The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tinnitus success stories? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for everyone's input, it's quite reassuring to read.
I've had tinnitus for the past few weeks, induced by a series of Metal gigs in very small clubs. I wore my plugs as much as possible, but I was doing sound for one of the bands so I had to remove them at some points.
Anyway, so the ringing started a few days later. I'm sure my extreme state of fatigue and stress is not helping at all, I went straight on to 4 days of 16 hour studio sessions.
Now I'm moving out of my place and I'm even having a hard time packing, because of the hissing.
It was much better yesterday, but it's back today, and very much so.
I'm seeing an ear doctor tomorrow, I really hope it can be sorted as I also have some serious pain in my right ear. I'm hoping that maybe a wax plug or ear infection is making things worse...

I have a lot of very important gigs coming up, and I really don't want to have to stop doing my job, I've been working so hard for the last 6 years to get where I am today, and things are just starting to work out seriously!

I'll be looking into all possible remedies if it turns out to be "real" tinnitus, I mean not caused by an ear infection or something like that.
It's quite scary, but I have to say, reading you all has made me a little bit more prepared to face it all...

Crossing fingers now, thanks...
Old 2nd July 2009
Here for the gear

Antioxidants

I read a scientific paper a couple of years ago about the causes of hearing damage due to excessive sound levels. The subjects in the study were animals exposed to noise trauma corresponding to a close range jet engine. It turned out that the actual damage to the receptors in the ear occured during the week or so following the event of noise exposure. The cells in the inner ear were attacked by "free radicals" and the receptors "got stuck" in a firing position causing tinnitus. If they got stuck in an "off" position, the result would just be loss of hearing.
(Free radicals are the main general cause of cell damage and degradation in the body ).

The good news is that the free radicals can be neutralized by antioxidants. In the study, they found that hearing damage could be completely mitigated by administrating doses of vitamin A, C, E and Magnesium during the days following the "noise-event". The study pointed out soldiers, construction workers, musicians, race drivers etc. as targets for this kind of therapy.

So - if you get exposed to a lot of noise, start consuming antioxidants right away (if you are not into this habit already). If you have the option, start eating a day before the exposure. You have a couple of days until the damage is complete and then possibly permanent.

As you may know, the greatest sources of antioxidants are (in order of importance):
1. Dark Chocolate (cocoa beans)
2. Green or White tea
3. Red wine

Could be worse right ?

So - how much do you need to take ?

From another paper on antioxidants, a dose corresponding to 4 large cups of green tea has a lot of positive effects (also animal studies).
The safest bet is probably to take all three plus the A, C, E Vitamins etc. since they contain different types of agents.
Old 2nd July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
That one makes a noticeable difference for me.
definitely for me too. and chocolate. i can do without chocolate, but coffee? hard to do. I mix decaf and regular to cut down on caffeine.
Old 2nd July 2009
Here for the gear

remedy that works for me

I don't have bad tinnitis, I'm not even sure what I'm experiencing is tinnitis. Occasionally I'll get some high ringing tones that will kind of hit my inner ear and stay there. It happens very rarely though, fortunately.

What I've found is that if I use certain imagery I can most times eliminate the noise fairly quickly. As soon as it hits, I close my eyes and imagine a soundwave leaving my ear at the frequency of the ringing. I then imagine a sound wave entering my ear at the same frequency, but phase cancelling with the first wave.

As I manipulate this imagery, I can actually hear the sound amplitude rising and falling as I zero in on this frequency/phase. Soon, the noise is vastly decreased and the next thing I know it's pretty much gone. I then carry on with my day feeling much better.

I have no idea the basis for this 'technique' or what its rooted in (psychological I might guess) but our bodies do have an incredible ability to heal themselves if given the proper instructions.

Not sure if this will help anybody here, but I figure its worth sharing if I can improve somebody's life even 1%.
Old 2nd July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleach26 View Post
I don't have bad tinnitis, I'm not even sure what I'm experiencing is tinnitis. Occasionally I'll get some high ringing tones that will kind of hit my inner ear and stay there. It happens very rarely though, fortunately.

