The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann km84i ...wow Condenser Microphones
Old 27th April 2015
Neumann km84i ...wow

I have just got a vintage neumann km84i and am extremely impressed by it, so far it's the only mic I own that pretty much sounds exactly like the room and it's even showing me the acoustic imperfections, it must be a very accurate microphone! I am using it for classical guitar and also strummed steel string, what a mic!
Old 28th April 2015
Gear Nut

Just gorgeous.
Old 28th April 2015
They rock on everything.

Buy more.
Old 28th April 2015
Old 28th April 2015
I borrowed a mint pair last year to try on a drum recording and after that I knew there was no going back. Bought 3 when they poped up on the used market :D
They just capture the weight of the stick hitting the cymbals like nothing else. They are not dark but very balanced and you can cut out some lows without the source getting harsh. Just fantastic!
Old 28th April 2015
Gear Head

What are they like compared to the KM184?
Old 28th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benyah View Post
KM 84's are much better sounding in my opinion.

More natural, more balanced and a much more pleasant top end.

KM 84's, KMS 84's and KM 86's are wonderful sounding SDC transistor microphones.
Old 28th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
I have just got a vintage neumann km84i and am extremely impressed by it, so far it's the only mic I own that pretty much sounds exactly like the room and it's even showing me the acoustic imperfections, it must be a very accurate microphone! I am using it for classical guitar and also strummed steel string, what a mic!
Don't say so I just passed on a pair for a great price from someone in Germany! :(
Old 28th April 2015
Quote:
The top end doesn't have that zing to it like 184's have. Also, they have that forward midrange....."thing" that seemed to originate with vintage Neumanns. 184's don't have that.

184's capture the sound, but 84's add weight and mojo.
Old 28th April 2015
Gear Addict

The midrange on a KM84 is what is so awesome. Great for acoustic instruments.
Old 28th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benyah View Post
Like others had said I think it's the KM 84's midrange character that makes it sound more solid but also less sterile than the KM 184. The -10db pad is also very useful. The KM 184 is a good mic but to my ears it's a blurrier and colder sound compared to the 84.

84s can vary quite a bit depending on the state of the capsule so some servicing might be necessary if you buy them 'as is'. I'm lucky to own a pair with consecutive # numbers and absolutely love them!
Old 28th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
The KM 184 is a good mic but to my ears it's a blurrier and colder sound compared to the 84.
Yes, more accurate and less coloured with lower distortion.
Old 28th April 2015
I still wonder why Neumann doesn't reissue this mic.... everybody likes them more than the 184 !! it's not something they can not build anymore
Old 29th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman View Post
They rock on everything.

Buy more.
agree man, I've been amazed so far, can now see why people rave about them so much and why they were once an industry standard, time to get recording I think...
Old 29th April 2015
Lives for gear

I am lucky to own 4 KM8x mics: 2 KM84s and 2 KM83s, with a pair of KK84 replacement capsules for turning the KM83s into KM84s. It is not an exaggeration to say that I now have no need for any other mics for my modest home studio. Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, vocals (with a decent pop filter), percussion, you name it, my KM mics handle everything.

Breath pops are their Kryptonite. Get a decent pop filter (I use the Rycote) and these mics are Superman in a lead suit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search