The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube Pre for Vocals
Old 18th April 2015
Tube Pre for Vocals

I am looking to add a solid Tube mic preamp. I want something that will serve as my go to tube pre flavor for vocals. I have narrowed down some choices below, and I would love to hear your perspective. I am really into smooth smokey flavored jazz vocals with loads of headroom, such as Norah Jones, and John mayer styled color.

Choices:
Lachapell 583
Universal Audio LA 610
Sebatron axis 200 vu
A designs MP 1 or MP 2
Summit Audio MPC 100

Cheers!
Old 18th April 2015
A 610 would do you well I think. What mics are you using?
Old 18th April 2015
Gear Maniac

I am looking to add a solid Tube mic preamp. I want something that will serve as my go to tube pre flavor for vocals. I have narrowed down some choices below, and I would love to hear your perspective. I am really into smooth smokey flavored jazz vocals with loads of headroom, such as Norah Jones, and John mayer styled color.

Choices:
Lachapell 583
Universal Audio LA 610
Sebatron axis 200 vu
A designs MP 1 or MP 2
Summit Audio MPC 100

Cheers!

The a designs mp-1 or 2 are great the the ua 610 is also cool . I would buy both
Old 18th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by underhillstudios View Post
I would love to hear your perspective. I am really into smooth smokey flavored jazz vocals with loads of headroom, such as Norah Jones, and John mayer styled color.
Does it have to be a tube mic pre?

M49 into Neve would give you that Norah Jones sound. That is if you sound like Norah Jones.
Old 18th April 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfarr View Post
A 610 would do you well I think. What mics are you using?
I am currently using a Tab Funkenwerk um25c mic, so a 251 flavor. And I plan to pick up a Cathedral Pipes Notre Dame later this tear for a 47 type of flavor. I have personaly owned a solo 610 and rememeber there being very little headroom and it would distort easily, however I have used the LA 610 mkii myself as a vocalist in the studio and it sounded great. Can anyone confirm wheather or not there is a difference in the peformance between a solo 610 and LA 610? Or perhaps I had a dud solo 610 unit in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyswami View Post

Choices:
Lachapell 583
Universal Audio LA 610
Sebatron axis 200 vu
A designs MP 1 or MP 2
Summit Audio MPC 100

Cheers!

The a designs mp-1 or 2 are great the the ua 610 is also cool . I would buy both
Have you used the Lachapell by any chance to compare how it performs against the LA 610 and the MP 1? The prices on 610's and MP1/2's are great these days, I just want to make sure I wont feel like im missing out on something great, other than Lachapell hype
Old 18th April 2015
Gear Guru
I have a Solo 610 and am not a pro. I will say that setting the output level is key. I gain stage basically making sure the two levels add up to 9 or 10. Ie input 7 output 3, etc. Seems to work fine. Basically keep the little gain light green and you should be OK. Someone else may have better advice. The impede ce switch is reall y cool and it's a great di on bass or a nice jazz guitar sound.
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear

Norah Jones has used an M49 into Manley Tube Pre. A bit more detail on it here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10862498-post88.html
Old 18th April 2015
I've been getting some outstanding vocal sounds using a sebatron axis 200vu. There's plenty of air and the vocals thicken up when the gain is dialled close to full. It doesn't distort at all but provides a nice smooth color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbaide View Post
I've been getting some outstanding vocal sounds using a sebatron axis 200vu. There's plenty of air and the vocals thicken up when the gain is dialled close to full. It doesn't distort at all but provides a nice smooth color.
I would love to hear some of the vocal recordings you have done with the Sebatron Peterbaide if you would not mind sending me a PM with some links. I currently can score one of these preamps for $1300 brand new.

Cheers
Old 18th April 2015
Gear Maniac

DW Fearn VT1 or VT2 is (almost) always my favorite!
I like Tubetech MP1A and Lachappel too...
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

The ADL600 will never be replaced in my studio. The massive design of that beast produces sonic silk for vocals, digital keys and a host of other chores including adding glue to a two mix. All of the previous mentioned pres have their fans but your search for a tube pre for vocals did not mention the best choice IMO!
Old 19th April 2015
Gear Maniac

I have a 583s. It is a universally extremely useful preamp. I think of it as a very nice preamp that happens to have a tube. If you are looking for a lot tube or transformer color, I don't think it's going to be your first choice.
Old 19th April 2015
Gear Guru

TAB funkenwerk V78M .. i feel privileged to own one ..
Old 19th April 2015
SEED78
Some kind of Redd47 clone
V72
Vipre
Demeter
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

v76/s , Vtmp-2 by Demeter or Inward connections Tree series.
I have all 3, all different yes great on various projects.
Old 20th April 2015
Lives for gear

ive been leaning heavily on the manley voxbox for the last several years... i am always amazed at how good that unit sounds
Old 20th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Does it have to be a tube mic pre?

M49 into Neve would give you that Norah Jones sound. That is if you sound like Norah Jones.
Despite the fact that part of Norah's signal chain may very well have been an M49 into a Neve, nothing will give you that Norah Jones sound more than being Norah Jones. You could put her on an SM57 and it would have that Norah Jones sound.
Don't believe the hype.
Old 20th April 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
Despite the fact that part of Norah's signal chain may very well have been an M49 into a Neve, nothing will give you that Norah Jones sound more than being Norah Jones. You could put her on an SM57 and it would have that Norah Jones sound.
Don't believe the hype.
I have to disagree to some extent. Norah's album "The Fall" used a Copperphone alongside a Telefunken Ela M 251 for the vocal chain, and to me it lacked the sonic qualities that made me fall in love with "Come Away with Me". She is still great nonetheless, but I did not fall in love with the recordings.
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Addict

Tree Audio : The Branch is lovely.

We have one, and its in use all the time.
The Branch single channel strip information
Old 30th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
The ADL600 will never be replaced in my studio. The massive design of that beast produces sonic silk for vocals, digital keys and a host of other chores including adding glue to a two mix. All of the previous mentioned pres have their fans but your search for a tube pre for vocals did not mention the best choice IMO!
What he said...
๐Ÿ“ Reply