The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pink floyd "animals" recording/equipment !!!!
Old 24th December 2006
Gear Addict

pink floyd "animals" recording/equipment !!!!

hey slutz!

im pretty new to the forum.
one of my favorite recordings, pink floyd animals.......
i know they did this supposedly at a small home type setup they configured.
i love the sound of this album,

does anyone know what console, pres' mics anything on the prcess ? or even just comments on the album, mixing, engineer, whatever.
feel freedfegad
Old 25th December 2006
Gear Guru

well, i know the bass is a gibson eb2, same as what i use. it's an unsung hero of the bottom imo, nothing else sounds like it.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 25th December 2006
Lives for gear

I think the floyd are very fond of Coles 4038 ribbon mics

Dave gilmour has them on his houseboat recording studio, he used them for his last solo LP
Old 25th December 2006
Gear Nut

"Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam.... aggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!"

Wow. Just such an excellent record. It's doesn't get the attention of the others--not sure why. No singles--oh yeah, that must be it.

Don't know if you know about it, but Nick Mason wrote a autobiography last year. Should have a TON of info in there, plus it's probably quite an entertaining read. He's a pretty witty chap.
Old 25th December 2006
Gear Addict

song "sheep" from animals is beyond words ,dunno what else to say - timeless

Last edited by RhOdEz; 25th December 2006 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: typo ...
Old 25th December 2006
Gear Addict

"Animals" is my favorite Floyd album also. Cool use of vocoders and leslies
Old 25th December 2006
Lives for gear

One of my fav albums by anyone.
Sheep & Dogs are incredible pieces of music and lyric.
It was, I believe, recorded in pink floyds brittania row studios. They had just set it up. I forget what desk it was however...
Old 26th December 2006
Gear Addict

Wish I could have a "small home type setup" like THEY had!
Old 26th December 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah great album, big favorite of mine. There is so much stuff going on I get something new every time.

I have a great article from Studio sound c.1977 that talks a lot about the Floyds "new" studio.

Basically they were tired of clock watching at abbey road, (and having other acts use the studios while they toured etc.) so they purchased a small building in islington, london (britannia row)

half of it was used for storing their live rig and the other half was converted into a small rather austere (strip lights and brick, no hippy vibe here) studio.

as they were a bit short of money at the time (having made some bad investments and still waiting for the DSOTM money to really come in) they could not afford a Neve.

they ended up with a bundle deal from MCI (a series 500) and a Stephens tape machine. Also to be different they got dbx rather than dolby NR. This they later regretted as no one else had it so there tapes weren't much good elsewhere.
Other items included some JBL monitors (yuch) and a few 1176. er thats about it!

The engineer was brian humpries who also did live sound for them (he did Wish you were here too) I have asked about him for many years and no one knows what happened to him after the early 1980's. So he either retired or passed on. he is one man i would love to share a bottle of fine wine and chat to as he did my too favorite floyd albums.

The only other thing was that they waited to see if sales went well before doing a quad mix. And we still wait........

There were mild rumours of an SACD reissue but that's all gone quiet now and I guess "the wall" and "Wish you were here" would come first.

As you can tell, I only have a passing interest in Pink Floyd
Old 26th December 2006
Lives for gear

Lookin' forward to a guest vocal spot for one of the bands I produced this year at their CD release party on New Years Eve. We'll be doing "Pigs." Think I'll leave the stage to get a beer at the bar during the bridge.

One of my favorite albums of all time. Probably my favorite by Pink Floyd. I think it sounds amazing, although I think Roger Waters' solo stuff sounds sonically better.

I think the keyboard intro to "Pigs" is my favorite keyboard sound of all time.

The vocal effects on "Sheep" are unprecidentedly awesome.

The climax of "Dogs" is one of my favorite songwriting moments of all time.

Anyways, sorry, I don't have any insights on the gear involved with the album, I just get excited when I talk about Animals. Maybe I shoulda been a vet?

P.S. Interesting, I always thought Roger played his P-Bass on "Animals." Kinda sounds like it. Learn something new every day!
Old 26th December 2006
Gear Maniac

So thats what they used the stephens on! I always wondered about that. I think Mike Shipley actuaul sat in on those sessions, maybe he'll pop around when he see's this thread? There definatly is not enough discussion on Pink Floyd records around here.
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

If I remeber correctly when Bob Erzin, came over to do "the wall" he made them chuck the stephens into a swimming pool!
Old 27th December 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCained View Post
If I remeber correctly when Bob Erzin, came over to do "the wall" he made them chuck the stephens into a swimming pool!

Well that was sure dumb then. Not the easiest or most reliable machine, but it obviously sounded pretty good. Didn't know about the DBX though, that really surprises me.

Floyd fans discuss it here: http://www.ric323.com/pf-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1313
Old 29th December 2006
Gear Guru

Information on "Animals"

Quote:
PIGS ON THE WING (Pt. II)
(Roger Waters)

Concept: A love song to Waters then wife Carolyne. Brings the album to a close, a "we got through it together" type of ending.

Information: Possibly the only Floyd love song. Directed at Roger Waters then wife Carolyne Christie.

Live ('77): Followed "Dogs", contains a guitar solo played by Snowy White.

