The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 8040b vs Neumann KH120a Studio Monitors
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Genelec 8040b vs Neumann KH120a

I'm just going to listen to music on them,not mix or anything.
Does anyone has any experience with music playback on them?
Thanks!
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foomki100 View Post
I'm just going to listen to music on them,not mix or anything.
Does anyone has any experience with music playback on them?
Thanks!
I would go for the 8040 if your just listening. They sound bigger and more impressive.
The kh120 sounds a bit boring/dull in comparison, but for mixing they are superior. They are more accurate.
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

I would go with Genelecs for both, listening and mixing. People saying KH120 are more accurate haven't used Genelecs in proper space or proper set-up.
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Nut

I've got a pair of KH's and they are great. Had them for about 2 years. Love them for listening to music and mixing on.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Nut

I have the 8040’s about one year and a half, despite their curved design (minimum diffraction enclosure) bear in mind that these speakers are very demanding for extensive room treatment! Unlike other speakers or the previous Genelec series (1000), their exaggerated bass response will easily mask/blur you frequency response (bass and mids) if your room is not well treated.

They have many switches on their rear side to compensate the room response but I’ve never been satisfied with the results. For example, you can tweak the bass tilt switch -2db or bass roll-off -2db and some great mastering tracks will sound good on -2db tilt while other will sound good with -2db roll-off switch. I find it’s very hard to decide which switch position is the more accurate (compensate with tilt or roll-off), my productions sound a bit weak on with bass tilt -2db while with bass roll-off -2db it sound a bit bass heavy which leaves me with a big question mark which switch should I use-which thesis is the more accurate?

I HIGHLY recommend to test these speakers IN YOUR ROOM (if you can) before you buy them. Also note that even if you have a good treated room you’ll still need to use/compensate at least one switch on their back… having all switches set to flat are only valid in an anechoic chamber or in an EXTREMELY well treated room like top-notch pro studios.

Overall, I find the 8000 series extremely overestimated for their price/performance. Genelec’s are very hyped and most novice users tend to buy them because of their looks-design and not because of their sonics.
Testing the speakers in your room is actually the only way to tell if they are adequate for you or not.

Last edited by 11bit; 9th May 2015 at 11:50 AM..
Old 9th May 2015

Although not the 8040's I auditioned the 8030B's and KH120's six months ago.
Even the 8030's sounded a bit more hi-fi and slightly scooped compared to the KH120's.
However I chose the KH120's as they are very flat and and unhyped.
Glad I did as the mixes using the KH120's are translating much better than my previous Event ASP-8's were.
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear

I own 8040s for about 8 years and in my dayjob I am an audio post supervisor in a company with several studios, all of them with KH120-based 5.1 or 7.1 setups.

I'd prefer the 8040s for music listening.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Head
Never heard KH120 but I own 2 pairs of 8040a.
Bad mix sounds awful, god mix sounds right. There are no mistakes or speculations, it's just like that. I don't feel them coloured at all.
Properly positioned in well treated room, they are great mixing (even "fast mastering") tool.
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meex View Post
Never heard KH120 but I own 2 pairs of 8040a.
Bad mix sounds awful, god mix sounds right. There are no mistakes or speculations, it's just like that. I don't feel them coloured at all.
Properly positioned in well treated room, they are great mixing (even "fast mastering") tool.
What about transient response? Do you hear transients on 8040’s? Are you satisfied?

Before upgrading to 8040’s I was working with Genelec 1030’s for over 10 years and there is a huge difference between the two models. Transients on 1030’s were extremely audible (revealing) allowing you to hear/do micro tune adjustments easily. 8040’s have a very rounded/bulky/hi-fi sound, I find micro tuning on 8040’s very difficult and I always have the feeling that I'm compromising when micro tuning with them.

Also, 1030’s were super tight in the bass region something that I certainly missing with 8040’s.
Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bit View Post
What about transient response? Do you hear transients on 8040’s? Are you satisfied?

Before upgrading to 8040’s I was working with Genelec 1030’s for over 10 years and there is a huge difference between the two models. Transients on 1030’s were extremely audible (revealing) allowing you to hear/do micro tune adjustments easily. 8040’s have a very rounded/bulky/hi-fi sound, I find micro tuning on 8040’s very difficult and I always have the feeling that I'm compromising when micro tuning with them.

Also, 1030’s were super tight in the bass region something that I certainly missing with 8040’s.
It must be something hazy going on in your room or you haven't paid enough attention to the speaker placement and setup.

