The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Eclipse Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Addict

Antelope Eclipse

This is more of a compatibility/technical question. Less about if its a good sounding converter or not.

Those who own this converter and are using it, or just know a lot about it:

1 - I want to be clear about whether or not this converter is a USB interface converter or no ? I do know it has a USB feature/port, but is that feature/port just for the "GUI" interface to control all the parameters via computer or does this thing actually become the ins and outs of your computer once connected USB only ?

2 - If the above answer is indeed it is a USB interface, then is anyone using this with PT12 as the one and only converter and connected USB only to their computer ? Please let me know how compatible/smooth this pair works.

3 - Also, if indeed the above is the case, isn't recording and playing back at its max (say 384k/24 bit which I aint doing, but just curious) a awful lot of data to stream constantly, efficiently and with low latency via a USB cable ? This seems like this converters weak point, and just curious, as this is what makes me think the unit is not a USB interface in the sense I would want to use it as. I have run into a few converters that can't share a firewire bus with anything cause their data info begins to bottleneck and the sound simply chokes. So downgrade this to USB and we got some serious problems ! lol Especially if boasting 384k !

4 - Does anyone know the latency on this product if used in the above scenario but at 24bit/96k via PT ?

Thanks !
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Hi there.

Yea I use the eclipse in my mastering / editing rig. Great sounding piece and an excellent headphone amp too...

Anyway, to your questions...

Yes it is a fully fledged USB audio interface. However, it will only to two channels in and two channels out.

Also, you will only get 384KHz on a Mac. Don't ask why. It weird, the Orion will only do 32 channels of IO at 192KHz on a Windows and is limited to 96 on a Mac but with the Eclipse it is restricted on the windows platform.

I've never measured latencies but I'm also not sure why this would be a problem? There is so much I/O on this machine that if you were tracking with it you could just route the analogue inputs to the cue mix output for latency free monitoring.

Any other questions please let me know.
Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa View Post
This is more of a compatibility/technical question. Less about if its a good sounding converter or not.

Thanks !
What's up, Joel?! Long time, no talk! (bump)
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
Hi there.

Yea I use the eclipse in my mastering / editing rig. Great sounding piece and an excellent headphone amp too...

Yes it is a fully fledged USB audio interface. However, it will only to two channels in and two channels out.

Also, you will only get 384KHz on a Mac. Don't ask why. It weird, the Orion will only do 32 channels of IO at 192KHz on a Windows and is limited to 96 on a Mac but with the Eclipse it is restricted on the windows platform.

I've never measured latencies but I'm also not sure why this would be a problem? There is so much I/O on this machine that if you were tracking with it you could just route the analogue inputs to the cue mix output for latency free monitoring.

Davey, thanks for the great info. This is good news for me then. I have lots of questions now pertaining to exactly my situation, so I will ask them more precise now.

• Never got a answer as to if you've experienced cut outs, or odd anomaly's due to bandwidth restrictions of the USB cable. Like I said, thats a lot of info to seamless travel through USB. USB unless I did not hear right splits its max capacity between directions at that. And as usual, its actual throughput isn't even close to its advertised max. So I seriously am concerned about this. Now I never do 384k. I will be at 24bit/192k max. But still... that playing back and recording at same time, also using its routing, and a few other features at same time - Isn't this a awful lot of date to pass through a USB bus flawlessly as intended ?

• Actual question for my usage. I know its only a 2 channel in/out, but I want to make sure it does all 4 of them channels simultaneously. So I can hear playback (DA) while recording (AD).

• The alternate source inputs (3 total), can I hear them all at same time ? Or do they make it only 1 at a time ?
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
What's up, Joel?! Long time, no talk! (bump)
Whats up brother ! Definite long time. Very nice to see you still active. If your number is the same, I'll call soon.
Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whats up brother ! Definite long time. Very nice to see you still active. If your number is the same, I'll call soon.
It's the same...the 310 number...do!
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Davey, thanks for the great info. This is good news for me then. I have lots of questions now pertaining to exactly my situation, so I will ask them more precise now.

• Never got a answer as to if you've experienced cut outs, or odd anomaly's due to bandwidth restrictions of the USB cable. Like I said, thats a lot of info to seamless travel through USB. USB unless I did not hear right splits its max capacity between directions at that. And as usual, its actual throughput isn't even close to its advertised max. So I seriously am concerned about this. Now I never do 384k. I will be at 24bit/192k max. But still... that playing back and recording at same time, also using its routing, and a few other features at same time - Isn't this a awful lot of date to pass through a USB bus flawlessly as intended ?

• Actual question for my usage. I know its only a 2 channel in/out, but I want to make sure it does all 4 of them channels simultaneously. So I can hear playback (DA) while recording (AD).

• The alternate source inputs (3 total), can I hear them all at same time ? Or do they make it only 1 at a time ?
I think Pro Tools maxes out at 192khz, so The 384 question isn't relevant.
Even at 192khz, 2 in, 2 out is nothing compared to a reasonably sized 96khz session with 16i/o, which lots of USB interfaces are fine working at, so it won't be a problem.
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Old 12th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Exactly - as dbjp states.

the Eclipse will handle 382 KHz sampling rates with 2 In and 2 Out absolutely fine. I've never used 384 but I have 192. Also consider this - the Antelope Orion delivers 32 channels In and 32 Channels Out simultaneously at 192 KHz over a USB2 protocol - the equivalent of 16 I/O at 384KHz sampling rates. I've never had any cuts or anything related to insufficient bandwidth issues. At first the software seemed a little unstable but since the last update my PC (Windows 8.1) is working very smoothly.

