The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Doubled loudness tinnitus & 10dB hearing loss in just 4 months Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 20th April 2017
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Doubled loudness tinnitus & 10dB hearing loss in just 4 months

Hello guys.

I'm a working audio engineer and I just started for 2 years. I normally monitor my mixes at around 60-70dBa. I never go to concerts, but I do go to cinemas, with my earplugs inserted.

I have had tinnitus and 10dB of hearing loss for years. Was fine until this year, things getting worse real quick. Recently I went to my doctor and performed an audiogram test due to unbearable tinnitus in both ears. The test showed that my hearing loss was at 30dB, that's 10dB more since I last checked 4 months earlier. The tinnitus is also more than twice as loud. I can now easily hear it during daytime (40-50dB background noise). Mainly high pitched ringing, sounds like 4k-12k. I'm 22 this year.

Do you guys have this same problem? Is this normal and will it get worse over time? I know this is probably uncurable. Don't wanna lose my job

Edit 1: Now I can hear low-mid roar in both ears. My doctor could not find out the cause.

Edit 2: Now I have shaking vision in both eyes. I'm planning to go to the best hospital in the country to have my brain checked.
Old 20th April 2017
  #2
Gear Guru
A lot of health issues like this are inflammation related. I'm guessing there is a bigger picture here. An occipational hazard of being an audio engineer tends to be obesitity - lack of sleep - poor food choices - lack of Vitamin D .... generally a lack of money, which tends to mean poor nutrition ...

If you haven't done so already - start to explore the benefitis of super nutrition, good sleep, stop poisoning yourself ... it's a path you have to study to find what YOUR body needs ...
Old 20th April 2017
  #3
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
A lot of health issues like this are inflammation related. I'm guessing there is a bigger picture here. An occipational hazard of being an audio engineer tends to be obesitity - lack of sleep - poor food choices - lack of Vitamin D .... generally a lack of money, which tends to mean poor nutrition ...

If you haven't done so already - start to explore the benefitis of super nutrition, good sleep, stop poisoning yourself ... it's a path you have to study to find what YOUR body needs ...
Great tips! Didn't think of that. Will definitely try these out. Thanks!
Old 27th April 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I have tinnitus caused by cervical spine C1 disc problems.I am young too and I too didnt get the tinnitus from loud sound ear damage.
Old 30th April 2017
  #5
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodym View Post
I have tinnitus caused by cervical spine C1 disc problems.I am young too and I too didnt get the tinnitus from loud sound ear damage.
Looks like I better do a full body check. Thanks man.
Old 30th April 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
A lot of health issues like this are inflammation related. I'm guessing there is a bigger picture here. An occipational hazard of being an audio engineer tends to be obesitity - lack of sleep - poor food choices - lack of Vitamin D .... generally a lack of money, which tends to mean poor nutrition ...

If you haven't done so already - start to explore the benefitis of super nutrition, good sleep, stop poisoning yourself ... it's a path you have to study to find what YOUR body needs ...
^ Yep.

re: inflammation. Cut out the wheat. Bread, pasta, cakes, etc.
Old 2nd May 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Midnight Oil Audio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
^ Yep.

re: inflammation. Cut out the wheat. Bread, pasta, cakes, etc.
Gluten?
Old 2nd May 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Old 2nd May 2017
  #9
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Hey guys, thanks for the tips. But I rarely include gluten in my diet if at all. I'll investigate further.
Old 18th June 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinamiChan View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the tips. But I rarely include gluten in my diet if at all. I'll investigate further.
Gluten does not cause inflammation unless you are celiac. We need to put this anti-gluten stupidity to bed. It's a good protein source and far preferable to animal protein in terms of inflammation.

Be careful trying to combat inflammation with meds as well. It's best to reduce your cortisol naturally.
Old 18th June 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Muser's Avatar
get a power blender and use it for fruit drinks and even vegetable drinks and as a soup maker. you can experiment with foods and also add vitamins. even if it doesn't work, you'll have covered some ground and had a good time doing it. it's not as if that one could loose either way.
Old 18th June 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Anxiety issues, welcome to the arts.
Old 18th June 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
Gluten does not cause inflammation unless you are celiac.

Yes it does. Even in people without celiac disease. Ever hear of NCGS? Start there.

It is NOT a good source of protein - I refuse to understand why people still believe that.

What we really need to do is get off of this gluten-free foods are often nutrient-deficient stupidity. Really? Is my wild rice nutrient-deficient? Is my broccoli nutrient-deficient? My carrots? I suppose if I eat a gluten-free dinner, which is a piece of salmon and a salad consisting of lettuce, spinach, kale, dandelion greens, red cabbage and alfalfa sprouts - I am eating a nutrient-deficient meal?

