The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can anyone recommend me a clean uncolored pre yet dynamic sounding pre? 500 Series Preamps
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Head

Can anyone recommend me a clean uncolored pre yet dynamic sounding pre?

I need it for vocals mainly but need versatality as well, I want them natural as possible to fit many voices. Specifically on phones is what I want the mix to sound baby ass clean and roomy on handling compression and limiting well, If anyone knows a compressor to make vocals sit up front and open that'd be cool too, I got my eye on the brute force or shadow hills. Pres Im thinking are the earthworks 500 pre or millenia 500.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

John hardy m1
Old 27th April 2015
Hardy if you have the budget, Grace if you dont
Old 27th April 2015
Sen
Gear Addict

Look into Buzz Audio.
Elixir (500 series) or MA 2.2.
2.2 is fantastic, very "firm" sounding. Elixir I had a long time ago, and can't really remember the sound exactly, but it got a lot of use.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

If you already got a lunchbox, Sound Skulptor MP 5.99
Sound Skulptor - MP599 : DIY Microphone Preamplifier, Class A Mic Pre, Vintage Transformer Preamp, Professional Audio Kits
Goes well with the high outputs of condenser mic, clean yet puts a little compression on peaks. Bought it for the MK-U47 because other preamps (this includes showy ones) often had too much gain.
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Head
Focusrite ISA 2
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Addict

Gml 2032
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear
Hairball Audio Lola w/990 op amps.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

another vote for the Hardy M1
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Guru

If you can find used (no longer made) Great River MP2H is just what you're describing.
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Maniac

For clean from what you mentioned, I'd go Millenia. But I have a Cranesong Spider (you could go with a Flamingo) which i love...it can be clean or you can add "color"...nice versatility.
Old 29th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
If you can find used (no longer made) Great River MP2H is just what you're describing.
+1

Other options are forssell (transformerless) and dbx 786 (transformer). You may prefer one or the other.
Old 30th April 2015
meh, what about DAV? they are apparently amazing
Old 30th April 2015
Weiss A1
Old 30th April 2015
Dot
Lives for gear

Hi, Jayelem. What do you mean by "uncolored?" And what do you mean by "dynamic?"

Would you like the preamp to do some work for you? Or do you want—and could you handle—fuller resolution?

What are you doing, and what kind of sound are you wanting?
Old 30th April 2015
Lives for gear

John Hardy M1. Clean but just the right touch of attitude.

Stupidly sold the first one I had (cuz I'm a slut) and kicked myself every day after.

Finally got another one and will never make that mistake again.
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Addict

I would add Gordon to the august list, above.
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Addict

If you truly want clean I say +1 on John Hardy, Grace, Millennia, Focusrite, DAV, Daking, and others. If you want FLATTERING and clean, AMS Neve, Lachapell, Avedis, A-Designs Pacifica, etc... What do you truly wanting out of your vocals?
Old 30th April 2015
Old 30th April 2015
Old 30th April 2015
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

I recommend the Rupert Neve Designs preamps - they're groovy!
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Glad you like them. But the O/P has asked about clean uncolored yet dynamic, not groovy.
Old 1st May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
mmmh I own the RND 511 and whilst they are great for a lot of things, I've not managed to get the right sound for classical music yet, they sound too 'big' if that makes sense, they also have quite a lot of colour even with silk off, I now only use them for percussion, drums, vocals and electric guitar, sometimes strummed acoustic for country and rock styles but not when I want an uncoloured and clean sound.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

I'm certainly not saying that the RND pres are in the Grace/Millinium/Hardy camp of "uncolored" but, IMO, they are a lot less colored than vintage Neve, API, Chandler, et al and (having used my Portico II channel as my one and only vocal pre for a few years) I can attest that there's not a voice out there that won't be flattered by the pre.

I think that many people looking for "uncolored" actually want something more like this and would be disappointed by a true gain on a wire mic pre like some of the ones mentioned. So, let me just say that I think that they are worth demoing if looking for a great vocal pre that doesn't put a distinctive sonic stamp on everything that it touches.
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
Hi, Jayelem. What do you mean by "uncolored?" And what do you mean by "dynamic?"

Would you like the preamp to do some work for you? Or do you want—and could you handle—fuller resolution?

What are you doing, and what kind of sound are you wanting?
Lately, i'm thinking Taylor swifts vocals sound very nice on cellphones, i'd say thats pretty close to what i want my vocals to sound like on phone. I know she has used a martech pre, don't know how that would work for other genres of music and voices.
Not quite sure what you mean by have the preamp do the work, if you mean a close to mixed sound straight from the source where things just sound beautiful i'll take it
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHBOX View Post
If you truly want clean I say +1 on John Hardy, Grace, Millennia, Focusrite, DAV, Daking, and others. If you want FLATTERING and clean, AMS Neve, Lachapell, Avedis, A-Designs Pacifica, etc... What do you truly wanting out of your vocals?

I want my vocals to sound wide on cellphones. Cellphone mixes matter alot to me because mostly everyone listens back on them like i'll love my mixes on speakers, with the AMS neve which sounds huge on the speakers which i use alot for vocals but there have been times where a behringer mixer and a cheap mxl mic have sounded bigger on the phone, took compression well, widening tricks and just popped.
Old 2nd May 2015

If you can swing a soldering iron and a multimeter I recommend a Seventh Circle Audio J99 preamp kit in a One Shot Chassis.
The J99 is in the John Hardy Twin Servo realm.
It is in the clean zone but not clinical or cold.
It thickens the low end ever so subletly (not as much as a Neve) and has a kind of euphonic 3D air in the upper harmonics.
It makes things sound bigger, more detailed and three dimensional.
With the right mics it works great on most things including vocals, acoustic guitars, drum overheads, piano, upright bass... pretty much anything!
If I had to choose just one preamp then this would be it.
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Maniac

I like the words flattering and Clean to explain the Pacifica by a designs it's great on vocals .
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayelem View Post
I want my vocals to sound wide on cellphones. Cellphone mixes matter alot to me because mostly everyone listens back on them ..
cellphone mixes?!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search