The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 4032 G+ vs STA Everest C3 Condenser Microphones
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Nut
SSL 4032 G+ vs STA Everest C3

As much as I plan to get rid of the LFAC in my home studio (SSL 4032 G+) I continuously keep finding other LFAC's I'd like to replace it with. I had originally planned on moving the SSL out and getting a few Artist Mixes, a Burl B32 for my summing needs and a nice Argosy Desk.

Upon browsing, I came across the all-tube Solid Tube Audio Everest C3. Completely loaded with 48 channels of TAB V76's. But, at over 1,000,000$ might be a little of a stretch.

If given the budget, would you prefer the SSL 4032 G+ setup, Burl B32 and Artist Mixes setup or the STA Everest C3 setup? As always, price doesn't always dictate sound. So, keep that in mind!
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Is this a serious question? I mean - really?

If you're interested in the Everest console, you do need to go there and get a hands-on. I've sat in front of it and played with the eq a while back, nice - very nice in fact, but way different from an E or G series desk. Also quite a rack of power supplies - you've never before seen anything like it. Certainly a dream desk, but will it ever make back its investment? That depends on your customers I guess.
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
Is this a serious question? I mean - really?

If you're interested in the Everest console, you do need to go there and get a hands-on. I've sat in front of it and played with the eq a while back, nice - very nice in fact, but way different from an E or G series desk. Also quite a rack of power supplies - you've never before seen anything like it. Certainly a dream desk, but will it ever make back its investment? That depends on your customers I guess.
I'm wanting something different. While the B32 and Artist Mixes seem to be the better way to go for my clientele. The Everest has caught my eye. Never working on an all tube board also has piqued my interest.
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Their EQ is a unique design, a bit different from what you'd expect. They also wanted to make this available as a 19" stereo outboard version. The first approach would be to get one of these and find out if you would like having that in every channel.

The desk has an unbelievable amount of tubes in it, but they've come up with a few great ideas to extend tube life - everything seems to be engineered to the highest standard possible, not to sell or to make the compromise.

At that date when I saw/heard the desk they also set up a recording with a very good guitar player and I remember being very impressed with what I heard - I'm quite skeptical usually and not easily impressed by expensive looking equipment. But then again, it's well restored V76s that are being used for the mic preamps, they do sound impressive.

However, I don't know what kind of automation system they would use. They used a modified desk frame from an SSL, but I don't think the SSL computer was used for the desk. Dunno, but a decent automation system with recall would be in order in my opinion.
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
Their EQ is a unique design, a bit different from what you'd expect. They also wanted to make this available as a 19" stereo outboard version. The first approach would be to get one of these and find out if you would like having that in every channel.

The desk has an unbelievable amount of tubes in it, but they've come up with a few great ideas to extend tube life - everything seems to be engineered to the highest standard possible, not to sell or to make the compromise.

At that date when I saw/heard the desk they also set up a recording with a very good guitar player and I remember being very impressed with what I heard - I'm quite skeptical usually and not easily impressed by expensive looking equipment. But then again, it's well restored V76s that are being used for the mic preamps, they do sound impressive.

However, I don't know what kind of automation system they would use. They used a modified desk frame from an SSL, but I don't think the SSL computer was used for the desk. Dunno, but a decent automation system with recall would be in order in my opinion.
The V76 pre's is perhaps the biggest selling point for me. Using vintage Siemens and tons of high end knock offs I'm sold on the V76. But, as you stated the Automation would need to meet my standards. The beauty of the Artist Mixes and B32 is I can completely recall everything I do within Protools. Although, this is not a Analog vs. Digital discussion. I hear a huge difference in Analog vs Digital and have always preferred the Analog side of things.

I've got a great deal on a buyer for my 4032, and have enough funds to swing for the Everest. But, again never working on a all tube desk I'm very scared to make such a leap without getting extensive information. I've contacted STA for a demo, but I also need to make the trip to Germany to do so. With the budget used for the Everest I could get 3-4 amazing boards, tons more outboard, more microphones and build on a Studio C, D and E to our place.

But, look at the Everest. It sure is beautiful, and I'd love to be sitting behind it. Also, with the price of the Everest I'll also have to build a dedicated machine room to house the power supplies and etc.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search