The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Raindirk Series 3, again...
Old 24th December 2006
Gear Maniac

Raindirk Series 3, again...

Hi!

There was a thread or 2 about this desk recently, but there didn't seem to be much response... there's surely got to be someone who's used one of these desks?

I spoke to Cyril Jones and he's given me some tech. details, specs and paperwork etc, but what I'm really interested in is realworld sound/ergonomics etc. thoughts... how does it compare with other 'high end' consoles... neve/ssl/trident/api etc... where does it sit in the spectrum?? Of course it will be different, but anyone used one and care to comment? What did you like or not like?

A barrage of questions!

Any thoughts appreciated!!
Cheers
Iain
Old 24th December 2006
Gear Nut

yes that would be interesting also if anyone knows any albums that have been made with them.
Old 24th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops909 View Post
yes that would be interesting also if anyone knows any albums that have been made with them.
According to the link below, a Raindirk Series III was used on 7 tracks on one of Craig David's albums. I'm not sure which album it was, but I guess it must have been the one recorded circa. 2004, when the newsletter below was written.

http://www.kmraudio.com/Newsletter.pdf
Old 3rd January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Hutch View Post
Hi!

There was a thread or 2 about this desk recently, but there didn't seem to be much response... there's surely got to be someone who's used one of these desks?

I spoke to Cyril Jones and he's given me some tech. details, specs and paperwork etc, but what I'm really interested in is realworld sound/ergonomics etc. thoughts... how does it compare with other 'high end' consoles... neve/ssl/trident/api etc... where does it sit in the spectrum?? Of course it will be different, but anyone used one and care to comment? What did you like or not like?

A barrage of questions!

Any thoughts appreciated!!
Cheers
Iain
I haven't used a Series 3 - but my early Raindirk Minimixer sounds great. Great low end and a very natural sound overall. I'm sure the Series 3 will easily compare with any of the consoles you mentioned. If one is available at a decent price - get it!

Best,

Ryland
Old 3rd January 2007
Lives for gear
Yet again, I too have no experience of the Series III, but have played with a Symphony, which is definately up there with the best. The Symphony was specified by the Rolling Stones (and many others) for many of thier mobile recordings.

Raindirks do not look quite as whizz-bang as a big, old Neve or an SSL, but they are every bit as good and certainly more reliable.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops909 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
According to the link below, a Raindirk Series III was used on 7 tracks on one of Craig David's albums. I'm not sure which album it was, but I guess it must have been the one recorded circa. 2004, when the newsletter below was written.

http://www.kmraudio.com/Newsletter.pdf
I just read somewhere that the Series III "was used on a series of albums by Robert Fripp and Andy Summers". AFAIK, they only did two albums together, so I imagine it was used for both.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I believe Byron Lee purchased a Raindirk for Dynamic Sounds in Kingston Ja...but dont know what series
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'd really like to know what, if any, records were made on a Raindirk Symphony.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

The cutting rooms studio in north Manchester use a Symphony in their main studio.

http://www.citycol.com/cuttingrooms/

There is a list of clients on the website.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
The cutting rooms studio in north Manchester use a Symphony in their main studio.

http://www.citycol.com/cuttingrooms/

There is a list of clients on the website.
Thanks for the link, but there's no way of knowing from that list which songs/albums might have been recorded in Studio 1. I'm definitely interest in finding out what James, The Charlatans and The Doves recorded there though.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear
Let's put it this way - it would be easier to list the major acts that have NOT used a Symphony at one time or other.