Gluten is unnecessary and bad for you. Specifically wheat. Do I need to get into why, and how the wheat we eat today is not the same as earlier generations? Get off of the gluten, and you will be healthier. It is not necessary from a nutrient and protein perspective; there are plenty of non-inflammatory foods that are better nutrition and protein sources.

Cheers.
Old 18th June 2017
  #14
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
Gluten does not cause inflammation unless you are celiac. We need to put this anti-gluten stupidity to bed. It's a good protein source and far preferable to animal protein in terms of inflammation.

Be careful trying to combat inflammation with meds as well. It's best to reduce your cortisol naturally.
Thanks. I've been seeing doctors for months and they still couldn't find the cause. And my T is getting worse. Now I can hear low-mid roar.
Old 18th June 2017
  #15
Lives for gear
Where exactly did I say your diet is nutrient-deficient?

There is so much misinformation about dietary trends. People feel subjectively better when they don't do X, so they become religiously convinced that no one should do X.
But sometimes X includes Z, something you're. It taking into account. In the case of NGCS, that something is short chain carbs that some find difficult to digest.
Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity May Not Exist | RealClearScience

But you do what makes you feel better.


In any case, OP is not suffering from bloating and gas. The likelihood that sudden onset tinnitus is caused by gluten is basically zero.

OP, my sympathies for your issue.
Have you gone through all the major causes (other than aging and sound-related damage)?

Over 200 drugs can cause tinnitus. Aspirin is a common culprit.

Issues with your jaw can be a cause.

How is your blood pressure? You can get a blood pressure cuff cheaply, and can test it at different times of day. High blood pressure is a common cause.

Do you drink? Alcohol damages every cell in the body, including the ones in your ears.

Have you been to a neurologist?

Anyway, just some thoughts. I wish you good luck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Yes it does. Even in people without celiac disease. Ever hear of NCGS? Start there.

It is NOT a good source of protein - I refuse to understand why people still believe that.

What we really need to do is get off of this gluten-free foods are often nutrient-deficient stupidity. Really? Is my wild rice nutrient-deficient? Is my broccoli nutrient-deficient? My carrots? I suppose if I eat a gluten-free dinner, which is a piece of salmon and a salad consisting of lettuce, spinach, kale, dandelion greens, red cabbage and alfalfa sprouts - I am eating a nutrient-deficient meal?

Gluten is unnecessary and bad for you. Specifically wheat. Do I need to get into why, and how the wheat we eat today is not the same as earlier generations? Get off of the gluten, and you will be healthier. It is not necessary from a nutrient and protein perspective; there are plenty of non-inflammatory foods that are better nutrition and protein sources.

Cheers.
Old 18th June 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinamiChan View Post
Hello guys.

I'm a working audio engineer and I just started for 2 years. I normally monitor my mixes at around 60-70dBa. I never go to concerts, but I do go to cinemas, with my earplugs inserted.

I have had tinnitus and 10dB of hearing loss for years. Was fine until this year, things getting worse real quick. Recently I went to my doctor and performed an audiogram test due to unbearable tinnitus in both ears. The test showed that my hearing loss was at 30dB, that's 10dB more since I last checked 4 months earlier. The tinnitus is also more than twice as loud. I can now easily hear it during daytime (40-50dB background noise). Mainly high pitched ringing, sounds like 4k-12k. I'm 22 this year.

Do you guys have this same problem? Is this normal and will it get worse over time? I know this is probably uncurable. Don't wanna lose my job
Are you enjoying the music you're being exposed to?
Old 18th June 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
You are in your twenties, don't listen at loud levels while engineering, wear earplugs to loud venues, but you have a 10 db hearing loss over four months? Apart from your tinnitus, a quick 10 db hearing loss for a person in their 20s is a serious, serious matter. It might be understandable if you had been operating a jackhammer without hearing protection for the same amount of time. That is a drop in hearing acuity that is orders of magnitude, since db is not a linear scale but a logarithmic scale. If audio is your primary moneymaking occupation, it is that much more of a crisis. You need to get back to your doctor and get a referral to someone very good in the specialty of hearing loss.
The advice so far is very well meant and may contain a remedy, but your symptoms are so dramatic and serious that you should get the best quality of professional diagnosis you can get.
Old 19th June 2017
  #18
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Are you enjoying the music you're being exposed to?
I think 50:50.
Old 19th June 2017
  #19
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
You are in your twenties, don't listen at loud levels while engineering, wear earplugs to loud venues, but you have a 10 db hearing loss over four months? Apart from your tinnitus, a quick 10 db hearing loss for a person in their 20s is a serious, serious matter. It might be understandable if you had been operating a jackhammer without hearing protection for the same amount of time. That is a drop in hearing acuity that is orders of magnitude, since db is not a linear scale but a logarithmic scale. If audio is your primary moneymaking occupation, it is that much more of a crisis. You need to get back to your doctor and get a referral to someone very good in the specialty of hearing loss.
The advice so far is very well meant and may contain a remedy, but your symptoms are so dramatic and serious that you should get the best quality of professional diagnosis you can get.
I'm planning to go to the best hospital in my country next month. Thank you for the info bro.
Old 19th June 2017
  #20
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinamiChan View Post
I think 50:50.
Personally, I would try to listen to sounds you don't like as quiet as possible!
Old 19th June 2017
  #21
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Personally, I would try to listen to sounds you don't like as quiet as possible!
Great point. I always take my earplugs with me.
Old 5th July 2017
  #22
Gear Addict
 

