The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dramastic Audio Obsidian Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 14th May 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 
sam c's Avatar
 

Dramastic Audio Obsidian

Can any of you users of this 500 series bus compressor give me any input on this unit? A sales guy I like is trying to steer me in this direction. I was looking more at the Smart C1LA but he thinks in the long run this would be a better buy.

Thanks
Old 14th May 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
Can any of you users of this 500 series bus compressor give me any input on this unit? A sales guy I like is trying to steer me in this direction. I was looking more at the Smart C1LA but he thinks in the long run this would be a better buy.

Thanks
The Obsidian is really nice. It's a little wider and perhaps a hair more open and hifi sounding with a nice slight sheen to it's color. It's awesome on the stereo buss. The C1LA is perhaps a hair more narrow and a little more obvious in it's action. When I was testing out G384 style compressors a while back these were the two finalists. I ended up buying the Smart C1LA because for my specific taste it had a little more aggressive smack and it was a sound that I was very familiar with, but I have never forgotten the Obsidian and might end up getting one at some point. An Obsidian on the master buss and C1LA on the drum buss would be killer.
Old 14th May 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 

See if you can get both to try and then send the one you like less back. That's the only way you will really know for yourself. Most likely you will be happy with either.

I have an obsidian now and had a c2 before. The obsidian gives you that final glue and sheen, but I only like it with a couple db compression. The c2 you could hit harder. Curious to hear the c1la.
Old 14th May 2015
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
See if you can get both to try and then send the one you like less back. That's the only way you will really know for yourself. Most likely you will be happy with either.

[snip]
^This^

This stuff is very subjective. It's a matter of taste. I prefer the obsidian for mixbus. YMMV.
Old 14th May 2015
  #5
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
I had an obsidian and smart 500 series in here.
I liked both.
Empire is dead on w/ his analysis.
for two buss I would go w/ the [to my ears] Obsidian.sounds a bit more weighty/ shimmery wider sounding to my ear.
smart would be great for drums.smack,etc.
Old 14th May 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
rectifried's Avatar
Obsidian is great ..
Old 14th May 2015
  #7
Does the 500 sound as good as the 19" version with the Dramastic? I love what I've heard and really want one. It seems to have the most magic of all the SSL stylee ones I've heard. No blend/parallel control though which at that price is unforgivable for modern workflows. Even the really cheap 500 clones have that feature these days.
Old 14th May 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
sam c's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
See if you can get both to try and then send the one you like less back. That's the only way you will really know for yourself. Most likely you will be happy with either.

I have an obsidian now and had a c2 before. The obsidian gives you that final glue and sheen, but I only like it with a couple db compression. The c2 you could hit harder. Curious to hear the c1la.
Good idea. I will order both and keep my favorite. I have to spend a little time with my new Xpressor first, then I will try these two.

Thanks guys.
Old 15th May 2015
  #9
Smart for Clean-Snap, Obsidian for weighty-smooth
Old 30th May 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
 
rectifried's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Does the 500 sound as good as the 19" version with the Dramastic? I love what I've heard and really want one. It seems to have the most magic of all the SSL stylee ones I've heard. No blend/parallel control though which at that price is unforgivable for modern workflows. Even the really cheap 500 clones have that feature these days.
I think the 500 has more features, and the wet/dry I dont miss..and if you actually hear, and USE this it is very " forgivable" to omit given the sound
Old 30th May 2015
  #11
Obsidian on my 2 buss, Serpent on drums. This combo kills IMO.
Old 31st May 2015
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifried View Post
I think the 500 has more features, and the wet/dry I dont miss..and if you actually hear, and USE this it is very " forgivable" to omit given the sound
Thanks for your impressions.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump