The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tinnitus success stories? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 16th August 2015
  #151
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loomis View Post
If its any consolation, I'm 58 and have had tinnitus since my 20's. A lifetime of loud music no doubt caused my condition, but I'm certainly still able to function as a musician and engineer with the ringing being present. So there is definitely no need to despair. It seems that everyone responds differently to the various proposed treatments but, as mentioned, I get best results by just not focusing on it. Let it be.

Cheers,

Michael
This.
Old 14th April 2016
  #152
Lives for gear
 
Midnight Oil Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil Audio View Post


I was battling a real bad sinus cold last week, and after resting in my car at lunch I got out and immediately noticed the "fullness" feeling in my left ear, accompanied by the ringing of tinnitus. I saw an ENT doc two days later whom informed me that that ear has a bunch of impacted wax built up and is also infected. So I'm doing a round of amoxicillin for the infection and getting the impacted wax out this coming week (bull**** insurance has to "approve" the procedure before the doc can do it).

Here's hoping the tinnitus subsides once the wax is out and the infection is gone.
So, roughly 13 months later and the Tinnitus is still present. This sucks.
Old 21st April 2016
  #153
Here's an email I sent to a buddy of mine early this morning!....

Something crazy happened to me last night while I was editing some projects. I noticed that my tinnitus in my left ear, even though slight normally, started becoming markedly less apparent. Then, over a period of a few minutes, almost completely disappeared! This is the first time this has changed in three years, so it really took me by surprise. I had to stop what I was doing and just listen to the silence for a long time: Just sitting there with my IEMs in and nothing going through them.

Anyways, I started taking notes as to what, if anything, I had been doing differently with my diet. It's probably a combination of many things I've been doing the last year or so, but some things I've changed recently:

1. Down to one cup of coffee per day in the morning. I plan on eliminating it altogether. Went down to one about a week and a half ago.

2. About a week ago, started a cocktail of vitamins purchased at Costco; nothing radical. Per day: 2 Vitafusion MultiVites, 2 Vitafusion D3s, 2 Nature Made Energy B12s (these are 16,667% of your daily allowance - not a typo). All of these are gummies. Sometimes I'll take 1 or 2 Fiber Well gummies.

3. Yesterday, for the first time, I took these vitamins with me to work, and took them at about 9 am with a Fiber One bar.

4. Last evening, I finally changed the filters in my RO system that were WAY overdue. I also changed over the tank. There was a lot of sedament in the reservoirs, so the water is much cleaner now. About an hour before the editing session, I drank a glass of the new water (I let the tank fill up beforehand for a couple of hours).

Longterm stuff: I've been doing much more cardio over the last year than in the past (biking). This may be helping, but is taking a while?

Weird stuff: I was very tired yesterday and last night, which typically makes tinnitus worse for most people.

The tinnitus was still lower than normal this morning, but seems back up to where it was now. Maybe because of the caffeine intake.

Just thought you might be interested since you have tinnitus.

EDIT: Ringing is less this morning than in the last three years.
Old 21st April 2016
  #154
Lives for gear
 
rockreid's Avatar
 

6 months ago I got a nasty ear infection and my right ear drum burst. Painful as hell and a reminder not to put off going to the doctor next time my allergies flare up and cause upper sinus congestion. I have had tinnitus in my right ear ever since even though my ear drum had healed 2-3 months after the fact. To this day 6 months later I still have the constant ringing in my right ear but it may have lessened a bit gradually. I hope I am right and it continues to diminish over time. It no longer really bothers me at night so that is good, however I don't really know if this is due to my brain adjusting or actual healing is going on. Whether it is caused by nerve damage, cochlea damage, or other parts of the ear no one can really ascertain 100%. But I now have a much greater appreciation for my ears having been used to perfect hearing my whole life.
Old 21st April 2016
  #155
Gear Addict
 

My ears are currently blocked again. Allergies I guess. Back in 2014-2015 my left ear was blocked for 3 months. Left ear ruptured but didn't help. I was starting to accept I was probably deaf forever... (made my marriage better actually)
And then, after months I heard a bubbling popping noise, the pressure lessened and whoa! I could hear like 20dB more! All the subtle high end was back! Omg! It was great, but unfortunately my marriage suffered a little more after that.

Well, seems my marriage needs help again as last night was hell. Both ears were about to burst. Had to pop Tylenol. Wife was not happy she needed sleep lol... All I hear is my own breathing and some loud tinnitus in left ear.

Reading these comments now I'm thinking that tinnitus is caused by the tympanic muscle. It's just a hunch, but maybe the muscle is constricting like a bicep flexing, shaking like Stallone in Over the Top... Maybe that's already a theory and why they say stay off caffeine. Anyway, my tinnitus comes and goes. Just ignore it best you can and talk to a really good audiologist. Email the best in the world if you really want to.
Old 23rd April 2016
  #156
Gear Nut
Some tinnitus'es are somatic - mine is down to chronic sinusitis and neck-muscle tension. After surgery and doing some exercises, it's down 50% and still going. If your tinnitus gets louder with head or scalp-movement, you have a really good chance of getting rid of it again by doing neck-exercises. If it moves from ear-to-ear, that's also a tell-tale sign.
Exercise :
Stand up
Look slightly up a couple of degrees.
Relax bowel and let your jaw hang a bit
Pull/push your head back straight slowly as far as you can. Hold 5 secs.
Let got slowly
Look up at bit further.
Pull your head back straight slowly as far as you can. Hold 5 secs.
Continue untill you're looking up some 20 degrees.
Repeat multiple times a day.
Be gentle and don't rock your head back and forth in order to strech the muscles further.
I was helped a great deal by these physiotherapists (via skype) : YTS
If your tinnitus is hearing-loss related, I don't know wehter they can help.
Old 23rd April 2016
  #157
Lives for gear
 
Curve Dominant's Avatar
I like to think of my tinnitus as my 5Khz-buddy. It keeps me company wherever I go.

Last edited by Curve Dominant; 24th April 2016 at 12:23 AM..
Old 23rd April 2016
  #158
Gear Addict
 

Like above, basically accept it and don't focus on it, then its as if its not there. However I have found what aggravates it and try and keep to a minimum, for me these are.

1. Alcohol
2. Sleep Deprivation
3. Putting my finger in my ear to releive an itch
4. Coffee
5. Mixing loud for too long
Old 24th April 2016
  #159
Lives for gear
 
Curve Dominant's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by parthunter View Post
like above, basically accept it and don't focus on it, then its as if its not there. However i have found what aggravates it and try and keep to a minimum, for me these are.

1. Alcohol
You may stop right there, sir.
Old 24th April 2016
  #160
Lives for gear
 

BTW- western medicine does not really have any treatment for Tinnitus but Chinese medicine (acupuncture and medicinal herbs). There are a range of different causes and treatments. I found that herbs prescribed by a Chinese physician reduced it greatly

Also I have tried the method of listening to tones that are similar to the tones I hear ringing in my ear and it reduces the intensity when you stop
Old 24th April 2016
  #161
Lives for gear
 
Matt Nolan's Avatar
 

I got flamed the last time I posted this (can't remember if it was in this thread or not) but here it is again - another option to consider:

http://www.hushtinnitus.com/

I have no financial link to this, nor have I tried it - I am not a tinnitus sufferer. But, this is designed by a friend and ex-colleague of mine. Very smart guy, Electronic Engineering degree, Audio Tech patents, etc. So, I have reason to expect it to be good. If it helps some people for whom other approaches have failed then my job is done.

Cheers,
Matt.
Old 24th April 2016
  #162
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil Audio View Post
So, roughly 13 months later and the Tinnitus is still present. This sucks.
Don't I know it.

I got tinnitus about three years ago playing a gig where when I got there my gear was set up in front of the damn PA speaker.

