The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anyone else's Chandler Curve Bender distort when tracking guitars? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Head

Does anyone else's Chandler Curve Bender distort when tracking guitars?

So my Curve Bender is fantastic for running mixes through, mastering, and tracking drum overheads but whenever I try to track guitars with it, it distorts the signal very easily. Changing preamp or microphone does not seem to stop the clipping. I tried it today on vocals and same distorting but just on louder peaks. On electric guitar is was more constant.

It seems odd because I hear no distortion when used on drum overheads or entire mixes. Anyone else experience this?
Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Al View Post
So my Curve Bender is fantastic for running mixes through, mastering, and tracking drum overheads but whenever I try to track guitars with it, it distorts the signal very easily. Changing preamp or microphone does not seem to stop the clipping. I tried it today on vocals and same distorting but just on louder peaks. On electric guitar is was more constant.

It seems odd because I hear no distortion when used on drum overheads or entire mixes. Anyone else experience this?
Drop me a mail and lets go over the details. Its not a problem Ive seen or experienced.
[email protected]
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Addict

No one better on the planet to get this sorted than the man himself...
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Head

Wade, thanks for the reply...you are the MAN! I just sent you an email.

For those interested:
I did some testing with guitar and realized something important...The Curve Bender on it's own is not distorting, it's only when it has a compressor in the chain AFTER it. I did some tests where the signal path was: mic>TG-2>Curve Bender>TG-1 and what happens is when the eq is switched out, there is no distortion, but with the eq switched in, even with the individual eq's set to "off", there is distortion. Then if I have the eq IN, but the compressor OUT, the signal will not distort. In other words, having a compressor in the chain AFTER the Curve Bender will cause distortion with BOTH units ON but if one or the other is switched to BYPASS, the signal does not distort. It did this with my TG-1, LTD-2, and Purple MC77. If I put the CB as last in the chain, all is good, but I do sometimes like to eq before the compressor.

I will update once this is figured out, just to document it in case anyone else has this issue in the future.
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Head

Here's the response from Wade Goeke:
Whats happening is the TG1 is loading the Curvebender. The medium power amp of the Bender does not like to drive the 300 ohm impedance on the TG1. My Neve broadcast does the same thing to it. It has a low impedance on the buss inserts and distorts it unless I put something in between. So basically you want to have a high impedance compressor after the Bender or reverse the order.

So there you have it.

Thank you Wade!!!
Old 12th May 2015
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Al View Post
Here's the response from Wade Goeke:
Whats happening is the TG1 is loading the Curvebender. The medium power amp of the Bender does not like to drive the 300 ohm impedance on the TG1. My Neve broadcast does the same thing to it. It has a low impedance on the buss inserts and distorts it unless I put something in between. So basically you want to have a high impedance compressor after the Bender or reverse the order.

So there you have it.

Thank you Wade!!!
Just in case youre in love with the TG1 after the Curve Bender.

You could also use something as a go-between to get around the impedance mismatch- other piece of gear on bypass (unless its a hardwired bypass) or a line driver or whatever strikes your fancy.

Gustav
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search