The only one I can think of at the moment is Pink Floyd. All the others from Michael Jackson to The Rolling Stones, from Rammstein to the Berlin Philamonic have used a Symphony.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I dont know what series it was but I've used a Raindirk recently that's a bit of a dog.
The EQ was largely unusable and the mix path was so noisy I ended up just using it as mic amps and taking the tracking away with monitor mixes done ITB.
The desk has potential to sound very clear and nice but frankly the way they were built means they were always up against it over time IMHO.
I was unimpressed by a lot of the features generally so personally I put Raindirk somewhere below Neve, DDA, API, Cadac, Calrec, Audix...
somewhere around soundcraft- good enough if looked after.... BUT this is based on only 2 consoles and I do like the mic amps so racked bits I'd be reasonablly excited about.
I'd never buy one but I would be happy to track on a Raindirk IF it was in top condition.

edit:
I should add that I am more used to tracking on EMI Neve/Neve consoles so many things will struggle to live up to that, but Raindirk and Harrison consoles are the ones that have really fallen short to me... I have a feeling this has been more due to neglect in the past than the potential of the console to be great.
Old 14th January 2008
Here for the gear

Raindirk history !

there is a list of artist who tape on raindirk also a pic of one of the 3 console that were at olympics studio room ... to 1974 till the 80S just imagine how many album have been done on those desk the list is so long....

Olympic Studios London purchased 2 recording consoles for studios and a special Series 3 for the remix room (studio 3) fitted with the now sought after Helios Mic/EQ channels (Ex studio 2) in the meter bridge above the channels as alternative EQ. 8 mute busses were on this console. Former studio manager Keith Grant has this console in his film-dubbing suite in his garden studio. A fourth console was installed at the Olympic Chelsea Studio. Rupert Neve, yes Rupert, purchased one for his religious foundation work. His comment ‘Cyril Jones is very good – conservative, but excellent performance and good implementation’ - Audio Media interview. A Series 3 belonging to Matthew Fisher of Procol Harem recently was in the workshop for refurbishment and now in a new studio.

FLEETWOOD MOBILES :

021 TV
A Certain Ration
Academy Broadcasting Co
Acker Bilk
Alain Bashung (French)
Alexandra O'Neal
Allison Moyet
Anglia TV
Animal Logic
Antenne 2 (French TV)
Art Blakey
Art Garfunkel
Aswad
Barry Douglas
BB King
BBC Radio London
BBC Television
Belfast Opera House
Big Country
Billy Joel
Billy Paul
Blow Monkeys
Bob Clearmountain
Bob Hope
Bolshoi Ballet
Boy George
Bruce Springsteen
Buckingham Palace
Buddy Curtess and the

Grasshoppers Buddy Rich & Orchestra Capital Radio Cariton TV

Canton Video Ltd Central TV Chevalier Brothers Chrysalis Records

Cliff Richard

Courtney Pine

Curiosity Killed the Cat Curtis Mayfield

Cyndi Lauper

Dallas

Decca Records
Dee C Lee
Depeche Mode
Desmond Dekker
Dizzy Gillespie
Do Diddley
DrJohn
Eartha Kitt
Eddie Grant
Ellis Beggs and Howard
BLP
EMI Records
Eppu Norrmali (Finland)
Flesh for Lulu
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Fuji TV
Gap Band
Geno Washington
Granada TV
Gregory Isaacs
Gun
Helen Terry
Herbie Hancock Quartet
HRH Prince Charles
HuskerDU
I've Got The Bullet (Dutch)
lan Matthews
Icicle Works
Ife Kosmin
II Bites
Indians in Moscow
Q
Island Records
James King & The Lone Wolves
James Taylor
Jerry Lee Lewis
Jim Davidson
John Martyn
John Mayall's Blues Breakers
Jose Carreras
Julien Clerc (French)
Keith Richards
Landseer Films
Lee Aaron
Lenny Henry
Level 42
Lionel Hampton Band
Little Richard
Little Stephen
Liza Minelli
London Symphony Orchestra
London Weekend TV
Luther Vandross
Magnum
Mama's Boys
Manfred Man
Marquee Club
Matt Bianco
Max Collier Jazz Band & Rhythm Aces

