The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Some pics of my new SSL modular Mixer
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Some pics of my new SSL modular Mixer

As my full rig is not with me in NY at the moment, I just finished putting together this neat 16/32 channel SSL mixer.

Nucleus as Faders/DAW Automation/Sigma Gain automation/Controls/CR volume knob.

Sigma - 16/32 CH (Mono/Stereo) Summing with remote gain controls.

8X Mono EQ's in an X Rack
8x Mono Dynamics in an X Rack
4X Stereo EQ's in an X Rack
4X Stereo Dynamics in an X Rack

Full automation and Total Recall, Super compact and Awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Some pics of my new SSL modular Mixer-img_5269.jpg   Some pics of my new SSL modular Mixer-img_5276.jpg   Some pics of my new SSL modular Mixer-img_5275.jpg   Some pics of my new SSL modular Mixer-img_5289.jpg   Some pics of my new SSL modular Mixer-img_5290.jpg  

Last edited by Rea; 22nd April 2015 at 07:27 AM..
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Sexy. Let us know how it goes for you as far as workflow and sound.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

From first couple of days: Workflow is tiny strange because the processors are on the side and not above faders, but thats a thing to get accustomed to....
The sound is very wide, very precise and very sweet. Very fast to get results as everything behaves like a champ.
On the Clean side but with some SSL grunge when pushed.
Its a mini AWS/Duality sound wise, i suppose.
Old 22nd April 2015
More cowbell!

Gorgeous! A very cool idea and takes up such a nicely small footprint for so much power. Do you set/forget the Sigma, or are you employing it's automated controls in some way?
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

The choice of the Sigma was heavily influenced by the post Dyn riding ability. So definitely. The Sigma is an actual Mixer once you take remote control over it. Its not a summing box.

Im still trying to find the most fluent and "analog console" like way to control it as far as mutes etc., which are generally not remote controllable, but with some clever DAW routing and configuration it is possible to emulate all these features.

For me this is the first time that i feel it is possible to do a proper OTB mix and not on a large automated console (again- for me. Its not a generalization).
I went through every option out there, from a non automated console, to a high end summing box and DAW HW inserts, to ITB and everything in between. I think/hope this is it.
Old 22nd April 2015
More cowbell!

What are you using for conversion? Alphalink?
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Apogee Symphony with 16 I/O. Next is to expand in order to take advantage of more Sigma inputs. I love the sound of Apogee. Had all kinds over the years and find the Apogee to be the "Warmest" and most pleasant to my ears... And it complements the slightly "Cold" tone of the SSL rig.

I compared the Apogee DA to the DA in the Nucleus... I was disappointed to hear such a huge difference in favor of the Apogee... Was hoping to rely on the Nucleus DA for monitoring the 2trk return, but its not gonna do it... Im using the Nuc DA for monitoring things off of the Mac OS. And for editing sessions instead of turning everything on.Perfect for that.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

My thirst was quenched... lol

Last edited by ionian; 23rd April 2015 at 10:00 AM..
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks for being generous with your experiences, Rea. I hope we will get to hear some stuff you mix on that setup because I have always been curious about how a combination of X-Racks and Sigma sounds on a mix compared to a Duality or even a 4k. One question: How does the Superanalogue EQ compare to the Black EQ in the X-Rack? Is the the Black Reissue a lot beefier or warmer? Does it work great on Hip Hop Drums? Really interested in this.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Nice setup. If this is going to be permanent, I'd recommend getting a winged Sterling Modular desk to fit everything in. 12U at each side and the Nucleus in the center, all at easy arms reach.

Regarding the lack of auxes, this may sound silly, but you can easily solve it buy getting a cheap, under €1k, 16ch rackable mixer from AH& or the like, and patch the direct outs from the sigma directly into the mixer. Voilá, there you have 6 auxes per ch. They won't be resettable, but it works (and it's cheaper than trading sigma+nucleus for a Matrix).
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

BTW, this looks A LOT like a project I was talking into SSL, 8 years ago, to complement the existing X-Racks. Looks I was in the right track back then. (a rackable mixer, an MDAC 'blank' automated mixer and a 16ch controller)
Attached Thumbnails
Some pics of my new SSL modular Mixer-b9k_24ch_8u-16f_daw.jpg   Some pics of my new SSL modular Mixer-mdac_setup2.jpg  
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Good idea!
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Kindda simillar
Old 22nd April 2015
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
BTW, this looks A LOT like a project I was talking into SSL, 8 years ago, to complement the existing X-Racks. Looks I was in the right track back then. (a rackable mixer, an MDAC 'blank' automated mixer and a 16ch controller)
That controller design of yours is DOPE!!
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

If there was a protocol where the nucleus talk directly to the Sigma, sans computer, and control the Sigma a little deeper(fromt panel controls)it would have been really cool... Maybe in the works...?

It would turn tve nuc+sig into a unique product like no other

Last edited by Rea; 22nd April 2015 at 06:49 PM..
Old 23rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol...I'm so confused! I thought you listed all these x racks for sale?

3 Loaded SSL X-Racks (16ch of EQ and Dyn)

I'm not being a smart ass or anything - I'm generally confused as to why here you sound like you enjoy this workflow yet 16 hours earlier you listed everything for sale?
Good question. Rea, care to comment?

Best,
Chris
Old 23rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Personal matters. Luckily i do not have to sell it as i really love this rig.
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
Personal matters. Luckily i do not have to sell it as i really love this rig.
Could you tell me something about the difference of Black and Superanalogue EQ in the Xrack, especially on drums?
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Overall the black is more mid forward and feels more aggressive.

Last edited by Rea; 24th April 2015 at 07:44 PM..
Old 25th April 2015
Quote:
Jindrich, that controller is exactly what I'm looking for !

16 channels, great faders, DAW controll and vitally important, lovely narrow.
Is there anything like this which exists?

8 years ago.... my compliment !

R.
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah, that controller looks like something everyone seems to want... A stripped down, to the point, controller.

Though i think the main thing to improve right now is a modern and deep protocol such as the Eucon.

The HUI is indeed way limited and for no appearant reason. Technology made such exponential leaps in the past 15-20 years, yet the protocol on the Nucleus(the HUI more then the MCU) feels very under developed, to the point of being 70% unusable and/or too cumbersome for what it is meant to do.

Especially plugin control.Its always easier and faster to do it w the mouse, yet the mouse is fundamentally nowhere near as intuitive and fun as HW controls are.

I am surprised no one can give an answer to the depth and intuitivity EUCON offers.. But i guess its easy for me to say. Im not involved in the development and code.... So im thankful for what it does for the time being.

I am seriously considering replacing the Nuc with an Artist controller but the built and quality of the Nuc is just so much superior and feels so good...its an incredible piece of hardware.

Last edited by Rea; 25th April 2015 at 06:24 PM..
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is what an expandable faderport might have looked like if taken up by Presonus. I thought it was a well built piece of equipment with a market for growth thru 8 channel expansion blocks. They would have made a killing.
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

The problem with eucon is avid doesn't release it to third party developers.
Old 26th April 2015
Lives for gear

Sure. Just hoping for another protocol, as advanced, independent of Avid since they do not open it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search