Those "Natural sounds" videos on You Tube (some of them are 8 hours long or more), saved my sanity in the first weeks, gave me my first proper night's sleep.

Now most of the time it doesn't bother me excessively. I don't notice it when there's sufficient other sound around, and when I do it's just "one of those things".

BUT...

Sometimes I really miss enjoying silence. You know that feeling when you thought things were quiet, but then you shut off something, say the computer and the fan stops, and you're presented with REAL quiet, and it's so relaxing?

... I really miss that..
Old 24th April 2016
  #163
Lives for gear
 
Kimotei's Avatar
Ive had it for a bit over 10 years now. Rearly think about it anymore. The first couple of years it was a bit worrying. Now it can go weeks or even months between each time I think about it. Its like youve been to a club or concert the day before, only much lower, so ive come to think of it as just normal. If its really silent and im tired and im about to fall a sleep then I might notice it, but thats also a reminder that im going to fall asleep in a few seconds so its sort of a calming effect aswell.

I can bring it up to my attention if I want to though its not really usable. Its not in any clean key, its 3 tones and none in tune, othervice it could be used for "perfect pitch" sort of a built in tuner.
Old 24th April 2016
  #164
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nolan View Post
I got flamed the last time I posted this (can't remember if it was in this thread or not) but here it is again - another option to consider:

http://www.hushtinnitus.com/

I have no financial link to this, nor have I tried it - I am not a tinnitus sufferer. But, this is designed by a friend and ex-colleague of mine. Very smart guy, Electronic Engineering degree, Audio Tech patents, etc. So, I have reason to expect it to be good. If it helps some people for whom other approaches have failed then my job is done.

Cheers,
Matt.
throwing water on the flames.....it works for me
Old 24th April 2016
  #165
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nolan View Post
I got flamed the last time I posted this (can't remember if it was in this thread or not) but here it is again - another option to consider:

http://www.hushtinnitus.com/

I have no financial link to this, nor have I tried it - I am not a tinnitus sufferer. But, this is designed by a friend and ex-colleague of mine. Very smart guy, Electronic Engineering degree, Audio Tech patents, etc. So, I have reason to expect it to be good. If it helps some people for whom other approaches have failed then my job is done.

Cheers,
Matt.
I'm sure you mean well, but this is classic GS, at its worst. "I've never used X, have no earthly way of knowing whether X is any good, but I'm going to recommend it anyway".

Except this isn't D/A converters we're talking about, it's people's lives!

Here's the deal: tinnitus sufferers have long been the target for people selling spurious "scientifically proven" gadgets, gizmos and herbal 'remedies' offered over last decades. Most of the older ones had exactly zero scientific or medical basis for their claims; others, like your mate's, grossly overstate and misrepresent current research to make claims for their product that are, quite simply, without foundation.

The US Veterans' Association spends over a billion a year in tinntius-related compensation, and the American Tinnitus Association is crying out for Congress to make serious efforts to find a cure: https://www.ata.org/news/press-relea...tment-veterans. Either your friend - for only £19.99! - has succeeded where the VA, the ATA, the AMA, the BMA and every other medical and research body in the world has failed, and none of them got the memo, or your friend is full of it. (Spoiler: when the Munster study was first published, around 5 years ago, showing a modest reduction for some patients, it made national headlines. There was no memo; your friend is full of it.)

Here's why you got flamed:

Your mate's site is cashing in on the misery and desperation of people who suffer from this, and don't yet know that there is, still, no cure - nor anything approaching one. But so long as people are willing to drop £20 on a Hail Mary treatment, these sites will keep springing up to take their money. Tinnex. Tinnitus PhaseOut. All pseudo-scientific devices (some quite expensive) with not even a grain of truth to them.

Hushtinnitus, according to its own site, offers tracks "designed to instantly reduce or silence your tinnitus", which is an instant giveaway that this is NOT a legit offering. Speaking as someone who has researched this no end, including travelling to Germany to go to one of the leading tinnitus clinics in the world (one of the few places with a joined up psychological and medical approach to tinnitus), not to mention countless doctors and audiologists visits in London, and the UK's leading tinnitus pyschologist, I can state with 100% confidence that so far there has been nothing that "instantly reduces" much less "silences" tinnitus. NOTHING! Even the Munster studies - among the more promising developments in recent years - have only managed modest reduction, for some participants, over many hours of listening. Never 'silence' and never 'instant reduction'.

Go to the website of any recognised medical body in the world, and they'll say the same thing: as of 2016, there is nothing that has been shown to consistently reduce the sound of tinnitus, and nothing that has ever been shown - with any participants - to 'silence' it.

On other tinnitus forums, your mate's site has rightly been branded a 'scam'. "For most people with tinnitus, the right sort of sound reduces or stops their tinnitus for a period of time", he says. Again, nonsense. Not only does this not happen for 'most people', but nothing has been shown to 'stop' tinnitus for anyone. This is, to put it bluntly, a lie.

He may be your friend, but he has NOT discovered a cure for tinnitus, or a way to reduce its effects, and you are doing no one any favours by posting links to his site.

Sorry if that sounded harsh. But there should be a special place reserved in hell for people who flog things claiming to 'silence' tinnitus, or offer 'instant' relief. (Not for their mates who know no better though; I'm not blaming YOU!)
Old 25th April 2016
  #166
Lives for gear
 
Matt Nolan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
I'm sure you mean well, but this is classic GS, at its worst. "I've never used X, have no earthly way of knowing whether X is any good, but I'm going to recommend it anyway"

....

Sorry if that sounded harsh. But there should be a special place reserved in hell for people who flog things claiming to 'silence' tinnitus, or offer 'instant' relief. (Not for their mates who know no better though; I'm not blaming YOU!)
I appreciate your point of view and maybe Clyde's front page marketing is, like all marketing, somewhat over the top.

Deeper inside the site, he does state more soberly:

Quote:
Looking instead at published research, there are a number of reports of people who have experienced long-term increases in the duration of their residual inhibition. (This was after sustained or repeated listening to various masking/quieting sounds.) A number of these reports are from well-known tinnitus researchers. There are even a few cases reported of tinnitus going into complete remission. (For more details, please see page 9 of my document.) However, the proportion of people experiencing longer-term improvement is not clear in most of these publications – it may have been just a small proportion of the participants. Given the state of this research, I don’t primarily see the HushTinnitus system as being a therapy for bringing long-term reduction in tinnitus level. If any HushTinnitus users do experience any long-term improvement that they think is due to the system, then in line with the prior published research, I think it should be viewed as a “lucky bonus”.

Where I really see the benefit of the HushTinnitus system is in short-term relief, and also in its use as an aid to help people on the road to long-term habituation, as part of an approach like TRT. This is where I’m certain that the system helped me. There’s an abundance of evidence that most people with tinnitus have masking and residual inhibition responses, giving them a means for immediate short-term relief from tinnitus. The HushTinnitus system brings together custom-optimized forms of masking and quieting sounds, based on the published research. In terms of long-term effects, there’s also a body of evidence supporting habituation approaches like TRT. Conventionally, TRT uses masking sound, but there has been some discussion in the published research of using residual inhibition (in one form or other) in similar habituation approaches.
And he has a good literature review inside this document (get past the "in brief" part and you'll find all the references):

http://www.hushtinnitus.com/ri-outbo...s=136185184.56


This is going to make me sound so like a shill, but I'm really not one for snake oil and the product does have a "try before you buy" to see if it works for you or not. You are right though. I'm recommending something I know nothing about based on my own estimate of someones reputation. Like claiming people can hear way way ultrasonic because Rupert Neve says so. I just recommend it as something to try. Sorry if I cause offence.
Old 25th April 2016
  #167
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nolan View Post
And he has a good literature review inside this document (get past the "in brief" part and you'll find all the references):

http://www.hushtinnitus.com/ri-outbo...s=136185184.56
No offence caused (by you), and thanks for reacting so calmly!