McCoyTynerTrio Meatloaf

Mentom Films

Michael Jackson Michelle Shocked Motorhead

MTV

MUD

National Video Corporation Nazareth

Neil Young
Newport Jazz Festival All Stars
One Nation
Otis Rush
PaulJohnson
Peter Gabriel
Polydor
Polygram
Ravi Shankar
Ray Charles
RCA-Ariola
Roachford
Robert Palmer
Ronnie Scotts Jazz Club
Roy Orbison
Royal Albert Hall
Royal Opera House
Royal Variety Performance
Ruby Turner
Run Rig
Scottish TV
Sheila (French)
Sheila Walsh
Shots
Simple Minds
Sori Sol (Danish)
Southside Johnny
Spirogyra
Squeeze
Stanley Jordan
Steve Marriott
Stiff Records
Sting
Style Council
TPau
Telegenic
Thames TV
The Bluebells
The Fabulous Thunder-birds
The Foundations
The Housemartins
The Jazz Devils
The Kirov, Leningrad
The la's
The Mint Juleps
The Mission
The Nashville Teens
The Stranglers
The Tom Robinson Band
The Truth
Then Jericho
Three Degrees
Tina Turner
Tony Barton
Town & Country Club
Trilion Video Ltd
Trillion
TVS

Old 15th January 2008
Here for the gear

Hey - I remember mixing an album on that Matthew Fisher desk at his studio in Croydon in 1984!
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnb View Post
Hey - I remember mixing an album on that Matthew Fisher desk at his studio in Croydon in 1984!
Thats the one I was talking about! In it's new home... I have used it again since and it has settled very well (or had more work done to it!) I still dont like the eq's and they were still noisy- but the mic stages and the (odd) routing are clean and fast.
Its not great for the way I like to work but do think its a better console now than I did 18 months ago.
Old 27th November 2013
Here for the gear

Raindirk Series III console

Just saw this thread, I know its old but thought you might be interested to hear that I own the Raindirk iii thats mentioned - and I'm interested in selling it!

Its the custom L format board from Olympic and Keith Grant, also contrary to one of the posts I know that this board was used to partially record Pink Floyd's Division Bell... so they have also have definitely used a Raindirk console.

Anyhow send me a PM if you're interested
Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear

An old thread to resurrect but I think worth it as I was the one with the damning comments and having used anothe series 3 since all that my opinion has grown. Still not hugely flexible but I'm now quite a fan of the sound and would absolutely buy one if I saw it at the right price!
My first experience was on a desk that still needed a lot of restoration and I was not told that at the time so just assumed it was bad. It would be wrong to tar the S3 with that brush across the board.
Old 16th June 2015
Here for the gear

Im new to gearslutz so not sure how it works yet. Just wanted to say i have Keith grants old raindirk series 3. Currently being restored. Has been fully recapped. Hope to be using it soon. May be too big for my studio so may be for say if so. Wonderful history
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear

My new Mix suite is centered around a Raindirk Symphony that was in the Manor mobile.

I hope to have it wired up and working with all my kit over the coming month or so ( when times permits)

It's incredibly compact with 24 channels and 24 small faders for 48 line in at mix all in 1 m wide by 1.2 m deep, sounds deep and wide, dead quiet and musical.

I'm very exited to finally get it all going soon!

Wiggy
Old 16th July 2015
Here for the gear

My S3

Hi guys just to say I have a fully restored S3 all done by Cyril in 2010 and I love the sound its routing is a bit quirky but simple once you get your head around it. I want to add an option to add the monitor section to the other channels to increase the mix down to 50 odd channels, and the best ofcourse is the lovely open sound
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

I think we need to get some Raindirk pics up.

I've been too busy with work and buying gear to set mine up but I definitely will when it's done.

I've got a horrible flutter echo to sort first i think...

Wiggy
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Head

there you go. 40 ch ln2.

Old 18th July 2015
More cowbell!

Raindirk is one of the few desks I look for on all my used sources every week, hoping one comes along. I wish I saw them more often but it seems in the past few years they come up less and less.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search