The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gain staging Pro Tools with API DAW Software
Old 15th May 2015
Here for the gear

Gain staging Pro Tools with API

Looking for a consensus, or at least opinions...

We have 32 outputs of PT 12 through the Burl Mothership returning to an old API. The faders have to be at 50% or lower to do any kind of mixing. The Burl outputs are crazy hot.

Does anyone change the gain to or from PT when using a console? I assumed we wanted PT to be gain-neutral. I know that processing tracks adds level, but for a simple test tone in & out, shouldn't it be the same?

We measured a tone at +4 & sent it to the PT input, which read -18. If we record it at -18, what should the console meters be showing when playing back that same tone?
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

I am assuming the Burl has calibration pots? If so, you would need to calibrate your converters so that your console VU meters read 0vu(or reads +1.23 volts on a voltmeter) when you send a -18dBFS tone out of ProTools.
Old 15th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
Looking for a consensus, or at least opinions...

We have 32 outputs of PT 12 through the Burl Mothership returning to an old API. The faders have to be at 50% or lower to do any kind of mixing. The Burl outputs are crazy hot.

Does anyone change the gain to or from PT when using a console? I assumed we wanted PT to be gain-neutral. I know that processing tracks adds level, but for a simple test tone in & out, shouldn't it be the same?

We measured a tone at +4 & sent it to the PT input, which read -18. If we record it at -18, what should the console meters be showing when playing back that same tone?
So your inputs are at 0VU = -18dBFs then right?

What are your outputs at? if you're sending a 1k tone @ -18dBFs from PT, what does it hit the console at? it should be 0VU (or measure +4dBu on a meter). It's probably too hot right now....you don't mention above what the levels are like.

What levels are your signals within PT like? if your signals are all hitting 0dBFS in the box, that's your problem - you're too hot there, not coming out of PT.
Old 15th May 2015
Here for the gear

So 0Vu from console = -18 in PT & then -18 from PT = 0VU at console. I think it is, but can't measure for a few days.

Thanks for the input!
Old 15th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
So 0Vu from console = -18 in PT & then -18 from PT = 0VU at console. I think it is, but can't measure for a few days.

Thanks for the input!
Exactly. That's "unity gain" and then if it's still too hot at the console, your source is too hot
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search