The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide transformer hum ? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Changing transformers does not 'improve' sound quality.
The mains incoming can be quite distorted then the rectifiers turn the 'nearly' sinewave power into a series of current spikes so even a perfect transformer will not affect this. In fact, transformers with much lower winding resistance can make the current spikes worse, possibly endangering the rectifiers. It can also increase the dissipation in the regulators too, possibly overheating.
I was too imprecise with my wording. Particularly the improved sound quality is attained by splitting the original transformer to two by introducing separate transformers for the AD and DA paths. This is because the stock transformer is "near the point of saturation" in the original design. That is, it's too small.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Addict

1:you will die
2:someone you love will disappoint you
3:eventide h3000’s will physically vibrate/hum
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Addict

Is it a crazy idea to externalyze the trafo of the H3000 and mount it into its own chassis?
And then run a multi core power lead from that chassis to the H3000?

The separate trafo case would include
- IEC connector;
- fuse holder;
- voltage switch;
- the trafo; either the original trafo, or 2 separates ones (1 for analogue, 1 for digital);
- the Diode array that is mounted to the chassis;
- the multi-core power output socket, to be determined.

From the trafo there's 6 leads that run to the main board.
The other leads are either going to the power switch, fuse holder, or that diode array.

So the multi core snake running between the trafo chassis and the H3000 would contain 6 cables + 1 ground for good measure.
Possible connector brands for the multi include Molex, Neutrik, Harting, Socapex etc.

The reasoning behind this is mainly to keep the hum away from the mixing spot.
Also the unit would run cooler = more reliable.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Not crazy, but just not practicle.....
Keeping the hum away is a matter of just taking the top coverplate off.
The top cover plate resonates because of the induction of the power transformer.
Old 17th December 2018
Put it into the machine room or a closet. 20 feet away is also good in a large room. Put it near or in a rack with any analog gear and the THD will rise significantly in the adjacent analog gear, it is measureable. I've never seen another piece of pro outboard that created that much EMI.
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Put it into the machine room or a closet. 20 feet away is also good in a large room. Put it near or in a rack with any analog gear and the THD will rise significantly in the adjacent analog gear, it is measureable. I've never seen another piece of pro outboard that created that much EMI.
I just read your other post in this regard about EMI. You're so patient, rewriting what you already wrote in the past, thanks a lot!

So I don't have a machine room, and I don't see how I can adjust settings on the machine while it sits 20 feet away from the sweet spot, but I see your point of course.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

This hum situation is a fact of life, I've decided. I got an Eclipse, problem solved, it sounds different, but unlike a few years back, I don't loose sleep over these things anymore.
Machine rooms are meant for noisy "machines" not effects boxes I need to adjust and play while performing in my studio. The exception to the rule was my Lexicon 224, that sounded louder than my Hoover, but it had a remote so problem solved.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear
Hi

I have an original H3000. The hum was extremely loud.

Sendt it to Beamish Electronics. These guyes are the best.

The hum is gone!

Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

It would be very interesting for other GS members to know what the guys from Beamish did with your H3000.
Please share that information with other H3000 owners, so that they also may get lucky, getting rid of extremely loud hum.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
It would be very interesting for other GS members to know what the guys from Beamish did with your H3000.
Please share that information with other H3000 owners, so that they also may get lucky, getting rid of extremely loud hum.
Yes, that would be handy.
But, I've always thought that noisy audio equipment is exactly like being a visual artist with impaired eyesight, like there's always a blur on everything, and it affects what you do, living with that hum was the same thing, and I've never quite squared myself with how the engineers at Eventide in any way thought that it was acceptable...crazy.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger View Post
Yes, that would be handy.
But, I've always thought that noisy audio equipment is exactly like being a visual artist with impaired eyesight, like there's always a blur on everything, and it affects what you do, living with that hum was the same thing, and I've never quite squared myself with how the engineers at Eventide in any way thought that it was acceptable...crazy.
It appears to me that some clarification from MUSICMIXER04 may come in handy for as well WALLYBURGER as myself.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Here’s a post where someone mounted an external transformer.

I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post

That seems like the most logical solution. Easy to do too.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear
Hi

Here are some info:

First they put in a new NOS Eventide replacement transformer which was quieter than the original, but it only helped a bit.

They told me a part of the problem is the ferromagnetic casing panels that tend to resonate with the transformer magnetic field and in effect, become a soundboard which amplifies this resonant action of the steel case.

They did put some time into shock mounting the transformer and adding damping materials to metal surfaces in the proximity of the transformer and that was it!

I must say my H3000 is totally silent. It was worth every penny to send it in. It used to be really loud.

Good luck
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac
Have a tech mount two separate toroidal transformers inside instead of the original. That’s less than $100,- in parts and a couple hours work.
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear

Hi !

I found this audiophonics company - they do make custom made toroidal transformers. And a trafo for the H3000 is only 39.00€

- also do you think the configuration i made is correct for the H3000 (see atached pic)?

Here is the link: Link
Attached Thumbnails
Eventide transformer hum ?-capture.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Maniac
I too had been looking into getting a custom wound transformer and ended up buying off the shelf transformers from audiophonics individually for the digital and analog sections. As far as I can recall there were a couple of things that motivated me to do this:

1. physical size: 90mm diameter was too large iirc, I don't recall the exact dimensions but it would have to be wound smaller in diameter and bigger in height.

2. current requirements: the service manual specifies 5.2 amps @5V regulated, an unknown amount of A at about 7V unregulated and 450mA for each 18V rail of the audio circuit plus another unknown amount of mA drawn from the -18V rail. The supplied stock transformer is known to be under-rated so it seemed necessary to be generous with current specs.

3. two transformers seemed like a good idea as in separating the digital and analog sections to have less cross influence. Also, in case I underspecified and fried one of the two transformers, I could easily replace them with a higher rated one.

The transformers I ended up getting from audiophonics are 3629 (Toroidal Transformer 30VA 2x15V) and 10641 (Toroidal Transformer 80VA 2x7V) for a total of less than €40. These have been working without issues for me now almost 1.5 years with an average of 8h use per day.

If you do get custom transformers done successfully, let us know.
There are many H3000 owners out there that'll be highly interested in having an easy retrofit solution for their units!
Old 5th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post

That won't fix the EMI issues. Distance is your friend.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search