The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sun Rai - 500 Miles (Live at Studio Delux) Dynamic Microphones
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear
Sun Rai - 500 Miles (Live at Studio Delux)

1. Is the vocal performance real? Can you really move around that much on an SM7b and have it sound so constant? That is an SM7b, right?

2. What is that large side address grey microphone like 4 feet off the floor, above the snare? There's a second aimed across the kit near the floor tom, took me a minute to spot it. This is the Glyn Johns method, yes?

3. What is that presumably omni mic pointed upward, to the drummer's right, maybe 6 ft up?

4. Just for fun, anyone recognize the kick mic?

5. What is going on with this recording that I'm missing? It all sounds really good, very clean and dry.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear
Looks like maybe a coles 4040 or 4050 (hard to see) and a avantone cv-12 on the kick. I don't know that sort of drum setup but I think the vocal could be real, that sounds like a 7 to me...I think the key to this would be a drummer who can play nice and quiet.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Nut

That's Will Kennedy in the back, a friend of Josh Florian from JCF Audio. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those are custom mics built by Josh for Will.

From the sound, you're probably listening to JCF conversion. The Latte's input from the console 2-buss? (Have an AD-8 myself, not a Latte, so I can't be 100% sure.)

Also Sun Rai is a solid performer. And the SM7 is a deceptive mic in that it can sound very hi-fi with the right voice.

Drum setups like the one in the video are some of my favorite drum sounds. If you look at it, it seems to make little sense. But then you listen and it's tough to go back to X/Y or a traditional spaced pair after that.

Last edited by Dubbin; 9th May 2015 at 06:41 AM..
Old 8th May 2015
A lot of incredible and excellence talent... !
In front and behind the console.

R.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

I love all of the videos from those sessions. Seriously great playing. So much feel and great sounds.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Guru

That is absolutely the vocal performance we are watching and listening to. You can hear proximity effect and the tonal variances as he moves around. The guy is great and his talent and vibe come through.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Guru

duplicate post

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search