm just not a fan of the tone.
Old 16th May 2015
Quote:
Likewise. I'm no 'hater' because I understand this stuff is very subjective (you'll often hear me say so). Indeed, I have one because travelling engineers expect them. And while they are a bit of a Swiss Army knife and therefore very useful I don't think I have ever thought 'this needs the sound of a distressor on it'. I'm just not a fan of the tone.
Well said, I agree in any public rig people expect to see a distressor.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Nut

Corey that's what I'm worried about it's funny because I was thinking about a 1968 then I'll have money left over to put towards a EQ. I been shooting all sorts of ideas around in my head but the distressors come first. The Mpressor is a nice piece but I would be messing with it for hours to get the sound I want. I know that's one of the complaints about the distressor. Everybody doesn't hate them and I did hear a lot of good things about the distressor but the bad is what seems to stick when your spending so much $$$
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Maniac

I held off getting distressors for ages cause I was worried I wouldn't love them, but as soon as I bought a pair I fell in love with the sound and the functionality...
It's funny, I often think 'this needs the sound of a distressor'!! I guess all our tastes vary!
All I'm saying is I didn't go near them for ages cause I thought I'd not use them enough since I don't work on much rock or heavy music, but they are a totally essential part of my rig now both for tracking and mixing!
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks lain same here but I held off because money then when I had enough I saw the Mpressor used for a great deal and got it instead of the distressors. I love my Fatso and I know Dave makes great gear. Plus I'll only use it for kicks and snares so I'm not asking for a lot if I get more out of it I'll be happy. But it has to kill on them two.
Old 16th May 2015
I tend to compress ITB with Nebula, the only time I compress OTB is on the way in and even then only as needed to reel in very dynamic parts a little, and in a very minimalist type of way. I'm not a person who can grasp loving the sound of what a Distressor does, to me it's a compromise. If I can avoid compression on the way in, I do. Same for EQ. I would only use EQ where there's a problem.

I change mics or mic placement when I need fundamental changes. You can always find a sweet spot.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Nut

I hear you Corey. Thanks, but the closest I come to a computer is my kindle.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

I'm assuming you are getting two Distressors plus a bunch of cash in trade for your MPressor? Two used Distressors are worth like $1700 total and a used Mpressor is worth at least $3,500 if not more... Even if you are getting two brand new Distressors that's a terribly uneven trade.
Old 16th May 2015
Quote:
I hear you Corey. Thanks, but the closest I come to a computer is my kindle.
Ha ha, awesome. I love it man.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks logic but I got a great deal on the used Mpressor and the el8x Distressors are new. But it wouldn't be the first time I took a loss to get what I want. Plus I can return them and get my money back but I'll never find that Mpressor for that price. It's not a done deal and that's what made me start this tread because I'm waiting for the call when they arrive. I'm not getting cold feet but nobody has chimed in for the Mpressor either. Other than the $$$ difference you let me know about.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Addict

mpressor and el-8's are both monster boxes

if I could only have one it would be a tough decision
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp12adam View Post
Thanks logic but I got a great deal on the used Mpressor and the el8x Distressors are new. But it wouldn't be the first time I took a loss to get what I want. Plus I can return them and get my money back but I'll never find that Mpressor for that price. It's not a done deal and that's what made me start this tread because I'm waiting for the call when they arrive. I'm not getting cold feet but nobody has chimed in for the Mpressor either. Other than the $$$ difference you let me know about.
the price difference reflects where a product is made, not the traditional adage 'you get what you pay for'. in Europe a couple of distressors cost about the same as the elyssia, and there are a lot of distressors out there. so if you're considering letting the elyssia go, it's probably the right move.
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Addict

Wow. I wouldn't make that trade. I'd keep the mpressor. The tonal shaping on that thing makes it so much deeper and useful to me than a distressor and the negative ratios and.... I digress. I totally understand getting bored with a piece of gear, but I would sell the mpressor and buy 2 used distressors. You could have a party with the leftover cash.
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear
you can probably get 2 distros and an xpressor if you sell the mPressor
and buy used
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks Paul Your right. I wish I had enough money to have both If I had a collection of high-end compressors I wouldn't even think about letting it go. But it doesn't get used much for something that costs so much. I don't need to make a profit selling it and I'm cool with a even swap Plus the distressors will be new so I'm happy for now. If you don't see a post by next week you know the answer
Old 20th May 2015
Gear Nut

I've had them for 2hrs you can't dig in like the Mpressor but I knew that going in. But I can smooth things out and get them to fit a lot easier and they kill on drums. My first day with the Mpressor I was second guessing my purchase but I was fair I gave it 6months I even got a EQ for the sidechain to help. If I owned the distressors prior to my purchase I would of kept the Mpressor without a hesitation it is a killer piece. Thank you to all the slutz that chimed in
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search