What I've found is that if I use certain imagery I can most times eliminate the noise fairly quickly. As soon as it hits, I close my eyes and imagine a soundwave leaving my ear at the frequency of the ringing. I then imagine a sound wave entering my ear at the same frequency, but phase cancelling with the first wave.

As I manipulate this imagery, I can actually hear the sound amplitude rising and falling as I zero in on this frequency/phase. Soon, the noise is vastly decreased and the next thing I know it's pretty much gone. I then carry on with my day feeling much better.

I have no idea the basis for this 'technique' or what its rooted in (psychological I might guess) but our bodies do have an incredible ability to heal themselves if given the proper instructions.

Not sure if this will help anybody here, but I figure its worth sharing if I can improve somebody's life even 1%.
and what planet do you hail from?

That's great you can do that, but with full blown tinnitus its pretty much not possible, I have tried many times using meditation.

A friend of mine has it much worse than I and said a half of a valium did the trick for a short while, but then he was not much into music then, so wtf!
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

If its any consolation, I'm 58 and have had tinnitus since my 20's. A lifetime of loud music no doubt caused my condition, but I'm certainly still able to function as a musician and engineer with the ringing being present. So there is definitely no need to despair. It seems that everyone responds differently to the various proposed treatments but, as mentioned, I get best results by just not focusing on it. Let it be.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

tinnitus sufferer myself, varying degrees of intensity.

a few months ago a client and friend of mine contacted me about tinnitus as he knew I had been researching treatment options. turns out his mother, just out of the blue, started getting nasty ringing in her ears. she was diagnosed with tinnitus. she's not even a musician, just one of those things.

I had forwarded her a link to this company (FDA-cleared) which I had discovered upon research:

Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment

she jumped right into the treatment and she said her problem is almost gone. apparently it had disappeared completely at the beginning of her treatment, but then slowly reappeared. they blamed it on her not following the treatment procedure exactly. anyway, now she's supposedly back on track and says the problem is much, much better.

I can't vouch for this as I haven't tried this sort of treatment, so I would say do your research. I can say, though, that I know firsthand that this treatment can work.

oh, btw, it's expensive.

oto
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Giving up 6+ espressos a day great toned down the tinnitus among improving other health issues.
I've found that there are many things that trigger my tinnitus to get louder, caffeine, alcohol, cigarette smoke, spicy foods, pharmaceuticals, chemical cleaning products, etc.

I've had it since I was about 16 but somehow I feel like I can hear better now in my advanced age than in my late teens early 20's.

The ringing never stops, but living in noisy NYC seems to mask it fairly well.
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

I've had it for five years now, pretty bad, all due loud music exposure. I can get it under control and minimize, sometimes eliminate it, by wearing earplugs in any situation that might aggravate it, keeping my alcohol and caffeine intake down, exercising and reducing stress. I work in a hospital that can get very busy and it's funny how in very stressful situations my ears will ring like crazy. Same as when I drink a few cups of coffee. Love the stuff, but not the ringing. One cup full power and the rest decaf.
I know of no cure and have researched it. The damage is done and there is no way to regenerate the damaged hairs. Birds can!! We can't.
Wear ear plugs.
Jonathan
Old 2nd July 2009
I Had tinitus about 3 yrs ago, after the initial panic I just tried not to focus on it, and after about a year managed to forget I "had it".... actually even listening for it now I dont notice it "let it be" is the right approach
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

I have tinnitus in both ears, have had it for a few years.
I only notice it in the dead of winter when there are no crickets,in summer I cant notice it even if I try over how loud crickets actually are.

Apart from that I've had my ears tested and can hear up to 23.5khz no problem (you'd be surprised at how many people can hear above 20khz).

