The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Design Pacifica & BAE 1073 Condenser Microphones
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Head

A Design Pacifica & BAE 1073

I have a BAE 1073 and I use that mostly for male vocal tracking. With the bae I've been using a Neumann u87ai (sometimes a Miktek CV4 or Sm7b or akg 414). My converter is an apogee duet 2.
So I wanted to add someting else, a different sound to my home studio an I've just purchased the A Dedign Pacifica (on its way). I just want to ask if you have experience with both pre's and would you think the Pacifica brings a whole different sound to my studio for vocal tracking?
Tell me more about the sonic differences between the two ..

Also if you have any suggestion on what mic to use with the Pacifica from my mic collection or something else that i should consider getting.

Thanks.
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Yes the Pacifica will surly bring a different sonic tapestry . You'll love the clarity on the high end a bunch . Enjoy
Old 13th May 2015
Jai guru deva om

Making the move from one solid state transformer design from the 1970's to another solid state transformer design from the 1970's may, in the end, mean a little less than you hope.

If you really feel the need for another pre I would grab one with an EQ on board, which will always mean more than swapping preamps when mix time comes.

War
Old 15th May 2015
Gear Addict

I agree with warhead. You're not getting much difference by having both. Sure if you stick them both under a microscope you'll hear differences, but in the scope of a large project it won't really matter.

I've owned the BAE for a couple years and the Pacifica for about three years. I didn't like the BAE all that much, honestly I don't understand all the love they get, sounded sorta muffled and muddy to me. The Pacifica was really nice on keyboards, strings, overheads and female vocals. Hated it on electric guitars. Sounds nice on "pretty" sources. Great value for the money. Not as good as some of the better pres out there in my opinion, but you'll find plenty of folks who disagree with me on that. Great headroom and not fussy at all. It was my favourite on very dynamic, powerful, or shrill female voices because I knew no matter she did the Pacifica would have my back and not crap out on me and distort. Not the case with some of my other pres that although I think they sound better, I have to be more careful with.

I've now sold both the BAE and the Pacifica.

I think maybe as warhead suggested something really different with an EQ would have been a good choice. If you like A-Designs, the Ventura is pretty nice and would be a great compliment to the BAE. It's less muscular giving you more flexibility of tone, stays out of your way and has a fantastic EQ (amazing for vocals) and instrument input- perfect for the home recordist looking for lots of useful features in a quality package.
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

I have both and use both regularly. The BAE is warmer and I tend to use it mostly for vocals and voice recording, but it also makes a great electric bass DI/pre...for me the Pacifica excels for recording acoustic guitar, especially if you are recording a two mic set up, and is a great pre for use with electronic keyboards...I run my Korg Triton thru it.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

You will have a good range of big sounding mic pres. The Pacifica will not get as saturated as the 1073 and it is unlikely the 1073 will get as clean as the Pacifica.
Old 16th May 2015
Check out Advanced Audio mics, I own the C12, 47VE, CM67 and CM87, all superb and all different. Truly the best dollars I have ever spent in terms of adding new colors to the toolbox. I have a BAE DMP1073 and I love it. Also MA-5, also love that. If I were trying to go "different" I would not grab a Pacifica first, warhead nailed it. I would probably grab an api style pre next, then start drilling down the boutique flavors which suit you most. So many great choices if you have a lunchbox from console type flavors to never, api, and tube stuff - and all points between

Interesting sleeper that came on my radar lately is RPQ500. For the price that pre does things no other pre I ever owned can do. And Wes is just such an awesome guy, I love watching him on Youtube. We're blessed to have benefit of his knowledge and experience.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Head

So if not the Pacifica, than what api style preamp would you recommend instead of the Pacifica?
Someone at both the sweetwater and soundpure recommended me the pacifica, as a good choice next to my BAE 1073, in terms of getting a different sound and versatility....
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadaszgep2 View Post
So if not the Pacifica, than what api style preamp would you recommend instead of the Pacifica?
Someone at both the sweetwater and soundpure recommended me the pacifica, as a good choice next to my BAE 1073, in terms of getting a different sound and versatility....
Hardy is a good option to add to a 1073.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Head
The weak link in you gear is the duet. I'd step up your conversion before you swap out a mic pre. The mic pres you have are great. Grab a used symphony.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Head

I know. I've been thinking about the symphony for a long time. I did not get it since Im only recording single channel, vocal only at my home studio. I also record guitars but thats with the axe fx 2. But I've been thinking about the symphony for a long time
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadaszgep2 View Post
I know. I've been thinking about the symphony for a long time. I did not get it since Im only recording single channel, vocal only at my home studio. I also record guitars but thats with the axe fx 2. But I've been thinking about the symphony for a long time
You already ordered the Pacifica, why not play around and experiment first hand. And adding a API style pre to a Neve style pre is not a bad idea. Just don't expect anything too dramatic.

Generally, API sound more open and aggressive/punchy, especially nice for drums and can work for rock vocals as well. Neves are a little warmer,darker and thicker but as Warren and Sonic said the differences while real are not huge in absolute terms. Although this is GS and some people apparently can hear the how the transformer was wound, the date the transformer was made and its serial number lol.

And I would agree if you already have one type flight micpre a bigger bang for your buck might be to upgrade your converters.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Although this is GS and some people apparently can hear the how the transformer was wound, the date the transformer was made and its serial number lol.

Classic.
Old 17th May 2015
Gear Head

Whatcha mean ?
Old 16th September 2016
Trying to narrow down a choice for a new transformer based preamp that's not "wire to wire" but adds some color when needed.
We've been using UA 610s. Just read the most convoluted review of the Pacifica in SOS. Can't really find a solid review that gives us an idea of the Pacifica sound. Currently looking at 500 series Heritage Jr, Great River and Pacifica to be used on just male, pop, lead vocals. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Trying to narrow down a choice for a new transformer based preamp that's not "wire to wire" but adds some color when needed.
We've been using UA 610s. Just read the most convoluted review of the Pacifica in SOS. Can't really find a solid review that gives us an idea of the Pacifica sound. Currently looking at 500 series Heritage Jr, Great River and Pacifica to be used on just male, pop, lead vocals. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Honestly, those three that you named are all great and it will just come down to preference on your part.

The Pacifica is quite clean and has a sweet presence that helps a vocal sit in a mix. It only has the single Gain knob (albeit there is a pad button), so I'm not sure how flexible it is in terms of clean vs. color.

The Heritage Jr is an accurate recreation of the classic 1073. Can't go wrong if that's what you're after.

The Great River, which is my personal favorite, is commonly described as a modernized 1073 (for whatever that's worth). To me the GR has a wider range of tones/colors depending on how you dial it in, making it quite versatile on a variety of sources.

Others to look into: Avedis MA5, BAE 1073MPL, Chandler TG2-500. You can make beautiful sounding vocal recordings with any of these.
Old 16th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwj View Post
Honestly, those three that you named are all great and it will just come down to preference on your part.

The Pacifica is quite clean and has a sweet presence that helps a vocal sit in a mix. It only has the single Gain knob (albeit there is a pad button), so I'm not sure how flexible it is in terms of clean vs. color.

The Heritage Jr is an accurate recreation of the classic 1073. Can't go wrong if that's what you're after.

The Great River, which is my personal favorite, is commonly described as a modernized 1073 (for whatever that's worth). To me the GR has a wider range of tones/colors depending on how you dial it in, making it quite versatile on a variety of sources.

Others to look into: Avedis MA5, BAE 1073MPL, Chandler TG2-500. You can make beautiful sounding vocal recordings with any of these.
Thanks so much Andrew!! I think we'll go with the Great River which always gets great reviews. Hopefully, we'll get to hear the Pacifica soon so we can hear what is a bit of mystery at this point. Not having an output knob can be worked around but for now it looks like GR! Thanks again.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search