The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tinnitus success stories?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Tinnitus success stories?

The title may sound like a contradiction, but tinnitus and hearing problems pop up on the board once in a while. Most of the times these threads become negative and demoralizing.

It would be interesting to take a more positive approach to this.

Anyone out there who has overcome tinnitus and other hearing problems?
Any famous engineers who still manage well in spite of hearing problems?

As for myself, I got tinnitus in September and had a hard time dealing with it for a long time. However, I'm A LOT better now. The tinnitus has become lower, and what's left of it doesn't bother me.

Let's make this a positive and encouraging thread! I'm pretty sure there are people out there who need it.
:-)
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Good call Frequency.

State of mind got me through.

I learnt NOT to focus on it.

I would have gone postal otherwise.

The power of the mind is quite extraordinary.

Good luck camp.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

Ok, how bout Marcus Miller. He's deaf on his right ear! Hasn't really come in the way of his contribution to the music world.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Beethoven?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

i joined the tinnitus team when i was 16 years old.............there were times i thought i'd go nuts.....

i am turning 23 in two weeks, my tinnitus is still there but it's quieter now than it was then...........or at least thats what i think...........it doesn't bother me anymore........i just accepted it's presence and i quit smoking (weed)...........
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Been struggling with this as of late. Seems that left ear is infected. The doctors obvioulsy cannot tell if it is viral or bacterial. Basically the eardrum is not moving as much due to the amount of pressure caused by fluid build up (yum). I'm on antibiotics and nasonex.
Sounds like it will be a chronic problem brought on by my allergies. I'm twenty-five, never had allergies before, and now I'm just devastated when everything starts to bloom. Allergy medicine helps but it is rough.
I can get a fairly nasty ring going and there is a couple of db difference in hearing. I'm optimistic that the infection will sort itself and I won't be left with anything too serious. I don't think this is an unsurmountable obstacle for anyone. Just work with it and try not to obsess.
Old 9th May 2006
In my experience it is possible to forget about it...or at least focus so little attention on it that it goes away...sounds absurd but as someone else said the power of the mind is quite extraordinary. Just believe it without a doubt, or as some sci fi guy said..."make it so" good luck!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekolas
Been struggling with this as of late. Seems that left ear is infected. The doctors obvioulsy cannot tell if it is viral or bacterial. Basically the eardrum is not moving as much due to the amount of pressure caused by fluid build up (yum). I'm on antibiotics and nasonex.
Sounds like it will be a chronic problem brought on by my allergies. I'm twenty-five, never had allergies before, and now I'm just devastated when everything starts to bloom. Allergy medicine helps but it is rough.
I can get a fairly nasty ring going and there is a couple of db difference in hearing. I'm optimistic that the infection will sort itself and I won't be left with anything too serious. I don't think this is an unsurmountable obstacle for anyone. Just work with it and try not to obsess.

This stuff helps a lot with my allergies, & no side effects. It's basically a supplement of the enzymes that the body produces to break down histamine. They have another similar product called Cogaplex that's supposed to be good, I can't use it 'cause it contains some nut extract that I'm allergic to.

http://www.nationaldiscountvitamins....&Product_ID=17
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

I may have to check that out. I am using Allegra. It is good, little to no side effects.
Old 9th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eide
Ok, how bout Marcus Miller. He's deaf on his right ear! Hasn't really come in the way of his contribution to the music world.
As is a very prominent mastering engineer.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've had it non-stop for over 15 years. Strangely enough I woke up yesterday
with some mild virus (no energy, achey muscles) and had no ringing in my ears
all day. Well, i'm feeling better today - but the damn ringing is back.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Okay, not many success stories so far. I'll share one.

The wife of a friend of mine had tinnitus, but was cured completely through acupuncture.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Nice initiative Frequency, thanks! I'll try to contribute as well.