So I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think there are a lot of top engineers who have "crappy" hearing and some damage but they probably don't even know it, in other words: it shouldn't make too big a difference, a crappy sounding mix will sound just as crap to the audiophile with golden ears as it will to the half deaf average joe on the street.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Head

My T decided to stick around about 3 years ago,and put me in a state of deep depression for about a year until i did a course of TRT ( tinnitus retraing therapy ). It wasn't just the ringing , but my hearing seemed altered and i was picking up strange frequencies and resonance from things like running taps and de-humidifiers. Yeah,it was a producers nightmare and it really hit me hard for a while. Stopped djing, couldnt make music, basically my life was on hold. However, I can happily say that now It almost a total non issue, I can go through most days without even hearing it, and the TRT really helped get rid of the hyperacusis which was causing the audio anomalies , and really sped up the habituation process. I also think that being a music maker is the best job to have if you get T, cos whilst in the studio its pretty hard to detect a silly little head noise when youve got so much other sounds going on.
ER25,s or 15's always in clubs,sensible levels in the studio, and good quality sleep usually seems to help. Dont believe anyone that says diet makes a difference, or redwine-coffee etc etc.load of cobblers...
Yeah I can hear it now sat in a quiet room, but it doesnt have any emotional impact whatsoever, and 3 years ago I would never have believed i could feel this way ever again. Happy days
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteposse View Post
I was going to start a new thread for this, but I figured I'd just tag it onto the end of a similar one. Very cool news story today re: progress with stem cells for treating hearing loss:

Research: Stem cells can help reverse hearing loss - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com
Research: Stem cells can help reverse hearing loss

There's a medical breakthrough for the deaf.

Scientists at United Kingdom's Sheffield University have created stem cells from embryos to replace damaged cells in the inner ear -- reversing hearing loss.

The embryonic stem cells could be converted into workable hearing cells for people born with inherited hearing problems and who've suffered damage to their ear cells during their lifetime, according to the scientists.

The breakthrough stem-cell discovery is "incredibly promising" and "opens up exciting possibilities," Dr. Ralph Holme, a biomedical researcher, told the British Broadcasting Corporation.

But the stem-cell research could be halted by critics who argue that the controversial process destroys embryos in the name of science - a debate that's raged since stem-cell studies began years ago.

Earlier this year, President Barack Obama lifted the ban on embryonic stem-cell research, reinforcing the science world's belief that studying embryonic cells is necessary for the development of new medical treatments.

This has already been done. I have a friend of mine that is an scientist/engineer at Mass Eye and Ear. In his lab a scientist regrew cochlear hair nerves 3 years ago in a mouse or whatever. The ring was eliminated I guess after comparing MRIs or whatever.

You can get a cochlear implant at Mass Eye and Ear that will get rid of the ring. It's 40 grand though. Insurance won't pay yet. That fat pig Rush Limbaugh has one. I wish he would just shut up but his implant obviously works he hears everything Obama says huh?

That loser Bush held this research back years all because of his phony religious right selfeshness.

In a few years this stuff could be FDA approved. So keep the faith and in the meantime turn down the volume
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

More Ideas

This video presents interesting solutions from Thomas Lang's experiences.

)))Drum Channel(((

Last edited by GrooveMerchant; 4th July 2009 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: Clarified info.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
Okay, not many success stories so far. I'll share one.

The wife of a friend of mine had tinnitus, but was cured completely through acupuncture.

my dad has it, and its almost gone now after a year or so of acupuncture
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post

You can get a cochlear implant at Mass Eye and Ear that will get rid of the ring. It's 40 grand though. Insurance won't pay yet
why should they pay if you f---ed them up all on your own. now blaming bush really makes censedfegad. your a genius
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

naaaaah, no problem with tinnitus here : I am deaf.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidorange View Post
why should they pay if you f---ed them up all on your own. now blaming bush really makes censedfegad. your a genius

In my case, I didn't f--k them up myself, I got T from something else, 'don't know what yet, but it would seem to be serious fatigue, stress, flying, an ear infection and a very bad cold all combined at the same time.

So if a cure is available, why shouldn't it be covered by health insurance. It's like saying, "Oh, health insurance won't cover your dental costs, you probably ate too many sweets as a kid".

And he didn't blame Bush, he just said that the research was stalled because of his personal views...

Let's not bring a positive thread down guys come on... This thread has been a BRIGHT LIGHT FOR ME!!!!

