The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it an RCA 77-DX or 77-D ??? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Addict

Is it an RCA 77-DX or 77-D ???

Hi everyone,
How can I tell if this RCA ribbon mic is a 77-D or 77-DX ??
There is no writing to be found on the mic except from the RCA logo.
Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Is it an RCA 77-DX or 77-D ???-_57-1.jpg   Is it an RCA 77-DX or 77-D ???-_57-2.jpg   Is it an RCA 77-DX or 77-D ???-_57-3.jpg   Is it an RCA 77-DX or 77-D ???-_57.jpg  
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

To me it looks like a D where someone replaced the middle part of the body assembly with a DX. It's hard to tell for sure though. Really the only important difference between the two designs is a slight change in the transformer, and RCA went through so many different production runs with so many different suppliers for parts that it would be almost impossible to tell by comparing transformer markings. If you sent it to ENAK or Wes Dooley or something they could probably tell you what's going on, assuming you really need to know. The sound is pretty damn similar between those two models. Looks like a nice mic though, grille cloth is still in good shape.
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
To me it looks like a D where someone replaced the middle part of the body assembly with a DX. It's hard to tell for sure though. Really the only important difference between the two designs is a slight change in the transformer, and RCA went through so many different production runs with so many different suppliers for parts that it would be almost impossible to tell by comparing transformer markings. If you sent it to ENAK or Wes Dooley or something they could probably tell you what's going on, assuming you really need to know. The sound is pretty damn similar between those two models. Looks like a nice mic though, grille cloth is still in good shape.
Thank you Marcocet.
It's a mic I bought off eBay. Still haven't received it and am trying to figure out with the seller what to do as he doesn't know either...
I have been told that the D has a lower output than the DX and that it's also more "polished" sounding with less of the high mids which the DX is known for. I am going for the DX mid-rangey sound for punchy mono overhead, horns, vocals etc so I am hoping it's a DX
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

I can tell you that we have one of each, and though they are a bit different I still have no problem using them interchangeably. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
I can tell you that we have one of each, and though they are a bit different I still have no problem using them interchangeably. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way
Ok since you have both you must be in the know!
And you wouldn't say that the DX has a slightly more midrangey and gritty sound character compared to the D ? Can you describe the difference?
Thank you
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Here is a short voice audio sample of my 77DX...set on UNI..going thru the Pacifica mic pre.

This is just a few seconds of the longer, variable settings test
if you'd like to hear the full version PM me. Basically, the variable settings selector on the mic changes the pickup pattern via a metal deflection plate that rotates around the ribbon, and the roll off selector dials down the bass response of the mic.
Attached Files

RCA77DX Test.mp3 (872.9 KB, 821 views)

Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

I can't say that I've ever put them both on stands with the same source to compare them, so I'd be hard pressed to discuss the exact differences. Suffice to say that I just grab whichever one's in arms reach
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear
The pictures you supplied are from a D, not a DX. The easiest way to tell is the pattern selector surround, which is diamond shaped on the DX.

RCA Type 77-DX
Old 15th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
The pictures you supplied are from a D, not a DX. The easiest way to tell is the pattern selector surround, which is diamond shaped on the DX.

RCA Type 77-DX
thank you so much - great tip!!

Thank you all for your help, it's greatly appreciated!
I will keep searching for a 77DX in good shape, preferably in Europe.
Old 15th May 2015
Gear Nut

I have 2 RCA 77-DX mics that look like that.
You won't know unless you open them up.
Old 28th May 2015
Here for the gear

I've been using my 77D for several months on a new album. It's a tremendous tool - great on jazz gtr amps and for mid/side micing of acoustic nylon. I've had great results using it into a Focusrite ISA1, using low impedance, and averaging about 50-65 dbs of gain. The 'girth' and fat mid-range characteristics lend a 3 dimensional quality to sources in a way that none of my other condensers do. It's been very advantageous in the iso room; the multiple patterns allow me to attenuate or increase the amount of room in the track. Absolutely love the thing.
Old 28th May 2015
Looks just like my 77-D. Except for that middle band.
Old 28th May 2015
Gear Addict
I don't know about you, I'm pretty sure that's a Neumann U47. I've seen one before.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search