The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a Neve Pre to go between a U67 and LA2A 500 Series Preamps
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I currently own 6x 1073LB pres and are very very nice.
+1 on the 1073LB. Very nice pre.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Addict

Great River MP-2NV. (1073 style) ...All day long. Then grab the EQ-2NV (1081/1083 style) that patches into the mic pre's circuit and completes the channel strip. Awesome.
Old 16th May 2015
One great thing about Great River too is the support, Dan Kennedy is just such a great guy. Absolutely top notch right across the board.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Heritage over BAE seems a pretty easy decision. With a 67 and an LA2A, putting a BAE in between would be a real weak link IMO, especially for vocals.
What??? I use the BAE regularly next to Great River, Wunder, API and it gets used the most often. Seriously sounds fantastic! I'd love to add some Aurora, Heritage, and AML ez1073 as well. But if you think BAE is a weak link then I suspect you've either experienced a faulty unit or haven't used one personally.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

And +1 on the Great River also. I have their 500 series pre and it kills!
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Heritage over BAE seems a pretty easy decision. With a 67 and an LA2A, putting a BAE in between would be a real weak link IMO, especially for vocals.
How is BAE a weak link? It's handmade stuff that is super common in pro studios? Are you saying BAE is a weak link because it's more expensive?
Old 16th May 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme David View Post
How is BAE a weak link? It's handmade stuff that is super common in pro studios? Are you saying BAE is a weak link because it's more expensive?
I think BAE doesn't sound great on important sources like vocals, and I'm hardly the first to notice this. It has weird resonances that I guess people are getting used to because it's indeed pretty commonly used these days, but those weird resonances sound nothing like the vintage Neves it's emulating. For example, there's a sort of cloudy, hyped muddy sound in the lows that stays static, which gives the distracting feeling that you're hearing the gear, not the vocal. I think it messes with a coherent presentation of the mids, which obscures the emotional content of the vocal. I also think that given the low quality of most modern singers and songs, the BAE is more than adequate for 99% of the people that use it.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Check my previous post. This guy bashes BAE on every thread I've seen that mentions BAE. I'd wonder if he worked for a competitor but all the Neve clone makers seem to be hardworking small business guys who have passion for pro audio so I don't know what his problem is.

As far as the preamps are concerned, AMS makes a great sounding 1073 probably the most balanced of the three but also the most expensive. The Heritage seems a touch more midrange prominent but very nice. The BAE is a touch richer/darker. Both the heritage and BAE have a similar in look , feel and price. The reason why I preferred the BAE is because it reminds me more of the vintage 1073s I've had the pleasure of using. Though in fairness, vintage 1073s can be a little all over the place sonically. More importantly, the differences between these units in absolute terms is small. Any of them should be a great match with a U67 and an LA2A on the right source. I think its safe to say between BAE, Heritage, AMS, Aurora, Great River, AML, there is really no wrong choice just slightly different shades of goodness

Quote:
Quote:
Old 16th May 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Check my previous post. This guy bashes BAE on every thread I've seen that mentions BAE. I'd wonder if he worked for a competitor but all the Neve clone makers seem to be hardworking small business guys who have passion for pro audio so I don't know what his problem is.

As far as the preamps are concerned, AMS makes a great sounding 1073 probably the most balanced of the three but also the most expensive. The Heritage seems a touch more midrange prominent but very nice. The BAE is a touch richer/darker. Both the heritage and BAE have a similar in look , feel and price. The reason why I preferred the BAE is because it reminds me more of the vintage 1073s I've had the pleasure of using. Though in fairness, vintage 1073s can be a little all over the place sonically. More importantly, the differences between these units in absolute terms is small. Any of them should be a great match with a U67 and an LA2A on the right source. I think its safe to say between BAE, Heritage, AMS, Aurora, Great River, AML, there is really no wrong choice just slightly different shades of goodness
There are literally daily threads about BAE and 1073 clones and I've only commented on about 3 or 4 of them, ever. But every time, you hit back me at me for daring to express a negative opinion about a product you own. They're pretty expensive so I understand why you get so emotional, but could you kindly step back off my jock?
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hyped muddy sound lmfao,

Yeah I could say the heritage has a pushed pinched midrange thats way too prominent and gives and harsh edge to the crucial vocal midrange in a static distracting weird resonant way Whereas the vintage Neves and BAE have a nice rich lushness through the mids. Me saying it doesn't make it so anymore than your constant trash talking of BAE. It's just more BS disinformation thrown about on GS. Too bad

Going back to the OP's post . Rubbadub have you used a BAE or Heritage with a U67 and LA2A?

Expensive, the BAE pres is one of the least expensive pieces of gear I own. And I'm expressing my opinion too, fair enough.

