The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best kept Secret:Darker Condensers mics Condenser Microphones
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
The SE-x1R, is a total sleeper microphone. I now own 4 of them! To me they sound fantastic.
It's a sleeper mic on acoustic guitar. It's like I can hear Joni Mitchell playing her acoustic through that mic and hearing the sweetness of it.
Old 25th April 2015
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Not dark but perfectly balanced... the Neuman Km84. Just LOVE that mic. Most modern mic's tend to be bright, at least the ones I've tried. It's nice to actually boost the highs for once instead of taming them.
I tried mine on a Neil Young type song the other day on vocals,where I was looking for a tone I wasn't getting elsewhere...damn this mic can surprise you on vocals...trick is a good pop filter and not loading up on it to close.I've had the mic for 30 yrs and never thought to try it on vocals before @[email protected]
Old 25th April 2015

For dark it's hard to beat the AEA R84 ribbon to fatten up a thin vocal or tame a screechy one.
When using the R84 with a Cloudlifter into a Seventh Circle Audio J99 preamp (Hardy Twin Servo Style) and an 1176 limiter the R84 doesn't need very much high EQ at all to bring out some presence and a little air.

The R84 straight into a Neve style SCA N72 results in quite a thick dark tone.

Just finished tracking some male vocals using a Flea 47 into a SCA N72 preamp then into a JLM LA500A Opto compressor at 3:1 with the side chain high-passed @ 200hz. The singer has a fairly midrangey style vocal sound and this combo helped to beef up his low-mids while still providing great clarity with minimal sibilance.

Last edited by pundit; 4th May 2015 at 08:59 AM..
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76 View Post
Neumann U89 is a good one too..
It's on my list. Too bad it's a pretty long one.

I think the move from brighter mics is definitely a post-tape thing, where sometimes the extra top of a C414 or whatever was needed to get something more even sounding.

Ribbons are often under rated for vocals - not just because of the smooth top end, but the way it reacts very linearly to off axis sources. The guitar/piano or even the room acoustics needn't be butchered into just the low end and a 3-7Khz peak.

People will snicker but T. Bone's SCT 800 is pretty great for the price. No it's not "Tubey", but it's more natural than many mics in that price range.
Old 3rd May 2015
I don't think of the TLM 170 or U89 as dark but just neutral. Maybe that makes them a little boring? They very honest microphones. A lot of microphone have a characteristic that really flatters a source (or doesn't) but those two microphone in particular just sort of sound like what's in front of them, which can either be a good or bad thing.

I've always found the Blue Mouse to give things a "larger than life" quality. When there's something I want to have a take up a lot of space in the low end, that's one of my choices.
Old 3rd May 2015
Gear Nut

Sony C48!!
Old 3rd May 2015
Here for the gear

The Lauten Atlantis has a lovely darker setting on one of the three voices which I think sounds pretty amazing. I'd only ever used it for front of kick but on one experiment a singer songwriter wanted something a bit darker and I haven't looked back.

Another interesting option would be the microphone parts DIY RA-23 mic with the darker RK7 capsule. Looks like a high end mic for a pretty sweet price tag if you're handy with an iron...
Old 3rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Beyerdynamic MC840s are some of the darkest condensers Ive come across, and very smooth too... completely different from the MC740s.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search