My post/screed was aimed more at educating others, and making sure that no one was taken in by the spurious claims - and out-and-out misinformation - on your mate's site.

However, regarding the 'good literature review' linked to above, I do have to be rather blunt again. It's 100% pure astroturf (to put it politely), as indicated by the fact that:
(a) it's unpublished;
(b) it's not peer reviewed (because it's not an actual research paper, it's just existing stuff cobbled together, with lots of footnotes); and
(c) most tellingly, is on an 'external' site which exists for no other reason than to be a host for this 'paper'. The site was registered - surprise - on the same date as the hushtinnitus site, has no other content, and was plainly also created by your mate to add 'weight' to his claims.

So, maybe you didn't realise it, but there's no there there; it's all smoke and mirrors.
Old 26th April 2016
  #168
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
No offence caused (by you), and thanks for reacting so calmly!

My post/screed was aimed more at educating others, and making sure that no one was taken in by the spurious claims - and out-and-out misinformation - on your mate's site.

However, regarding the 'good literature review' linked to above, I do have to be rather blunt again. It's 100% pure astroturf (to put it politely), as indicated by the fact that:
(a) it's unpublished;
(b) it's not peer reviewed (because it's not an actual research paper, it's just existing stuff cobbled together, with lots of footnotes); and
(c) most tellingly, is on an 'external' site which exists for no other reason than to be a host for this 'paper'. The site was registered - surprise - on the same date as the hushtinnitus site, has no other content, and was plainly also created by your mate to add 'weight' to his claims.

So, maybe you didn't realise it, but there's no there there; it's all smoke and mirrors.
Yet, if you actually try the system it does exactly what he describes which is relieve tinnitus temporarily. I have used it many times when it's particularly bothering me and it always quiets down for a while.
Old 26th April 2016
  #169
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
No offence caused (by you), and thanks for reacting so calmly!

My post/screed was aimed more at educating others, and making sure that no one was taken in by the spurious claims - and out-and-out misinformation - on your mate's site.

However, regarding the 'good literature review' linked to above, I do have to be rather blunt again. It's 100% pure astroturf (to put it politely), as indicated by the fact that:
(a) it's unpublished;
(b) it's not peer reviewed (because it's not an actual research paper, it's just existing stuffh cobbled together, with lots of footnotes); and
(c) most tellingly, is on an 'external' site which exists for no other reason than to be a host for this 'paper'. The site was registered - surprise - on the same date as the hushtinnitus site, has no other content, and was plainly also created by your mate to add 'weight' to his claims.

So, maybe you didn't realise it, but there's no there there; it's all smoke and mirrors.
To be fair, it's not claiming to be a research paper, it includes extensive references for what he says (many of which would appear to be published papers in peer reviewed journals) so the reader can further investigate the validity of his statements, and he put his name on it. (It's the same name that's on the hushtinnitus contact page).

So he's not hiding that he wrote it, and he gives the reader the opportunity to verify if what he's written is bull**** or not.

The site is a marketing tool for sure (it pops up if you google "residual inhibition" which appears to be something about which there is quite a lot of discussion in the tinnitus community as a whole), but if "smoke and mirrors" was his intention, then he sucks at it.
Old 26th April 2016
  #170
Lives for gear
 

Not a success story yet,
but on the second day of my training with TeainYourEars EQ Edition 2, doing basic execises with pink noise, im able to recognize changes at 16K.

Nutrition is important, but generalising like coffee is bad, doesn´t help.

Home brew coffee without milk and sugar is one of the strongest natural antioxidants on the planet.
Old 26th April 2016
  #171
Lives for gear
 
Matt Nolan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
No offence caused (by you), and thanks for reacting so calmly!

My post/screed was aimed more at educating others, and making sure that no one was taken in by the spurious claims - and out-and-out misinformation - on your mate's site.

