The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Brauner Phantom C vrs Microtech M930
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeetch
Anyone know the serial number range of the Phantom C's that had the goofed up resistor?
There was 8-10 mics that landed in the USA that had a "goofed up resistor", all fixed long ago (1 1/2 to 2 years ago?).

The revoicing, which happened earlier this year (2004), nailed it. Every demo since has been a home run. I am waiting from the factory to get that SN demarkation of previous vs. revoiced mics. I will post when I have it! Safe to say that everything we have sold since this spring has been "revoiced" ones. The Phantom V's we just started to get are ALL of the revoiced variety. There's probably zero of the revoiced variety available used in the US.

Brad
Old 6th December 2004
Gear Nut

I might be a little late on this thread but to the person who originally posted GET THE BRAUNER PHANTOM C.

I haven't tried the Gefell but I love my Brauner. I think it kills a U87 which I have but don't use anymore. I feel the Brauner has to be one of the best mics I have used because it maintains its signal quality so well. In this digital world I feel this is very important.

No EQ'ing or messing around just put the mic in front of any singer and the results are great. I love this mic on male vocals.

My favorite feature is the built on shockmount, nice and easy.
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NIGHT'SCHILD
to the person who originally posted GET THE BRAUNER PHANTOM C.... I haven't tried the Gefell...
Huh?
I am in agreement with you that the Brauner is an excellent mic but I don't see how you can compose a post containing the above when the thread title is specifically 'Phantom C vs M930'!
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NIGHT'SCHILD
<SNIP> My favorite feature is the built on shockmount, nice and easy.
With all the talk about other company's shock mounts, I'm surprised that more people don't rave about Brauner's. The Phantom C has the same shock mount as the 3K Valvet-his shock mounts are amazing.......

NIGHT'SCHILD thanks for noticing!
Brad
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

I've compared both mics. They are both excellent, either might have an advantage depending on your source. In general I was using on female vox and acoustic guitar. I also recorded just a little of some male vocals.

For these applications the Phantom C is a really powerful sound, extremely clean and clear. It seemed to prefer higher impedance instead of low -- I ran into Vintech X73i and 1.2k ohm was much better than 300 ohm. Into the A Designs it was similar, better at 10k than 600. One of the few mics I've been able to just put directly in front of the soundhole and capture a nice clear tone. On vocals it never ran out of power. Can start to get a tiny bit edgy/nasal if not worked properly, and if the gain's not right. I felt vocalists singing close (6-10") was better than 12-18". A very three-dimensional sound, the clarity really makes it stand out of the speakers. But not colored, very musical.

The M930 is outstanding as well, and considerably less expensive than the Brauner. It is tiny, easy to manipulate. As with the Phantom, I felt the Gefell was very strong, never overloaded or got harsh. Very surprising to hear a loud part coming and start to wince, yet then hear the M930 just sail right through it, very smooth. The low end is not as strong as the Phantom. On the female vocalist I wanted more low-mids than the Gefell would give. It doesn't have quite the "character" either, just a little smoother sounding, almost a little flat. Not in a bad way, though, a somewhat drier sound can be easy to mix this way.

For this particular girl singer I felt the Phantom C was a little better. Preamp choice was X73i, 1.2k ohm. On acoustic guitar I could go with either mic, but probably preferred the Brauner for the deeper bass. A Designs MP-2, 10k ohm. I've heard recordings of the M930 on guitar and overhead that sounded great as well. I think for acoustic guitar I'd want a pair of mics, then I'd likely choose the Gefell, for drier room sound, cost, flexibility, and typically-less boom in ORTF.

Which did I pick? Neither one, surprising to me. I've had great success with ADK A-48 on this singer, and it again easily beat these other two. It also beat ifet7, U195, E47, E49. Whatever works. It doesn't work on every source this well, I don't particularly care for it on guitar or some male voices.

I'm planning to buy one or both or a pair of each, one of these days, the Phantom C and M930 are both too good to not have.

BTW Brad, that Brauner shockmount is certainly nicer than the U195's, but... it's not perfect, the rubber bands had rubbed the surface finish off the mic body at the contact points. And I had a little trouble with the cam-lock, it can get rotated and interfere with the mount when you flip it up/down. Minor points I guess...

Steve
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

I have one of the non revoiced Brauner Phantom C's and it is one of the best mics I have ever used. I think that I would prefer it to the Gefell most times, but it's would be nice to have both

I was recording a very good female vocalist this past Friday and I had done an album with her about eight months ago. On the previous record I used the Phantom C and when we started recording again I tried a different mic, the THE KR-25A. She noticed it immediately as having something missing. I put the Brauner back up and she was like "There's that sound again" and off we went. You really can't go wrong with a Brauner.
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by squeegybug
<SNIP>
BTW Brad, that Brauner shockmount is certainly nicer than the U195's, but... it's not perfect, the rubber bands had rubbed the surface finish off the mic body at the contact points. And I had a little trouble with the cam-lock, it can get rotated and interfere with the mount when you flip it up/down. Minor points I guess...

Steve
The finish, which is electroplate nickel over brass, gets marred by repeat mounting dismounting of the shock mount to the mic. That's why the case has it so you never have to take it out of the mount. I've sen some with strong marks form this before. It does buff out.

The rubber rings in the mount can't really mar the nickel that I've seen. If its a rubber mark, that comes off with a little cleaner.

The cam lock thing is not fixed, its resettable. Its really a built in spring loaded wrench...it pulls out and you can reset it to any position when it gets too close to the bottom or top of the shock mount frame. Very classy piece of hardware.
Brad
Old 9th December 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Lunde
There was 8-10 mics that landed in the USA that had a "goofed up resistor", all fixed long ago (1 1/2 to 2 years ago?).

The revoicing, which happened earlier this year (2004), nailed it. Every demo since has been a home run. I am waiting from the factory to get that SN demarkation of previous vs. revoiced mics. I will post when I have it! Safe to say that everything we have sold since this spring has been "revoiced" ones. The Phantom V's we just started to get are ALL of the revoiced variety. There's probably zero of the revoiced variety available used in the US.

Brad
Hey Brad,

I'm thinking about getting a Phantom C and I would like to have the SN info when you get a chance.

Thanks, Paul
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

a little bit off-topic,
but would anybody here consider a pair of 930s for stereo room-micing or even field-recordings?
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

should be good with that consistent cardiod polar pattern... at least they say ;-)
Old 10th December 2004
Lives for gear

I have a matched pair of 930s and find they are excellent for distant and close micing. I have used them on choirs, woodwinds, drum overheads, and grand piano with great results. The only thing I have not liked them on so far is nylon string guitar.
📝 Reply