The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pink floyd "animals" recording/equipment !!!!
Old 18th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRANKOR View Post
I think it's just cross faded with a synth... That's how it always sounded to me
same here
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

After years reading this forum, this is my first post

Anybody know what kind of effect used Roger in Pigs vocals ?
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

Animals guitar tone

I have never heard such a warm pleasantly saturated clean guitar tone, on ANY album, as that of David Gilmour's tone on Animals ...I think Brian was really slamming that tape

my theory is, maybe it's combination of both preamp, tape saturation and ribbon mics? ...which at the time were out of favor

part of my thinking is that the mics seemed a fair distance away from the amp, because of the "room sound" ...which means you would have to really crank preamp gain on a ribbon mic, to get good level

anyways, this type of saturation seems to soften the edges, but still cut though the mix
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
well, i know the bass is a gibson eb2, same as what i use. it's an unsung hero of the bottom imo, nothing else sounds like it.

gregoire
del
ubk
sounds like a P bass to me.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCained View Post
If I remeber correctly when Bob Erzin, came over to do "the wall" he made them chuck the stephens into a swimming pool!
Not likely since Ezrin owned a Stephens 24 that had a very large road case. The machine later ended up at Producer's Workshop in LA where I believe Floyd mixed an album or two.

I bought the Stephens from the studio and used it for many years.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

How was the tone of the Stephens? Is it true that they sounded better than the Studers of the time period?
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritledd View Post
I think Brian was really slamming that tape
unlikely considering the era this was recorded in. likely to have been a low level tape as well.
Old 19th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I remember going to England in 2009 to visit my fiancé, and being on the train, not paying much attention, then looking up and seeing it, and thinking, "Oh! Animals!". I'd never put much thought into it until that, but have always loved the album and the cover art!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF View Post
I am a big Animals fan also. I love the artwork also. I hope I am able to get to London someday and get a picture in front of Battle Sea.

Todd
Old 18th June 2018
Gear Nut

I think Roger was using a slow phase/modulation effect on his bass on this album, especially "sheep"

you can hear it more prominently on the live bootlegs recordings of "raving and drooling" and the '77 shows too

it is a very spartan & bare production compared to their previous & following LP's; I always wondered why

the drums don't seem to have the low end bloom of the others, and everything sounds kind of edgy

fantastic album though: one of my favourites for sure

ps whoever claims Roger used a Gibson EB2 bass on this, what are your sources? I have never seen Roger play anything but a P bass, once he got rid of the Rick

Last edited by becks bolero; 18th June 2018 at 05:10 PM..
Old 18th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritledd View Post
I have never heard such a warm pleasantly saturated clean guitar tone, on ANY album, as that of David Gilmour's tone on Animals ...I think Brian was really slamming that tape

my theory is, maybe it's combination of both preamp, tape saturation and ribbon mics? ...which at the time were out of favor

part of my thinking is that the mics seemed a fair distance away from the amp, because of the "room sound" ...which means you would have to really crank preamp gain on a ribbon mic, to get good level

anyways, this type of saturation seems to soften the edges, but still cut though the mix
are you mixing up WYWH and Animals?

I can't think of any warm, pleasantly saturated clean guitar tones, on Animals??
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear
The sound of the electric piano w/ sheep has never left my head since 35 years ago.
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post

I can't think of any warm, pleasantly saturated clean guitar tones, on Animals??
Acoustic guitar wall of sound. Clean and saturated. Pleasant? It is to me.
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Guru
Pink Floyd and David Gilmore have always been on another level sonically. Hands down. When all the debate rages over analogue/digital, I basically say, when you can hear on that level and create that space and clarity, you're there. That they were doing that consistently over the years, is amazing......
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
The sound of the electric piano w/ sheep has never left my head since 35 years ago.
Yep! I agree 1000%.
I love that E. Piano sound.
Hearing it really gets the creative juices flowing!
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Guru

Thank you, I know what I am going to spin on my turntable tonight!
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

This was the music that made me want to play/make music. I was 8.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
This was the music that made me want to play/make music. I was 8.
Yeah my first record was Animals. Good start, i still listen to it all the time.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Acoustic guitar wall of sound. Clean and saturated. Pleasant? It is to me.
yes I agree, but I assumed he was talking about electric?

Dogs intro is a great acoustic mix

Wish You Were Here has some of the best clean guitar tones, I think the OP got Animals mixed up with that album.

the electric gtr on Animals is mostly sharp, aggressive telecaster, to my ears
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

This site has tons of info on Gilmour's gear over his whole career.

The Pete Cornish Animals effects board |

Speaking of Pink Floyd, did anybody see the 'Their Mortal remains' exhibition? I saw it in London, VERY impressive to say the least. And to see Gilmour's black Strat right in front of you - behind glass - was mighty impressive.
Old 30th March 2019
Tonight, I was in the mood for some "Animals" and in getting lost in the sonics of the album, I decided to check out the board that it was mixed on and stumbled into this thread (not thinking that Animals would be so well regarded on or even mentioned in detail on GS). Anyway, I'm glad that Animals is so well celebrated...it is a MASTERPIECE, just like Wish You Were Here and Meddle. I always felt that Animals was a "novel" for the "movie" of The Wall -- similar concepts but always prefered Animals (the novel is almost always better than the movie they say).

Putting aside its great songs and performances, there is something particularly masterful about the mixing and overall tone of Animals. Its sound is big, majestic and dare I say, cinematic. Yet, it has a rawness and intimacy too. One thing for sure in engineering terms -- the mixes are very dynamic; not a lot of compression on the overall mixes. The placement of instruments and sounds in the stereo field and the sense of space and distance is remarkable. Many of the sounds and instruments seem to pop out of nowhere for dramatic effect -- no mix automation no less.

There's something truly magical about this record (my toss-up Floyd album along with Wish You Were Here) and other albums of the era. For the first time in about 2 years, I listened yesterday to King Crimson's "Lark's Tongue In Aspic" and while Crimson did not have the benefit of the amazing sonics of Dark Side (same year, 1973), it's nonetheless a great record sonically (the musicianship is of course 1st rate).

That 1972-1982 time period just had some amazing records sonically. I sometimes think that perhaps we should limit ourselves to 16 or 24 tracks, bouncing and track sharing like the old days to get THAT sound!
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Guru
Pigs Wah solo is one of the greatest uses of that effect ever..... What writing, phrasing, and execution. The simple guitar backing chords are just sublime.......
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head

I believe, apart from Dogs (Gilmour, Waters) all songs were written by Waters.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

That would be ATC SCM 200s.....

Brad

Last edited by Brad Lunde; 1st April 2019 at 08:21 PM..
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
That would be ATC SCM 200s.....

Brad
You seem to be confusing monitors with microphones
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
No just reverse wire them, and gives the singer something to hide behind......
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Sorry for the misquote- I didn't even realize I hit the quote button! Only meant to say ATC built the monitors for the boat.

Brad
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

d'oh
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear
Now I am wanting a Pete Cornish guitar pedal.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Maniac
Did I miss it? Any info on acoustic guitar sound on this album?
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge View Post
Did I miss it? Any info on acoustic guitar sound on this album?
I do notice a drastic difference in gtr sound, between "pigs on the wing" I & II

which is admirable...it's the same chords, they could have just re-used the backing track!

but it sounds like a different session/room to me? or at least different EQ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search