However, regarding the 'good literature review' linked to above, I do have to be rather blunt again. It's 100% pure astroturf (to put it politely), as indicated by the fact that:
(a) it's unpublished;
(b) it's not peer reviewed (because it's not an actual research paper, it's just existing stuff cobbled together, with lots of footnotes); and
(c) most tellingly, is on an 'external' site which exists for no other reason than to be a host for this 'paper'. The site was registered - surprise - on the same date as the hushtinnitus site, has no other content, and was plainly also created by your mate to add 'weight' to his claims.

So, maybe you didn't realise it, but there's no there there; it's all smoke and mirrors.
Maybe you thought that I thought it was something else. It was clear to me that this was Clyde's publication on Clyde's site, collating the references he used in his research. Nobody claims it to be a peer-reviewed journal-published paper. I thought it was a good review of the literature that supports his system for providing relief. Maybe I'm wrong and he's overly cherry-picked and there are a bazillion papers that contradict that he's left out. I don't know the breadth of the field. I haven't seen him for years. He could have turned into a scheming con artist, but I highly doubt it. At worst, he's suffering from confirmation bias and over-enthusiasm. Reserving a special place in hell for him is too much.
Old 12th May 2016
  #172
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hodgson View Post
Don't I know it.

I got tinnitus about three years ago playing a gig where when I got there my gear was set up in front of the damn PA speaker.

Those "Natural sounds" videos on You Tube (some of them are 8 hours long or more), saved my sanity in the first weeks, gave me my first proper night's sleep.

Now most of the time it doesn't bother me excessively. I don't notice it when there's sufficient other sound around, and when I do it's just "one of those things".

BUT...

Sometimes I really miss enjoying silence. You know that feeling when you thought things were quiet, but then you shut off something, say the computer and the fan stops, and you're presented with REAL quiet, and it's so relaxing?

... I really miss that..
It is really important to know that tinnitus is a symptom and not a disease. I was completely deaf in my right ear(just got the hearing aid adjustment last week). Anyone with tinnitus or any type of hearing loss should have a complete audiological evaluation by a qualified audiologist. Amplification or sound therapy might help for successfully managing Tinnitus.
Old 20th April 2017
  #173
Gear Nut
 

I'll have to read through this entire thread. My ears have been ringing since approximately 1980. They both ring, each at a different frequency. Lately they've been ringing unusually loud, and I get a cricket-like modulation now. That's new. I have been wearing custom-made earplugs for over a decade. Occasionally I'll play a guitar loud without earplugs, when I'm by myself. Not too often though. The current loudness and modulation of my tinnitis is very unpleasant, but it's all I know...
Old 25th April 2017
  #174
Gear Maniac
 
Scratchy Pots's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish View Post
Sounds like a Eustachian tube problem. Go see an ENT. That's something that can usually be solved.

Good luck.
Yes, though I had mild tinnitus and dull hearing, every once in a while, I'd yarn and my hearing would improve massively, after researching the subject, I came across Eustachian tube problems and this seemed to fit with what I was experiencing, then, I discovered the ear popper and I have to say, buying it was a God send, tinnitus is still there, but once I used the ear popper for a few weeks, my hearing as improved a lot, use it every day now, worth every penny I paid for it, I can only stress that, if you can pop your ears, then you won't need this device.
Old 8th May 2017
  #175
Gear Maniac
 
DaPhunk73's Avatar
 

About two years ago a suddenly got a pretty nasty attack of tinnitus, but was able to sort of cure it with a homeophatic remedy called cinchona off.
I could almost immedietely notice effect, and within a few months it was under control.
Might not work for everybody, but I am certain it played a role in my recovery.
Old 9th May 2017
  #176
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPhunk73 View Post
About two years ago a suddenly got a pretty nasty attack of tinnitus, but was able to sort of cure it with a homeophatic remedy called cinchona off.
I could almost immedietely notice effect, and within a few months it was under control.
Might not work for everybody, but I am certain it played a role in my recovery.
Respectfully, I'm going to have to rant for a bit. Apologies in advance - it's not directed at you, but I feel quite strongly about this subject (and, having been to leading clinics in both the UK and Muenster, speak with a fair bit of experience):