During the last days I have noticed that my ringing sound has been varying a lot, so I hope that's a sign of something positive. By placing the most quiet CPU cooler I've found in my main workstation I think my Tinnitus has become a little better, at least during the days. Besides this I try to stay as neutral as possible about this and try to think that the body can heal itself during the right circumstances. Lately I've tried to simply consume less sound each day by making decisions about it. I've also asked God to help me out with it. Besides this news I have got more news that give me more puzzle pieces about how I should deal with it. I recently noticed that my new 21" CRT monitor that I purchased right before I got into this third serious Tinnitus wave has a sound which is extremely high in frequency. There are two sounds, one low and one high, both are hard to hear due to the computer noise. When I remove the cable from the electricity outlet to shut it off it dissapears. In this way I can rest my ears more during the nights and hopefully get a better recovery. I have also limited the number of hours awake as well as have started to rest myself an additional hour each day during the day, just to get more overall rest. I think this strategy of eliminating overall daily sound consumption seems to affect my Tinnitus to some degree which gives me new hope.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

'' no flush'' niacin seems to cut it down ..try it
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi
i joined the tinnitus team when i was 16 years old.............there were times i thought i'd go nuts.....

i am turning 23 in two weeks, my tinnitus is still there but it's quieter now than it was then...........or at least thats what i think...........it doesn't bother me anymore........i just accepted it's presence and i quit smoking (weed)...........

Yep, weed makes it much much worse than normal.
Old 9th May 2006
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi

i am turning 23 in two weeks, my tinnitus is still there but it's quieter now than it was then...........or at least thats what i think...........it doesn't bother me anymore........
If you're like me it'll be not so much of a bother through your 30's and into your 40's... then in your early 40's, when you least expect it, it will not only be pretty painful to attend a rawk show without earplugs but you'll find that listening to your monitors at 50-60db is a real struggle due to the ringing.

Or maybe you'll actually be careful with your ears through your 20's and 30's... lay off "gak" and great big swimming pools full of whiskey and not have the same extent of annoyance I seem to have gained.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
'' no flush'' niacin seems to cut it down ..try it
Thanks for your help!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Had a horrible head cold, allergies, and then flew on an airplane... Gave me problems a few years back.

My audiologist put me on a regimen of Flonase and Niacin (non- time release, he wanted the flush) and I was back to normal inside of a month.

He explained that with cold/allergy based ringing, it is usually because of the Eustachian tubes from the sinus to the ears getting plugged. The flonase was to unplug everything and the Niacin’s flush means that it is restoring blood flow in the smallest blood vessels to fix any potential damage that may have happened.

--Ben
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahlad
In my experience it is possible to forget about it...or at least focus so little attention on it that it goes away...sounds absurd but as someone else said the power of the mind is quite extraordinary. Just believe it without a doubt, or as some sci fi guy said..."make it so" good luck!
I have had it for several years. Agree that the mind plays a big part. I was absolutely unaware of the ring today until I read the post title. Hello! I'm back!

Have to learn to ignore these posts as well.....

Maybe try acupuncture.....
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
If you're like me it'll be not so much of a bother through your 30's and into your 40's... then in your early 40's, when you least expect it, it will not only be pretty painful to attend a rawk show without earplugs but you'll find that listening to your monitors at 50-60db is a real struggle due to the ringing.

Early 40's??? Yikes, it going to get worse? I'm in my early 30's and I don't go in many public places without ear pugs. Too many years of a Marshall in one ear and loud rock drummers in the other.

As a success story, to stay on topic. Just being careful helps. And daily quiet (really, really quiet) time helps.