Yes you can use all the USB channels simultaneously. I use the Eclipse to playback un-mastered files through an analogue EQ and comp chain often and then record the output from that back into Pro Tools / SADiE. I had thought originally that because the Eclipse has 2 independent stereo DA circuits that I'd be able to do a mastering loop AND audition from Pro Tools (e.g. using the Eclipse as a 2 in 4 out interface) but instead you can simply route the ADC input to the monitor path as well as the USB input.

As far as I'm aware you can only listen to one input at a time. You get a software control panel from which you select the where and how you want to route the inputs to the outputs.

Hope that helps.
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi there.

And you are sure of this ? it is first time I have heard it, you are aware that the usb drivers from antelope have been updated some this year..

I can however confirm 192khz works on windows platform, not sure of 384 khz since I do not have the 10m.
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Also worth mention in the control panel I can still choose 384 so if it wasnt supported on windows it should not be visible there ?
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
As far as I'm aware you can only listen to one input at a time. You get a software control panel from which you select the where and how you want to route the inputs to the outputs.
Thanks for the answers guys. Very helpful..

About the inputs, can anyone verify this ? Cause I am really hoping you can hear them simultaneously. Do you own the unit ? Can you try it now if so ? Sometimes units that do that require you to hold the first button down while pressing on the second/third to activate them for simultaneous.

Let me know please if you can - I got a purchase waiting on my decision, lol and its slightly riding on this.

Thanks !
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

In case you want to check:
Antelope Eclipse Manual
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
In case you want to check:
Antelope Eclipse Manual
Thanks for the link. Yea I read the manual a few times so far already. It is not clear if you can or can not do this.

To also be more clear, I would not need to record/AD them all simultaneously playing. But it would be nice to. At very least though, it would be cool to be able to route them all to the monitors for simultaneous playing/hearing.

I will try to wake up early tomorrow and get ahold of Antelope (they close real early), I been calling everyday with no luck cause of my schedule.
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Ok.

so categorically NO. You can't monitor more than one input at any one time. On the routing tab, the monitoring section gives you a drop down from which you can choose ONE source to listen two (list is: Analogue 1, Analogue 2, Analogue 3, AES 1, AES 2, AES 3, SPDIF 1, SPDIF 2, Tos 1, Tos 2, A/D, USB). You can choose one of those to monitor. The headphones / cue tab, allows you to EITHER follow the monitor source OR listen to a separate source - you can also blend into the headphones the integrated talkback channel.

Again, with the USB channel - you can only choose 1 source to record into your DAW.

I believe they are closing early because they are located in Eastern Europe. If you are in US (particularly West coast) they will most likely be asleep when you get up.
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok.

so categorically NO. You can't monitor more than one input at any one time. On the routing tab, the monitoring section gives you a drop down from which you can choose ONE source to listen two (list is: Analogue 1, Analogue 2, Analogue 3, AES 1, AES 2, AES 3, SPDIF 1, SPDIF 2, Tos 1, Tos 2, A/D, USB). You can choose one of those to monitor. The headphones / cue tab, allows you to EITHER follow the monitor source OR listen to a separate source - you can also blend into the headphones the integrated talkback channel.

Again, with the USB channel - you can only choose 1 source to record into your DAW.

I believe they are closing early because they are located in Eastern Europe. If you are in US (particularly West coast) they will most likely be asleep when you get up.
As usual Davey, thanks so much for your time and info. Ok, well at least I got the answer I needed. Kinda sucks you can't do that (as its a real easy thing to have built into it) - BUT the good news is this. I just want to use it for listening to me and my buddy jam sometimes together. (Keyboards and Drum Machine live), so quality is of no concern. Also sometimes I like to play a CD while I play the keyboard piano along with it so I can figure out a songs notes, progressions, etc... And we do not need headphones for this.

So if I am properly understanding what your saying, here is what I could do. Route one source to the monitor as usual, and route the other to the headphone, then is it possible to route the headphones to the monitor per chance ? If so, I should be able to hear us both and have a volume knob to control the overall sound. I will use each sources independent volume controls to control the mix of the two. Or if I can route the headphone anywhere else I can hear it somehow ? Maybe buy a splitter (for temporary jamming use only), and just take the headphone signal (of the other source) and route a TRS to L/R cable back into a mult of the other source ? Get what I'm saying ?

Hopefully this will work. If not, looks like I will pick up a Mackie Big Knob. (I was just hoping this thing replaced the need of a source selector - again, as most source selectors allow you to hear all sources simultaneously if desired).

As far as recording, I totally don't mind only being able to record 1 two channel source, thats fine.

Oh yes my friend, I am on West Coast time, and at that a serious night owl. Get to sleep around 4-6am regularly. Aint up till 10am-12noon Pacific Time. lol
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Yea I read the manual a few times so far already. It is not clear if you can or can not do this.

To also be more clear, I would not need to record/AD them all simultaneously playing. But it would be nice to. At very least though, it would be cool to be able to route them all to the monitors for simultaneous playing/hearing.

I will try to wake up early tomorrow and get ahold of Antelope (they close real early), I been calling everyday with no luck cause of my schedule.
what ever you do do not use the chat support...
not sure why..but the chat support is not professional, feels like an call center from india or something..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search