The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Preamp for Recording Drums?
Old 4th May 2015
Here for the gear

New Preamp for Recording Drums?

Hi Gearslutz,

I'm looking to finish off my collection of preamps for drum recording. So far, the set up is as follows:

1. Neve 1084's for overheads
2. 2 API 512c's for snare and rack tom
3. I've been borrowing 2 Great River 2NV's (2 channel) from a friend for everything else.

It's time to get more pre's to supplement the Neves and API's. I don't want to pay for 2 more Neves, and I've got all the API's I want. I'm looking for a final flavor to finish her up.

I've narrowed it down to the following three options:
1. Avedis MA5
2. AMS Neve 1073LB
4. Great River 2NV

Does anyone out there have experience with these units and/or have you had the chance to compare? Any findings?

Thanks for reading!
Old 4th May 2015
Lives for gear

They all rock and have a similar vibe - just get whatever you can get the best deal on!

If you want something different, a pair of Chandler TG mic pres would compliment your other pres nicely.
Old 4th May 2015
Lives for gear

MA5 is excellent on kick drum.

Not on the list but maybe also consider a cleaner preamp for OH and room mics.
Old 4th May 2015
Gear Guru

Get some Capi vp28's and Heiders.
You won't regret it.
Old 4th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
MA5 is excellent on kick drum.

Not on the list but maybe also consider a cleaner preamp for OH and room mics.
Thanks for the tip about the MA5 on kick. Would you suggest the Great River as a cleaner choice on the rooms and overheads?

Not sure if you have any experience with Great River or not, but if you have, how do you feel about it on kick?
Old 4th May 2015
Lives for gear

Great River is fantastic on OH in my experience.
Good on kick / snare too, good on everything really, but excels on OH for me.
Nice and wide / lush / deep / blah blah blah...

I use A Designs EM on kick and snare, cause well that's all the swanky preamps i own, alongside the GR.
But I love the results, it all rocks together.
EM blue pair on kick in and out, EM silver pair on snare top and bottom, Great River 2NV on overheads. Slammin!

Small preamp collection but serves me well...

BTW I used an MA5 pair on kick and snare for a record and loved the results!
Ain't nothin wrong with MA5, they are killer!
Old 4th May 2015
Gear Guru

My 1084's live on kick and snare.
The eq is indispensable .
Old 4th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Donahoo View Post
Thanks for the tip about the MA5 on kick. Would you suggest the Great River as a cleaner choice on the rooms and overheads?

Not sure if you have any experience with Great River or not, but if you have, how do you feel about it on kick?
Never tried it on kick but can say that the great river is cleaner than the MA5. So you could use the 1084 on kick for the thickness and then great river on OH if you want more of that flavor.

But since you already have neve and API perhaps also consider hardy, forssell, etc.
Old 4th May 2015
Gear Nut
You said you didn't want anymore Neve'sand wanted a different final flavor to finish it up. Then why narrow your choice to only Neve style pre's? I'd sell the 1084's (these are mostly wanted for the EQ, but have the 1073 preamp section as well) and the 512C's. Then I'd pick up 8 CAPI VP28's, 4 Heider FD312's and 4 Vintech 573's to replace your Neve flavor.

You could do this and have money left over for an API 2500 for your drum buss and still have extra money.
Old 4th May 2015
Here for the gear

How do the CAPI V28'S and Heider FD312's compare to the API 512's, besides having an output fader trim?
Old 4th May 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
How do the CAPI V28'S and Heider FD312's compare to the API 512's, besides having an output fader trim?
Bigger, beefier, smoother.
Old 5th May 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Bigger, beefier, smoother.
And at a fraction of the cost..
Old 4th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Chandler TG 2-500 is an amazing pre and has that Dark Side of the Moon sound to it...
Old 4th June 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosguardia View Post
Chandler TG 2-500 is an amazing pre and has that Dark Side of the Moon sound to it...
I've recorded with them quite a bit but don't hear DSOTM.
I hear a good mic amp though.
You realize that record has a lot of other reasons it sounds the way it does right?
I record through vintage Helios pre amps every day, they sound great but don't hear "The Led Zepplin IV" sound though.
Old 4th June 2015
Gear Maniac

I realize you've narrowed it down to the three . Have you ever tried the a designs Pacifica awesome on drums

All your other choices are also cool for sure
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear

You can take a look at the Daking IV pre's.there great
on drums, and there great on anything.
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Gearslutz,

I've narrowed it down to the following three options:
1. Avedis MA5
2. AMS Neve 1073LB
4. Great River 2NV

Does anyone out there have experience with these units and/or have you had the chance to compare? Any findings?

Thanks for reading!
I'd vouch for the Avedis MA5.. imho sounds fantastic, plus for what you pay you get an incredible value, only high quality components used.. the very best, handmade by Avedis himself. This will never happen with another company. Yes, NEVER.

<<<<< fwiw I wrote a review abkut the MA5, below my avatar you'll find the link.

I don't know if this has been solved but the ams modules had several issues (reported by users over here as well), plus it's expensive for what is it IMHO.

The GR is a fine unit, not really "neveish" ime, but sounds good..

So in the end I'd suggest you to ask a dealer and test the units in your place and keep what YOUR ears/taste/production goals need/prefer.
I could go on and on on the sound of unit X, but if it's not what you're looking for there's no reason to get it, right? Even if few people like it a lot.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search