Old 6th July 2009
PDC
Lives for gear

I did not read the whole thread. I mixed FOH for a very loud singer/guitarist who had raging tinnitus only when he quit smoking pot. I confirmed this with a doctor. Smoking pot masks the side effects of nerve damage.
Old 6th July 2009
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valthesoundman View Post
In my case, I didn't f--k them up myself, I got T from something else, 'don't know what yet, but it would seem to be serious fatigue, stress, flying, an ear infection and a very bad cold all combined at the same time.

So if a cure is available, why shouldn't it be covered by health insurance. It's like saying, "Oh, health insurance won't cover your dental costs, you probably ate too many sweets as a kid".

And he didn't blame Bush, he just said that the research was stalled because of his personal views...

Let's not bring a positive thread down guys come on... This thread has been a BRIGHT LIGHT FOR ME!!!!

Health insurance doesn't cover dental. Dental must be purchased separately in most cases.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Oh yeah, sorry, 'does in France
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidorange View Post
What an ignorant statement.
Should the insurance also refuse to pay when you trip and break your foot? Afterall, if you're too dumb to walk, it's your own fault??! Should they also refuse to pay for heart surgery if it's the result of poor diet?
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post

You can get a cochlear implant at Mass Eye and Ear that will get rid of the ring. It's 40 grand though. Insurance won't pay yet.

Getting a cochlear implant to eliminate your tinnitus is like ripping out your eyeball and replacing it with a cheap black-and-white webcam to eliminate your need for reading glasses. Its for people who can't hear at all.

from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The implant gives recipients additional auditory information, which may include sound discrimination fine enough to understand speech in quiet environments. Post-implantation rehabilitative therapy is often critical to ensuring successful outcomes.
emphasis mine

IOW, you will need instruction and PRACTICE to even understand speech, never mind mix music.

Quote:
The operation also destroys any residual hearing the patient may have in the implanted ear; as a result, some doctors advise single-ear implantation, saving the other ear in case a biological treatment becomes available in the future.
emphasis and worried smiley mine

Plus there is no guarantee that the operation will not actually cause more tinnitus than it 'cures':

Quote:
the risks include skin infection, onset of tinnitus, damage to the vestibular system, and damage to facial nerves that can cause muscle weakness, impaired facial sensation, or, in the worst cases, disfiguring facial paralysis.
Quote:
That fat pig Rush Limbaugh has one.
I believe Junkie Limbaugh was stone cold Deaf due to his Oxycontin addiction. His money may buy him a lot of perks, but it's not like he is luxuriating in some Cochlear Implant Nirvana while the rest of us peons "struggle along" with our biological ears!

While it's great that people can share treatments that help their condition, I was a little concerned that a thread with the title "tinnitus success stories" might encourage young people to take risks with their hearing- if they thought they could "fix" it later.

It seems overall, however, that there are as many horror stories as success stories.
Old 18th July 2009
Lives for gear

I hear tones in my ears. 950 Hz, 5500 Hz, and 8000 Hz in the right ear, and just a touch at 8000 Hz in the left ear. It goes up and down but has been quite loud for about eight months now. Some serious neck and upper back massage has it going down a bit. It comes back in a few days. Probably tension in the neck has something to do with it. I've noticed it getting worse when I worry and watch the stock market charts.

My wife doesn't have tinnitus but she does get serious balance issues once in a while. Spinning room, nausea, that kind of thing. Same thing - a serious neck and upper back massage fixes it for another month and a half or two months.
Old 1st June 2010
Here for the gear

arrgggg

I've had ringing in my ears for a couple of years. It has gotten much worse and now have dips at 4-8k. As a responsible recording engineer, I realized I could no longer trust my recordings or mixes so i quit the biz from that side.
I don't care how many other engineers "make do" or "fake it" but i cannot in good faith continue mixing for my clients.

Protect your ears at all times. I regret some of those loud concerts i attended at a younger age and living in the city my whole life.
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear Nut

When I was 9, my friend and I were in the back of her mums van 'popping our ears' (blowing into your blocked nose after swimming etc). I did it and a huge amount of pain flew through my ears. The pain was combined with a deafening ring - I could barely hear myself crying.

