The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tube 87 vs. U87 AI soundfiles
Old 30th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carival View Post
Hmmmm. No other way to listen to a sound? I suppose I understand your point, but I've been listening to "raw" recorded sounds most every day for almost 25 years and very little of it has been anywhere near a computer, until this past year.

I meant "computer" in rather broader term - simply anything that enables you to listen to the recorded sound through some box (= speaker) - whether it is a computer, CD player, tape machine or whatever, it does not matter at all. But those boxes (or headphones) are the ONLY way how you can finally listen to the recorded sound, whether you have the microphone in your hand or not.

So if someone records something and gives the soundfile to someone else, the other person hears exactly the same thing (within the sound systems differences, of course).

Absolutely for sure - there is nothing like trying a microphone (preamp etc.) personally. But if it is not possible, listening to someone´s else soundfiles is still 10 times better and more illustrative than reading about it and 100 times better than nothing.

Not everywhere it is that easy to try various gear and microphones. Being able at least to listen how someone else recorded through that gear is quite valuable in such case and can give you some picture (however limited it is).
Old 31st December 2006
Gear Maniac

I liked the modded sound better - highs opened up nicely, and some of the lower-mid mud is gone. I agree with kats: the stock U87 definately does not sound more open
Old 8th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Cant access the files...
Old 9th July 2007
Gear Maniac

ummmm yes Im aware of that...
aswell as Im aware of the fact that there are much older attachments on this forum that can still be accessed.
I mean, Kats here already went through the trouble of posting once. Some considered the test irrelevant, but some others dropped jaws.
Why not give the chance to later generations of users that are interested in the subject to decide? Old threads become these amazing achives of data that last as long as there are people interested in them. Lets keep this one alive!!!

Peace
Old 10th July 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry about that... I had switched domain names and the files went *poof*. Besides, since then I have come to the conclusion that posting a/b sound files on the net is not a good idea.
Old 10th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
Gearslutzies.........

I don't recall that Neumann ever made a "Tube U-87". I have been buying Neumann microphones since 1953....

If the "Tube U-87' you are refering to is merely a moded up U-87. Wow, are you asking for trouble!!!

Bruce Swedien
With all do respect Bruce, What trouble are you speaking of? Wasn't modding gear part of daily studio life during your era?
Old 10th July 2007
Lives for gear

What's the mystery? You can "F" anything up by modifying it. In this case, you don't.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

i've been looking into this mod for sometime, and have heard nothing but great things....

and i also think the computer is no place to judge a microphone.

but anyway..... i think i might have to give this mod a try....

does it bring the mic close to a U67 sound?????? or is that a completely different thing??????

i have never had the opportunity to try one.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
does it bring the mic close to a U67 sound?????? or is that a completely different thing??????
I have several U87s here and one of them has an InnerTube kit installed. It is, quite frankly, a different sound all up, and you could be forgiven for thinking it was a different make entirely. It's certainly not a subtle thing - and on sources it suits, it works very well.

So no, I don't think it's much like a U67 either, though it is certainly very useable. The U67 has mid mojo and girth in the lower reaches, whereas the InnerTube '87 has an even sheen throughout and a light and open high end. I don't think you'd mistake it for a '67, though you may like it just as much.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for that info DSM, its not typically that you get a response so direct on GS!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear
this is a good post glad it popped up again.
the ai is so weird. This is a great mod
Old 13th April 2015
Lives for gear

please i know its nearly a decade but does anyone still have these files?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search