[RANT]
There are decades of research into this, continuous ongoing clinical trials around the world, and millions of people suffering from tinnitus. All this well-documented, widely-available research is absolutely conclusive: there is NO pill, powder or substance that has any effect on tinnitus symptoms. Caffeine does not make it worse. Herbal remedies do not make it better. (Technically, locally administered lidocaine briefly suppresses it for a few seconds. But ... well, that's not really germane.)

For decades there have been adverts in newspapers (back in the day), and then online, all advertising "cures" or "treatments", and the one thing they all have in common is: zero basis in science, zero basis in fact. One way or another, they prey on the desperation of people trying to cope with the symptoms of tinnitus to make a quick buck.

A fairly recent, outrageous example is an expensive electronic device which purports to phase-cancel tinnitus, by playing an out-of-phase note at the same pitch - which was advertised in the NYT a couple years ago. Not only does this, of course, not work at all, but with even a casual understanding of the science behind both tinnitus and phase cancellation, it is clear that the device could not, possibly, under any circumstances, work as advertised - because the tinnitus sound that we hear is not an external sound wave, but is generated by the brain itself. (A previous generation of devices purported to regenerate ... something, by playing a 20Hz tone through earphones. It was also full of s**t.) Nor, it should be noted, does the device even go through the pretense of, for instance, trying to establish what type of "waveform" this imaginary would take - so, at the very least, most GS would be too clued up to fall for this one!

Some people DO find their symptoms fading over time, and inevitably some of these people will have tried one or other of the "cures".

Some of the people who have got better after trying one of the "cures" will, naturally, think that the "cure" is the reason they got better. It is not. Study after study after study has shown this.

I'm sure the OP's experience was as he described it, but the cause-and-effect part of it is simply mistaken. (As mistaken as those parents who insist, in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that their child's autism was caused by a MMR vaccine.) Post hoc, ergo propter hoc - for any West Wing fans out there!

There are some well-documented programs for helping people manage their reaction to tinnitus, and technological advances (particular in the area of MRIs) mean that a cure is certainly much closer than it was 25 years ago.

But please, do NOT waste money on any supplement - as it only goes to support an industry that preys on the misery of others.

[/RANT]

(Little web-dev humour there.)
Old 9th May 2017
  #177
Gear Maniac
 
DaPhunk73's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Respectfully, I'm going to have to rant for a bit. Apologies in advance - it's not directed at you, but I feel quite strongly about this subject (and, having been to leading clinics in both the UK and Muenster, speak with a fair bit of experience):

[RANT]
There are decades of research into this, continuous ongoing clinical trials around the world, and millions of people suffering from tinnitus. All this well-documented, widely-available research is absolutely conclusive: there is NO pill, powder or substance that has any effect on tinnitus symptoms. Caffeine does not make it worse. Herbal remedies do not make it better. (Technically, locally administered lidocaine briefly suppresses it for a few seconds. But ... well, that's not really germane.)

For decades there have been adverts in newspapers (back in the day), and then online, all advertising "cures" or "treatments", and the one thing they all have in common is: zero basis in science, zero basis in fact. One way or another, they prey on the desperation of people trying to cope with the symptoms of tinnitus to make a quick buck.

A fairly recent, outrageous example is an expensive electronic device which purports to phase-cancel tinnitus, by playing an out-of-phase note at the same pitch - which was advertised in the NYT a couple years ago. Not only does this, of course, not work at all, but with even a casual understanding of the science behind both tinnitus and phase cancellation, it is clear that the device could not, possibly, under any circumstances, work as advertised - because the tinnitus sound that we hear is not an external sound wave, but is generated by the brain itself. (A previous generation of devices purported to regenerate ... something, by playing a 20Hz tone through earphones. It was also full of s**t.) Nor, it should be noted, does the device even go through the pretense of, for instance, trying to establish what type of "waveform" this imaginary would take - so, at the very least, most GS would be too clued up to fall for this one!