I though I'd made myself deaf. Had to deal with the pain and ringing for a week before I ended up in hospital.

It turns out my adenoids were faulty, and they weren't draining the liquid from my ears, at all. So when I popped my ears, I'd effectively upset all the liquid and it was like a huge air bubble or something had formed (I can't remember specifics!)

Anyway, the docs removed my adenoids and I woke up spewing blood. Apparently I was meant to be left with hearing damage but I must be one lucky dude because, as far as I'm aware, the very, very occasional ringing and mild deafness that pops up once in a blue moon, for mere seconds, is caused by being a fan of rock music and its inherent lifestyle
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

It was rearing it's head, but switched my monitoring routine...and mix low now.

Sounds like snake oil, but I started taking magnesium suppliments...and the ringing stopped dead in it's tracks. I can see how smoking/caffiene can be bad since they both interact with magnesium. I smoke, and drink enough caffeine in a day to kill a rhino.
Old 13th July 2010
Here for the gear

I'm currently undergoing expensive Tinnitus Retraining Therapy, and I would love to share some of what I am learning.

The FIRST thing my doctor -- a world-renowned hyperacusis / tinnitus specialist who has published extensively on the subject and helped hundreds of patients -- told me to was to stop "monitoring" my tinnitus. I.e., seeing if it was there or not.

It's monitoring -- and giving "energy" -- to tinnitus that actually perpetuates the symptoms. Stress and attention to the phenomenon actually reinforces the warped neurophysiology of the ear that's _causing_ the tinnitus.

Tinnitus is a complicated phenomenon, as it involves psychology as well as neurophysiology. A number of factors have to come together, from stress to ear irritation, to cause it.

I encourage everyone to Google and read the article "Tinnitus Retraining Therapy From The Jastreboff Model" by Jonathan Hazell, which my doctor has asked me to read 3 times. If you can find it online, it's only a 5 page article. Try to find a qualified audiologist who can help you, but you can actually do quite a lot on your own.

Just remember: The bigger of a deal you make it, the bigger deal it will be. Not just psychologically, but in terms of actual neurophysiology. But of course it's easy to _say_ that; with a little professional guidance or diligence many patients have recovered.

In short, when you stop "scanning" for it -- by putting it out of your mind -- eventually (not immediately, but over months) your body will stop looking for it, too. And the ear will actually rewire itself to ignore it, either wholly or partially.

(Obviously, in the absence of sound exposure or stress, the first step is to see an ENT to be certain there are no other physiological causes.)

(p.s. Please note this will be my last "word" on the subject; part of therapy is to not think, write or talk about it! But I just had to share, because I know how important a subject this is.)
Old 14th July 2010
Gear Addict

I thought it was a permanent deal no? I've been playing drums for hours a day for 20+ years, wore earplugs since day one. I never noticed any ringing until I started sitting in front of the studio monitors for hours a day, not blaring, just loud enough. Did I just never notice it before or has my **** gone to **** faster with studio monitors than with drums?
Old 14th July 2010
Lives for gear

My ear problems started about 10 years ago after a miserable plane flight. A week later I got up from the breakfast table and stumbled a little. Didn't think anything of it. Two hours later the room was spinning and I had to keep my head wedged between 2 pillows because if I even moved it a little I would violently vomit. I was away on business but had a cab take me to the hospital where the doctor diagnosed it as fluid in the middle ear etc.
It was a very, very slow recovery and even to this day if my eyes don't see a change in the scenery, I lose my balance like when you dream you are falling. Anyway, about two years ago the tinnitus started in both ears. About 8k or so and it comes and goes with changes in the weather or stress. I agree with thesaint77 in that stress, thinking about it definitely brings it on. I've learned to block it out, mostly, but when weather is going from bad to good, or good to bad, I can tell at least 2 days in advance. For me, I think it was a combination of the plane flight and years of playing keyboards in live bands that did it even though I tried to protect my ears. I'm hoping some of the research which is looking very promising will come along soon because I suspect with the iPod generation, this is going to reach epidemic proportions in the not so distant future.
I'm 50yo FWIW.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search