I never had much luck with the white noise treatments myself.

george
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

if you young and take precautions you can save your ears. That means take earplugs every place you go.There are loud noises everywhere.Always protect your ears when using machines big and small
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequency

The wife of a friend of mine had tinnitus, but was cured completely through acupuncture.
I didn't want to come across to negatively. What I should have added is that although i've tried a bunch of 'cures' over the years - and to no avail - if all the sudden, if for only one day, I had total relief - then maybe there is hope. I just need to figure out what caused it to go away for the day (without living the rest
of my life with flu symptoms). Until then I carry my earplugs with me pretty much
wherever I go.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher

Or maybe you'll actually be careful with your ears through your 20's and 30's... lay off "gak" and great big swimming pools full of whiskey and not have the same extent of annoyance I seem to have gained.

i have always been very careful with my ears..i am a drummer and i am used to wearing plugs in my ears.......my tinnitus was actully caused by stress......i participated in an exchange program.......visited the u.s. for a year..........horrible host family in the state of ohio......cancelled the sh$$t and went home after 1/2 a year with a ringing ear.........

cheers
Old 10th May 2006
SRR
Gear Maniac

I had it, but its 95% gone. How? The meds I am on. I am bipolar and I am on lots of meds, some of which can help tinnitus. Trileptal (its an anti-convulsant but in bipolars it functions as a mood stabilizer) and Zoloft I think are the ones that helped the most. The other drugs may have helped/helping as well. Good luck to those that have tinnitus!
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

I used to have moderate tinnitus. Due to health reasons (imparted to getting old), I have eliminated caffeine, wheat and dairy products and have reduced alcohol consumption. My tinnitus has been reduced substantially! I love scotch and beer and rock concerts. Maybe if I can completely eliminate them, it'll almost be gone...but then what will I have to live for? Maybe I can take up weed again. for joy!!!!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I had tinnitus really bad in my late teens.

Then I stopped playing music really loud and stopped listening through headphones and in a couple years it became pretty much nonexistent... I guess the body can heal itself if you give it a chance, at least maybe if you're young.

I'm almost thirty now and it's back (probably due to the studio environment), but almost nonexistent unless I concentrate on listening for it.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath
I have eliminated caffeine,

That one makes a noticeable difference for me.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
Had a horrible head cold, allergies, and then flew on an airplane... Gave me problems a few years back.

My audiologist put me on a regimen of Flonase and Niacin (non- time release, he wanted the flush) and I was back to normal inside of a month.

He explained that with cold/allergy based ringing, it is usually because of the Eustachian tubes from the sinus to the ears getting plugged. The flonase was to unplug everything and the Niacin’s flush means that it is restoring blood flow in the smallest blood vessels to fix any potential damage that may have happened.

--Ben

I also had allergies that were untreated.
One year my ears filled with fluid and the loud ringing started.
I went to the doctor completely freaked out and he put me on Flonase, Claritin, and Sudafed.
I was sure I had permanent tinnitus. I couldn't sleep it was so bad.
Well it took about 1-2 months to go away, but it did.
Ever since then I've been really careful with volume.
I also take Flonase daily when allergy season comes around.
Never had a problem again.

The weirdest part was although my ears were completely muffled and ringing during that time, I still aced the hearing test.

Last edited by Winey; 10th May 2006 at 03:27 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

One other thing my doctor told me, is that everyone has "tinnitus".

Nobody has complete silence in their ears. If you put anyone in a completely silent environment everyone will hear "tinnitus". I think that's a comforting thought.

And I even remember that I used to notice it when I would take a bath and have my head underwater. But it was never a problem.

The psychologic side of it is very important. If you become aware of it and scared and focus on it, it will become a problem. If you get to the point where you don't care about it and relax, it will obviously become less of a problem.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequency

ME TOO!!! last year I had a bad tinnitus , for 3-4 weeks all i did was seeing 1000000 doctors, got injections ,infusions .no help. I didn't sleep good one night over 3 week, HORROR.
than someone mention this doctorfrom china, I was willing to try anything including black voodoo at the time
after one acupuncture session the noise was still there but i was calmer and could sleep, after another 2-3 visits it was 90% gone and after all visits (around 15) it was cured heh
don't give up and very important, try to relax! today i know that for that reason my tinnitus was so bad was that i was nervous and could relax and sleep.
hope all of you will feel well

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search