Some people DO find their symptoms fading over time, and inevitably some of these people will have tried one or other of the "cures".

Some of the people who have got better after trying one of the "cures" will, naturally, think that the "cure" is the reason they got better. It is not. Study after study after study has shown this.

I'm sure the OP's experience was as he described it, but the cause-and-effect part of it is simply mistaken. (As mistaken as those parents who insist, in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that their child's autism was caused by a MMR vaccine.) Post hoc, ergo propter hoc - for any West Wing fans out there!

There are some well-documented programs for helping people manage their reaction to tinnitus, and technological advances (particular in the area of MRIs) mean that a cure is certainly much closer than it was 25 years ago.

But please, do NOT waste money on any supplement - as it only goes to support an industry that preys on the misery of others.

[/RANT]

(Little web-dev humour there.)
No offence taken. I get your point. And, as you are implying, my tinnitus might have cured itself anyway. My tinnitus might not have been a real, chronic condition. There is no way to tell now.

The thing I can tell, though, is that, with homeopathy, when you start taking a remedy that is right for your condition, your symptoms get worse. And mine did. Immedietly. I am sure it somehow affected my condition.

The OP asked for succes stories, so I wanted to share mine.

Old 9th May 2017
  #178
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Don't want to raise false hopes, but this is a (free) technique that I've heard helps some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO47LIjhp34&t=188s

Old 9th May 2017
  #179
M32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Don't want to raise false hopes, but this is a (free) technique that I've heard helps some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO47LIjhp34&t=188s

Really? it seems like a combination of the placebo effect & the faith healer-style mentalism. When you have pain somewhere and you press, the pain seems less, because a pressure stimulus is superseding the pain signal in your nervous system. I gues this could work similarly. Admittedly the temporary relief can help mentally, just as touching a sore back gives you momentary relief. Interesting to hear about people's results.

I have some experience with this:
Years ago i was working at a university as a technician, doing mostly audio/teaching installations for language and realtime translator practices. I got feedback in one of these systems while trying to repair it, it was hugely complicated, each student booth had a lot of in and outs to communicate with eachother, hear the teacher , the other way around, etc. I'm pretty sure by now these things are done digitally. Anywho, i just yanked at cables until the screeching stopped. I then had the typical loud whine in my ears.

There is this theory that, to recover from loud noise, the best approach is to have absolute, silence, meaning earplugs in a quiet room, and making sure you're not brushing with your ears against the cushions while sleeping. By a factor of 10! This would mean a night of loud party music would require more then a few days of isolation, not a real feasible option.

However, i had nothing to lose, so i instantly put in the strongest earplugs i had, and i wore them for weeks. always. i thought i was going to go mad from the whine and getting really depressed. Luckily, the noise gradually subsided and is now gone. I do however have trouble discerning comnversations in crowded rooms a bit more, when i am tired i cannot stand loud and high pitched noises. Also when playing music, i notic my pitch-perception deteriorates quite quickly when spending longer periods in loud venues.

I tend to always have earplugs with me, and wear them on every public location/concert, even loud bars. The upside is, i had my hearing tested a while back, and i have no discernible dips. Also i can still hear quite high frequencies, more so then a lot of younger people i know who don't take as much care.

I think this technique might not work as well for damage done gradually by persistent noisy environments, but it helped me, and i think it might be a good tip for people with mild symptoms who might be working in the music industry/party world to prolong the quality of their hearing.
Old 9th May 2017
  #180
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Really? it seems like a combination of the placebo effect & the faith healer-style mentalism...
Maybe. And maybe not. There's a fast and easy way to find out.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Albert / Music Computers
13
RainbowStorm / So much gear, so little time
55
BevvyB / So much gear, so little time
14
BevvyB / So much gear, so little time
28
OzNimbus / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump