The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akg C451 EB w/CK1 vs KM84 for Ac Gtr Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Akg C451 EB w/CK1 vs KM84 for Ac Gtr

So I have both and used on similar parts (rhythm) and I love the tone of the 451 over the 84, though the 84 seemed fatter, the 451 came across sweeter. Anyone experienced this?
Old 12th May 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
So I have both and used on similar parts (rhythm) and I love the tone of the 451 over the 84, though the 84 seemed fatter, the 451 came across sweeter. Anyone experienced this?
My experiences with a 451 vs 84 has always been that the 84 was always darker. Both are excellent choices for acoustic guitars. If it works, it works. Your ear likes the 451 better. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of the vintage 451, and have found they seem to change their tonality quite a bit depending on the preamp, more so than a KM84. 1073 and TG2 sound amazing with the 451. Also several vintage USA preamps like Langevin AM-16 and Flickinger, that had lower mic input impedance than now, sound fantastic with the 451.
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Great info Cathedral. The chain was really a Focusrite ISa430 as its fairly transparent but I'll try with some other preamps I have such as 1084/v76/v72 as well as my RCA console which is discreet 1967. Excited!
Old 12th May 2015

I have several vintage 451's.
The biggest issue is the condition of their capsule element diaphragms.
They have a tendency to either seperate or tear around the perimeter.

I have seen 451's with both silver and gold coloured diaphragms.

I doubt if any two vintage 451's sound remotely alike unless they recently had new capsule elements fitted.

I tend to prefer a KM84 for acoustics as it sounds more natural to my ears and will take some high end EQ if required without getting too edgy.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search