Please report back what you learn, as what they tell you could then influence future advice any of us gives based on your new info. I really wish you the best of luck.
Old 26th July 2017
  #23
Caffeine, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, can add to tinnitus,

I've heard some people can get it from neck problems,.. a Chiro might help if you have neck issues.


Regarding gluten here's a video showing what it actually is.

Pretty wild stuff.. I can see how for some people it doesn't digest well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDEcvSc2UKA
Old 26th July 2017
  #24
Gear Addict
 
Dan Popp's Avatar
I've often read that aspirin and other NSAIDs are ototoxic, but I haven't been able to discover how much of them you would have to take to damage your hearing system. I gather it would be quite a lot; well above the maximum recommended dosage over a long period of time. Let us know if you have better information.

MinamiChan: prayers, hope you can find some relief.
Old 26th July 2017
  #25
For me if I take Ibuprofen for back pain,.. my ears ring more..

If I stop taking Ibuprofen.. it reduces..

I don't believe it's permanent.
Old 29th July 2017
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perra View Post
For me if I take Ibuprofen for back pain,.. my ears ring more..

If I stop taking Ibuprofen.. it reduces..

I don't believe it's permanent.
Aspirin is permanent. My mom took a lot of aspirin in her 40s because of neck pain and ended up with permanent tinnitus.

I take aspirin for my heart, so it's a tradeoff. I'd rather have tinnitus than a heart attack. So far, so good. Sort of.
Old 13th October 2017
  #27
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Now my tinnitus has stablized and I'm kinda used to it. It's still loud but not that annoying anymore. The doctor couldn't find out why and my audiogram shows 15dB of hearing loss now (instead of 30)
Old 2 weeks ago
  #28
Meniere's Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinamiChan View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Now my tinnitus has stablized and I'm kinda used to it. It's still loud but not that annoying anymore. The doctor couldn't find out why and my audiogram shows 15dB of hearing loss now (instead of 30)
I would look into the possibility oh having the beginning stages of Meniere's Disease which starts with sudden changes in hearing and tinnitus varies over time. Sometimes it will go into remission for long periods of time and resurface years or months later.

You said you eyes were shaking, this is a sign of Vertigo which is another symptom with Meniere's (I have it by the way).
Maybe this isn't your situation, but if you are still scratching your head about what's going on, this could be what's going on.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #29
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Murder View Post
I would look into the possibility oh having the beginning stages of Meniere's Disease which starts with sudden changes in hearing and tinnitus varies over time. Sometimes it will go into remission for long periods of time and resurface years or months later.

You said you eyes were shaking, this is a sign of Vertigo which is another symptom with Meniere's (I have it by the way).
Maybe this isn't your situation, but if you are still scratching your head about what's going on, this could be what's going on.
Thank you for replying. Actually just this week my Tinnitus got worse than ever. Haven't tested my hearing yet.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #30
Lives for gear
Are you guys kidding me with this diet crap?! A young person experiencing a dramatic, acute change in any body function is indicative of a disease or disorder. Diet does not drastically affect people. Diet has long-term chronic effects, not instantaneous.

OP, dude, you have a disease. Whether it is caused by a pathogen, genetics, or environmental hazards is something you need to diagnose NOW. Not in a month, not in a week, but ASAP. You could have a rapid growth, malignant brain tumor that will suddenly metastasize into a blood-borne cancer. It could be a MRSA grade strepp infection that is scarring your mucous membranes and soft tissues while hardening your arteries, ready to cause a stroke the next time you climb a flight of stairs. It could be meningitis swelling the lining of your brain, putting pressure on your hearing processes. Or you could simply have a condition that's not too uncommon that causes you to secrete excess earwax, damping your eardrum like a blanket inside a kick drum.

One thing it definitely is not; related to your diet at age 22.

YOU HAVE A SERIOUS CONDITION THAT NEEDS IMMEDIATE HOSPITALIZATION THAT IS MOST LIKELY FATAL IF LEFT UNTREATED. BEST CASE YOU ARE GOING DEAF DUE TO GENETIC NERVE DEFORMATION; YES THAT'S YOUR BEST CASE SCENARIO IF LEAVING IT UNTREATED.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump