The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitoring my ADC on a TOFT ATB 24 Audio Interfaces
Old 6th May 2015
Here for the gear

Monitoring my ADC on a TOFT ATB 24

Hi All, im struggling to get my head round a connectivity scenario and need some help!
So, I use a TOFT ATB, and 24 channels of Lynx Aurora via AES16E Cards (24 analogue outs to the desk, and AES/EBU cable back into the Lynx's spare 8 digital inputs.)

So, im trying to hook up a unit to use as an ADC back from the TOFT to the computer, and I want to monitor the sound of the ADC. Currently I will use a TC Electronic finalizer and its AES output to do the stereo mix ADC, (if I make this work I was going to upgrade to Crane song HEDD, but will refer to the TC Unit as 'ADC' from now on).

So as a quixck fix i have the ADC as the last unit on my master bus inserts, and i take the AES output back to the Lynx. This works, but it bypasses the final master chain in the TOFT, rendering the master fader useless. I want to work out how to keep the master channel on the desk in full use, but still monitor the 'sound' of the ADC whilst running off a full 24 track mix?

My idea was to have the main master outputs of the desk, sent to the ADC inputs, and the ADC outputs back to the 2 track return on the desk. Then simply press '2 track return' button when finishing a mix; to check the 'Sound' of the converter. BUT.... The 2 track return on the TOFT is a single unbalanced Stereo JACK. So would this render the ADC pointless as I would be monitoring a balanced output from the ADC, via an unbalanced stereo jack return socket?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Is my first solution correct, OR is there a way to not bypass the remaining master channel on the desk, yet still monitor what my ADC sounds like as its printing a mix??
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Head

Hmmm, this is exactly what 2-track returns are for, we do the same thing here but our is balanced XLR. The only thing to do it is probably a decent monitor controller. Just have the master desk output and the ADC output as 2 sources on the controller. Make sense?
P
Old 6th May 2015
You can only monitor it after it hits the convertor if you have another DA stage to get it back to the analog domain (thus adding another stage of conversion). I go aes to a crane song avocet for that purpose. In your scenario, if the unbalanced run is short, it shouldnt have a significant adverse effect. It's more likely that the TOFT circuitry itself will be more significant in adding colouration (certainly I found my API was).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search