The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can anyone recommend me a clean uncolored pre yet dynamic sounding pre? 500 Series Preamps
Old 2nd May 2015
but how will those vocals sound on the apple Iwatch?!!?!! I use a tin can on my iphone to make everything wider sounding. Try the ipad on a garbage can lid...that really soars
Old 2nd May 2015
I have a lot of colored pres, but for what you ask I suggest the Grace 501. It's quite versatile.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Ah, yeah, let's go back to that "cell phone mixes" thing. . .

Sounds like you're not even talking about headphones/earbuds but just playing off of your cell phones speaker. (?) (?!)

I'll swallow my "what is the world coming to?" comments and simply say that you're not going to hear any difference on the vocal mic pre over cell phone speakers. Surely you have a few mic pres - record a few passes and do a test to hear (or not hear) it yourself. I'll also suggest that if Swift's vocals sound present on your cell phone then it wasn't because of the mic pres used but rather because of her relative volume in the mix, other elements in the center of the mix (since you're hearing it in mono), and, since you're not hearing anything below 250hz on a phone, the sound of her voice and the range in which she sings.

Can't believe I just gave a serious answer to making vocals present on a cell phone. Ouch. My soul hurts.
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Addict

Pre amp

Cell phone mixes? Definitely a Digi 01

If not the Digi I still find an old favorite in the Pendulum preamp, and plus the box has other stuff you can use with it, if you like. Or the newer UTA pre is nice, plus it has a EQ thingy that's pretty functional.

I wonder if your cell phone mix people know this producer guy i once met who said; for my new film I'm having this song contest. Can we get a few songs from your catalog. Maybe y'll win and and we'll put in one in the film for ya for free. Hate to tell you what the budget was.
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone recommend me a clean uncolored pre yet dynamic sounding pre?-img_5773-2.jpg   Can anyone recommend me a clean uncolored pre yet dynamic sounding pre?-img_5774-2.jpg  
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Addict

Yeah; phone mixes. I remember when mixers began worrying about separate mix downs for iTunes/mp3 users. Now the smartphone is the way many shop and consider music. I get the wisdom in maximising your sound for the target listener, but is DOES seem to me that we are working our way back to the AM radio again sonically, a sound designed to favor the simplest music with the least dynamic range or sophistication i.e. Katy Perry/Taylor Swift, etc...
It seems to me you might take a cue from the way those artists are recorded and mixed. Rather than any sense of reverb, ambience or depth, the vocals will be much more dry but bussed and stacked repeatedly till they dominate the soundscape of the song, no matter how many tracks. There may be 80 tracks or more in the song, but what you'll hear on your phone is voice way out front, maybe snare and simple melody line way back there, with maybe little novel/amusing sounds popping through to maintain interest in between vocal lines. The rest of the instrumentation just mashed together in the background so the song makes sense on small speakers like a phones. I should think as long as the pre amp is complementary to the voice and both stackable and not too colorful you should be able to get what you're looking for. Hey, soon we may all have to start shopping for little 1" monitor speakers for our control rooms.
Old 2nd May 2015
"Cellphone mixes". WTF? I'm sorry but I just can't deal with that s%*t!
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Addict

Believe me, I understand. But if you're marketing a product, you adapt to the consumer if you want to eat. Harsh times for the music industry.
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit View Post
If you can swing a soldering iron and a multimeter I recommend a Seventh Circle Audio J99 preamp kit in a One Shot Chassis.
The J99 is in the John Hardy Twin Servo realm.
It is in the clean zone but not clinical or cold.
It thickens the low end ever so subletly (not as much as a Neve) and has a kind of euphonic 3D air in the upper harmonics.
It makes things sound bigger, more detailed and three dimensional.
With the right mics it works great on most things including vocals, acoustic guitars, drum overheads, piano, upright bass... pretty much anything!
If I had to choose just one preamp then this would be it.
YES! i believe you described the sound i'm after, 3d air on the top end and the rest you have said. The John hardy sounds promising as well from what i'v read.
I have not been able to achieve what i hear in my head, with a neve, eq or high passes or compression.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHBOX View Post
Believe me, I understand. But if you're marketing a product, you adapt to the consumer if you want to eat. Harsh times for the music industry.
Normally I'd agree but something tells me that people who listen to most of their music on a cell phone aren't paying a lot of money for their music.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
"Cellphone mixes". WTF? I'm sorry but I just can't deal with that s%*t!
C'mon, how hard can it be? Play your stereo mixdown out as a 64k MP3 thru one under your duvet and record it on two SM7b's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search