I have been working with 8040 at a colleaguess studio this weekend (I have 8260 and 8351 myself), and they sounded the way they should. They representet audio without any hype. Transient response was superb, low end was tight.
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
It must be something hazy going on in your room or you haven't paid enough attention to the speaker placement and setup.
Really? Then why the 1030's were really singing in the same room/same treatment while 8040's sound flabby?

Quote:
I have been working with at a colleaguess studio this weekend (I have 8260 and 8351 myself), and they sounded the way they should. They representet audio without any hype.
Well this is a surprise! Coming from the 1030 school I find the low end on 8040’s very flabby while transient response a compromise, really strange how different we perceive the same speakers.

Quote:
Transient response was superb, low end was tight.
Since you already own the 8351 would you say they share the same sound signature of 8000 series or there are in a different league?

Last edited by 11bit; 11th May 2015 at 08:28 PM..
Old 12th May 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bit View Post
I found them very fast, (maybe it will sound strange, but even faster than much more priced Focal SM9). Some distortions on kick drum is first noticed on 8040s.
Maybe room acoustic causes that behave but a couple of us got the same conclusion about how fast Genelecs are..
Honestly, I'm really surprised how much negative hype you can read about Genelecs, but at the end maybe It's all personal...
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Actually after having a dozen of hi end monitors: ATC, Klein Hummel, Neumann, Event, Focal I finally settled at Genelecs. They are imho a much better monitor and the only where I could apply:"What I hear is what I get."

They are detailed but not hyped. They have superb low end and transient response and sound relaxed and natural. The only speaker that doesn't start my ears after 8 hours of work. Accuracy and sound space is heads and shoulders above others.

After successfully working with 1031 in the past, I got carried away by gearslutz marketing, where some brands always receive praises while other never (Genelecs). I must admit I was a victim of this hype. I sold my loved 1031 and went through period of changes with the brands mentioned above. This year after auditioning and working with 8260 which sounded so much truer from all the rest, I decided to finally listen with my own ears and stop reading hype here. This was the best decision I have ever made. After that I also bought 8351 and I am set with monitoring for a lifetime in my studio.

Some brands invest in marketing while other brands invest in R&D.

To return to the performance of 8040. It is superb. If they don't sound fast and clear than something is wrong with your setup. They are much more accurate speakers than 1030 (which are great as well), they are more revealing, have better low end, are cleaner and more balanced. In an acoustically great room they beat the competition pretty badly, but some other speakers might perform better in a compromised space. These are professional tools that are meant to be used in professional rooms. Therefore in a lesser room you might find that acoustic controls don't provide enough range, to compensate for the imperfections of a bad setup or strong bass buildups of poorly designed rooms.

I suggest you to try DSP series...let's say 8240. They will integrate into your space better than any speaker and DSP will be able to compensate even enormous bass buildups. In acoustically otimized space DSP brings the speaker from superb to basically perfect. After that you can also adjust the response to suit your taste (flatt or with a slight downfall towards HF).
Old 12th May 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meex View Post
I'm really surprised how much negative hype you can read about Genelecs...
I'm not - Genelecs have a "colour" that you either love or hate.

I call them "Marmite" monitors - you either love them or hate them and there seems to be no middle ground.

So, if you love them - great. If you don't - that's also great, just get something else.
Old 12th May 2015
Gear Head
I own both the Neumann KH120 and Genelec 8040. I think the Neumann's are better overall, though the Genelecs provide a bit more detailed mids.
Old 12th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bee View Post
I own both the Neumann KH120 and Genelec 8040. I think the Neumann's are better overall, though the Genelecs provide a bit more detailed mids.
One thought...

Whatever you mix on the Neumann 120s, sounds better on just about everything else. Sort of like NS10Ms without the ear fatigue and with better bass response (and no 150hz dip like the Yammies)...

The Genelecs sound prettier though.
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bee View Post
I've been using 8040 since the 8000 series was released. I think it's great for listening music, especially if you play it loud and still feel joyful with the high.

Jay, do you feel it's good to own both of them for mixing? I'm thinking to add the kh120 to hear something I miss with 8040.
Old 13th May 2015
Quote:
I would go with Genelecs for both, listening and mixing. People saying KH120 are more accurate haven't used Genelecs in proper space or proper set-up.
Nor have they measured the output signal from them. People shouldn't trust their ears when saying some monitors are accurate and some aren't. Only trust scientific measurements. The problem is that you don't know how the CD you're listening to should actually sound, so the judgement you give is subjective without scientific methods.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search