Montreal Olympic Stadium (July 6th, 1977): Just as Roger Waters was about to sing the first words, a large firecracker erupted to the side of the stage. Roger immediatly stopped singing and shouted, "aww for **** sakes, stop lettin' off fireworks and shouting and screaming, I'm trying to sing a song.". Incidently this is also the same show in which Waters spat on a fan.
Old 29th December 2006
Lives for gear

Well, I guess that's straight from the horses mouth, but I always thought Pigs on the Wing was an intro/outro commentary on society (like the rest of the album is, comparing different types of people to animals.) A looking glass to enter and exit the album.

Track 1 - Life without compassion (not setting aside our differences)
Track 2 - Aggressive, mover/shaker, military (as always) type
Track 3 - Seven deadly sins type
Track 4 - Victim type
Track 5 - Life with compassion (setting aside our differences)

That's always how I viewed the album. I know Roger incorporated his relationship with his wife into "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking" (it almost ruined his marriage, I read,) but I never got the feeling he was exclusively writing a love song to his wife. I mean, he may have been, but I don't think that's how he meant for the listener to identify with it.

I also noticed that the two Pigs on the Wing songs must have been recorded at seperate times, because the tone (mic placement) sounds different. I woulda thought he'd record them both back to back. Maybe he did and just went for a glass of wine in between takes.
Old 29th December 2006
Lives for gear

I am a big Animals fan also. I love the artwork also. I hope I am able to get to London someday and get a picture in front of Battle Sea.

Todd
Old 30th December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The engineer was brian humpries who also did live sound for them (he did Wish you were here too) I have asked about him for many years and no one knows what happened to him after the early 1980's. So he either retired or passed on. he is one man i would love to share a bottle of fine wine and chat to as he did my too favorite floyd albums.
Animals was and is one of my favorite albums. Brian Humphries was one of my favorite engineers of the era (along with Ken Scott, Glen Johns, Eddie Offord, & Alan Parsons) and definitely inspired me to become an engineer. I feel Brian doesn't get nearly enough credit as he deserves. The Black Sabbath albums he did were the birth of Metal as far as I'm concerned, and both Floyd albums are masterpieces.

STeve
Old 30th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Well that was sure dumb then. Not the easiest or most reliable machine, but it obviously sounded pretty good. Didn't know about the DBX though, that really surprises me.

Floyd fans discuss it here: http://www.ric323.com/pf-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1313
On a side note, I don't think the guy (stephenson) is gonna be around much longer. He just went back in the hospital.
Old 30th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF View Post
I hope I am able to get to London someday and get a picture in front of Battle Sea.
It's called Battersea : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Power_Station
Old 31st December 2006
Lives for gear

They used Fruity Loops with a POD and behringer eqs and compressors
Old 31st December 2006
Lives for gear

I believe The Wall was done with a pair of synched Stephens machines.

Pigs On The Wing is one song on the 8-track release; verse (intro of LP) / guitar solo (missing from all other releases) / verse (end of LP). It was cut up and abbreviated for the LP.
Old 31st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCained View Post
Seems unlikely as Bob owned several Stephens 24 tracks and had road cases for them so they could be shipped. I ended up with one that he sold to Producers Workshop in LA where some Floyd stuff was done. My first 24 track as it turned out. Fabulous sound, but near impossible to sync to the outside world (this is well before Pro Tools ya know) so eventually it was replaced by a Studer.

Mark Linett
Old 31st December 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Pigs On The Wing is one song on the 8-track release; verse (intro of LP) / guitar solo (missing from all other releases) / verse (end of LP). It was cut up and abbreviated for the LP.
Are you serious? That is news to me. Did the band kick in or was it just a light little solo? Breaking it up into the 2 parts seems so perfectly conceptual and Floyd-like. I naturally just assumed it was planned out that way.
Old 31st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post

Whoops.

Todd
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

Pigs on the Wing (Part One):

I always figured Roger Waters played the gitter on this. It's almost rubato, just following the vocal. Hard to imagine two guys working it out that way. Also, the way it trails off at the end...
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Sky View Post
Are you serious? That is news to me. Did the band kick in or was it just a light little solo? Breaking it up into the 2 parts seems so perfectly conceptual and Floyd-like. I naturally just assumed it was planned out that way.
this longer version isn't that hard to come by, methinks. i had it on my itunes for a while. now it's not there. the band does not kick in in the solo. to me, the solo sounds a lot like gilmour, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.
on a related topic, i do have a handful of rog's demos for the wall (The Trial, Don't Leave Me Now). if people would like to hear them, i can start a new thread with them, although i'm not sure of the copyright situation on that.
-J
Old 2nd January 2007
I think Pink Floyd recorded some records on a Quad Eight consolel!
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF View Post
I am a big Animals fan also. I love the artwork also. I hope I am able to get to London someday and get a picture in front of Battle Sea.

Todd
I sold a used copy of "Animals" last month at the record store. The guy went out to his car and came back in with a picture he took there from the exact angle of the album art (minus the flying pig.) It was neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Pigs on the Wing (Part One):

I always figured Roger Waters played the gitter on this. It's almost rubato, just following the vocal. Hard to imagine two guys working it out that way. Also, the way it trails off at the end...
I was always under the impression that he played guitar on this too. I also always thought he played guitar on "Mother" as well, could be wrong about that, tho.
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I sold a used copy of "Animals" last month at the record store.
Stop! Buy a turntable!
Old 3rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Stop! Buy a turntable!
Got three! I was the guy who was behind the register.

And at least it was an early pressing copy!

For Floyd on vinyl, I've got:

A Nice Pair
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon
The Wall
The Final Cut

Animals is definately next on my "to get" list. Love me some vinyl.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search