Quote:
I think BAE doesn't sound great on important sources like vocals, and I'm hardly the first to notice this. It has weird resonances that I guess people are getting used to because it's indeed pretty commonly used these days, but those weird resonances sound nothing like the vintage Neves it's emulating. For example, there's a sort of cloudy, hyped muddy sound in the lows that stays static, which gives the distracting feeling that you're hearing the gear, not the vocal. I think it messes with a coherent presentation of the mids, which obscures the emotional content of the vocal. I also think that given the low quality of most modern singers and songs, the BAE is more than adequate for 99% of the people that use it.

Last edited by Palermo; 16th May 2015 at 07:29 PM..
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

To the OP.

Lots of blather out there.

Here's my LA2A, Here's my BAE, Here's my U67, 2nd from the right From hands on experience, the BAE is an awesome match especially when you have an outstanding vocalist who can really get the most out of these great tools

Old 16th May 2015
Quote:
I think BAE doesn't sound great on important sources like vocals
The BAE is superb on vocals actually. I have one here I use daily and am always pleased with the results, it's awesome.
Old 16th May 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Milner View Post
The BAE is superb on vocals actually. I have one here I use daily and am always pleased with the results, it's awesome.
All the usual caveats apply to my comments: we're talking about relatively small differences here, voices are highly individual instruments and Bae could be just the ticket for some, etc.
Old 16th May 2015
I can't imagine anyone having a negative opinion of this BAE unless they didn't understand what it is and what it is intended to accomplish, because it's stellar at that.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your ears hear such a thing? Well, there are notables who have BAE all over their records and studios and these are respected musical veterans who have sold millions. I can only guess that Deleted User might want to have a hearing test. Maybe share some of your high end material with us....
Old 17th May 2015
Deleted User
You guys are right, I'm probably the first person in history to think BAE clones aren't as good as the real thing. #BatEars
Old 17th May 2015
Quote:
I'm probably the first person in history to think BAE clones aren't as good as the real thing.
Aaah yes, "the real thing versus..." Geoff from Aurora has written some extremely intelligent and insightful posts on the specious nature of "real thing versus..." type thinking.
Old 23rd May 2015
Here for the gear

I sold the bae 1073 mpf after hearing the Aurora Audio Stinger. The stinger is hand built and has di.
Old 23rd May 2015
Quote:
sold the bae 1073 mpf after hearing the Aurora Audio Stinger. The stinger is hand built and has di.
BAE also has DI. 2 + thru actually which I love. I do want to try some of Geoff's gear, fairly impossible here in Calgary but if I ever hear of someone local owning a Stinger I am going to beg them for a try. I'd have to say Aurora pres are the number one thing I would like to try that we don't have in our market. Geoff's posts are amongst my faves.
Old 23rd May 2015
BAE is where it's at. Period. I'm done. heh

Aurora Audio is what a 'Modern' 1073 would sound like if Rupert kept in that direction instead of RND.

Rupert's own Shelford series is also A+. The Porticos are a tad too clean for me on vocals, but are amazing on everything else.

u47u67u87
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Haha. Brilliant. I love Gearslutz babble.

The original question was about pairing a Neve pre with a U67 and an LA-2A - Amazing how highly polarised people can seem to avoid direct "well have you actually used this gear" questions

I've never actually sat down and shot out a Neve, BAE, Heritage and AMS, or used an Aurora. I was using a BAE 1073MP on vocals last night actually, and it sounded great for the voice and song.

The only time I've used a U67 > Neve > LA-2A it was with a vintage 1084. That really worked, I used it a lot across an album with a female gravelly belted vocal.

Then again I sort of like what the EQ circuit does in a Neve module, even if you're only just touching the vocal. Are you sure you don't want to invest more in the pre!?!?

It's all just personal preference at that level, can't you go to your local dealer and borrow all the pres on your list... You'll soon get your answer.
Old 23rd May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post
I've been looking at Heritage, BAE, and maybe GR.

The Great River is my go to vocal pre amp for many years. I now have on a loan the Heritage pre which is the best "Neve" type unit to my ears. It is clearly above the the rest and picking inside revealed it is quit true to the original. It is fantastic vocal pre amp (as well as EL GTR, Acoustic, Sax,so far).
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

I've owned the AMS-Neve 1073 DPD, Great River, BAE 1073 and Avedis MA5.

The AMS-Neve and BAE were my favorites and, honestly, it buy which ever one I could get the best deal on.
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

I am an orphan living in Bangladesh and I'd really like a way to record my sisters beautiful singing voice but we live in a place with no 1073's U67's or LA2A's - can you please advise me what we should do?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search