The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Thoughts on a Crane Song Flamingo?
Old 1st January 2004
Gear Head

Thoughts on a Crane Song Flamingo?

Hello Everyone,

I am soon going to be selling my Apogee trak-2 and I therefore need to pick-up some nice pre's. The reason for this is that I just got a Rosetta 800 and with the exception of its mic pre's, this kind of makes the Trak-2's features a bit redundant in my home studio...so now I have 4,100.00$ (I also have the 8-chanel DA and the ADAT cards for it) for 2 chanels of mic pre (if anyone is interested, please let me know!...). But I digress...

I do mostly traditional, folk music, i.e.: accoustic everything- strings, hand drums, flutes, and vocals and am looking at something that will give me a really nice presence and some adjustable colour, if possible. I am seriously looking at the Crane Song "Flamingo" and was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with it?

I am also looking at pre's by John Hardy, as well as the Great River MP2-NV. I was told that the John Hardy would give a nice 'Sparkle' and presence, the Great River would be a bit more 'beefy', and the Crane Song was in between the two.

Any thoughts, anyone?

I hope all is well, and I thank you for your time.

Sayat Nova

[email protected]
Old 2nd January 2004
It's awesome. Clear, fast, just a little bit of attitude, but don't expect overt amounts of harmonic distortion or the typical tranny softening or bump in the lows...it has some options, but they are subtle. I'd also consider the Buzz Audio 1.1 with Sowter output, the Chandler TG-2, and OSA in addition to the ones you mentioned. There are so many good preamps on the market, it just depends on what you are looking for.
Old 2nd January 2004
Gear Head

Nathan,

Thank you for your response.

Cheers,

Sayat Nova

[email protected]
Old 2nd January 2004
There is only one

i would go wit hteh flamingo. i did go with one. love it. especially for what you are talking about. you could always go to the spider instead. get 8 channels if you need morethan two.
Old 4th January 2004
member no 666

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NathanEldred
[B]I believe that Crane Song has stopped producing the Flamingo for some time being to concentrate on production of their new products and R&D on some other up and coming ones.

You believe wrong. The "Flamingo" is alive and well and very much still in production. We just took delivery on some... they'd been backordered for like a month, but they finally came in.

Quote:
I'd also consider the Buzz Audio 1.1 with Sowter output, the Chandler TG-2, and OSA in addition to the ones you mentioned.

Apples, and Oranges, and Kiwi Fruit... the Buzz, the OSA and the Chandler have about as much to do with the Flamingo as they do with a DW Fearn or a GML.
Old 5th January 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Apples, and Oranges, and Kiwi Fruit... the Buzz, the OSA and the Chandler have about as much to do with the Flamingo as they do with a DW Fearn or a GML.
I was mentioning some favorites in addition to what he said he was already looking at, it wasn't a comparison.
Old 5th January 2004
Motown legend

The Flamingo has turned up on a number of the most stunning recordings I've gotten in here to master. Others include the GMLs, the John Hardys and both Great River preamps. I would compare one or ALL of those to anything else I was considering buying because my experience is that they are the ones to beat.
Old 5th January 2004
Lives for gear

Flamingos are available

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search