The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio M3 Monitors- what do you think? Studio Monitors
Old 4th May 2015
Lives for gear

Dynaudio M3 Monitors- what do you think?

Hi all- I'm looking for feedback from engineers who have worked in rooms with Dynaudio M3's or studio owners who have them in their room.

Marco- if you're reading, I think you put M4's in your room. Not sure how they differ but wondering how you like them.

We are considering them as our big monitor offering- meaning, really for loud playback when needed (tracking in the control room or artist playback when they want it LOUD) not for a mix monitor so much. But we would like it to sound good- and I'm wondering how reliable they've been.

They now offer the M3's as either a single amp or dual amp- and we are looking at the single amplified model for starters due to cost.

If you have gone thru this process of purchasing large monitors, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Dyn's or any other choice as well.

Thanks in advance-
Old 5th May 2015
Gear Addict

My current setup is M2, my previous was M3, both with SSL 4k’s .. this here’s my take:

The M3’s were in a great large 90’s control room that really sounded good, very even in the frequency department.
We ran them bi-amp with two BSS crossovers/K2 amps, they sounded tight and punchy, with solid bass and sweet top end.

Witnessed the same M3 speakers/amps in their next destination where they faired less well, now soffit mounted so they looked good (more than sound) the room was too small, when cranked, the bass was baggy, and the sound stage very confusing.. and deafening.

The studio down the road at that time, had M4’s in a Munro designed SSL room, were totally mind blowing! didn’t clock what amps/crossovers.

My M2’s are in a small control room with a 32ch SSL 4k, and because of it’s size, it dictates the speaker placement.. and the heavily trapped room has a few bumps (due to the dimensions) and they get used sparingly.

So I’d be convinced the space is 90% important for them to work well… guess that’s why Ns10’s are the winners :-)
Old 5th May 2015
Gear Head

A friend of mine worked on M3's for years. His mixes where amazing but he always mixed the final mix on a pair of headphones because the m3's sounded so bad.

I've worked in his room a number of times and all mixes came out muddy, and un transparent. I don't know how they sound in a perfect acoustic room, but they are terrible in a non perfect acoustic environment.

If you have the choice: Search for PCM IB2sa or something like that
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies. I've heard good things about the M4's but I don't see them offered anymore. I've also never heard or seen the M2's you refer to.

I'm going to look at the Dynaudio site again- but I'm thinking they may have changed models or discontinued some.

thanks all-
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Addict

Yeah, it looks like the shaved the M range down, just keeping the M3.

The original range was M1, M1.5, M2, M3 and M4

Here's the M2's in my space, it's a 70 litre cabinet, that's flat from 45hz to 20khz Their quite deep, so would consider that factor too.

Old 7th May 2015
Here for the gear

Hi there.

I've been using a custom higher power handling active bi-amped version of the M3's (unofficially M3.5, never went into production) since 1995, through 2 largish Munro rooms here in Mumbai. They are fabulous speakers. HOWEVER, they are not great sounding in the passive (internal crossover, single stereo amp) form. The difference is chalk and cheese. Well, maybe not quite, but you get my drift... Also, the M1.5 came much later to the M series party. The misnomer in this range is actually the M2, since they use different tweeters (Not the Esotar) and sound nothing like the rest of the M Range, the top end is harsh and not sweet. Mostly speaking, today, M3's will probably be a custom order from Dynaudio Acoustics. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Dynaudio M3 Monitors- what do you think?-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

We use a passive set of M3 with a bryston LR crossover and a pair of 4B SST. They sound unbelievable. Previously I had only heard the Dynaudio nearfields, which I never thought much of. However with the M3's soffit mounted we have what is certainly one of the flattest rooms in the city. Even our mastering engineer loves working on them.

In short I'm a big fan.

If you live anywhere near any of Wes Lachot's rooms you can probably go check them out, he uses them all the time.
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactica View Post
Hi there.

I've been using a custom higher power handling active bi-amped version of the M3's (unofficially M3.5, never went into production) since 1995, through 2 largish Munro rooms here in Mumbai. They are fabulous speakers. HOWEVER, they are not great sounding in the passive (internal crossover, single stereo amp) form. The difference is chalk and cheese. Well, maybe not quite, but you get my drift... Also, the M1.5 came much later to the M series party. The misnomer in this range is actually the M2, since they use different tweeters (Not the Esotar) and sound nothing like the rest of the M Range, the top end is harsh and not sweet. Mostly speaking, today, M3's will probably be a custom order from Dynaudio Acoustics. Hope this helps.
According to the Dynaudio website, M2 uses Esotar tweeters. So are they so bad? I currently have a NS-1000 and a BM12A, but a good opportunity arised on the M2s.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search