The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone on Wellbutrin? I am worried about tinnitus
Old 1st April 2011
Gear Maniac

Anyone on Wellbutrin? I am worried about tinnitus

There are lot of discussions about this on net but I would like to hear from people whos ears are tools for work.

I read some "horror stories" about people developing tinnitus while on Wellbutrin and tinnitus was not gone even long after discontinuation, so maybe it can be considered permanent.

I started taking it recently and my pre-existing low level tinnitus has gained in volume. During the first 3 days at 150mg dose, I noticed some pressure on ears, but not louder tinnitus. On the 4th day, I upped the dose (doctor's instructions) to 300mg and tinnitus immediately intensified.
My tinnitus is not horrible, but it is bad enough for us, audio guys.

This intensified tinnitus (or onset) with upping the dose is mentioned lot of times on other forums... not so uncommon then.

SO, if anyone used it , what is your experiences?

I dont know, will this side effect stop while i continue to take medication and my body adjusts over time or I should be worried about possible permanent tinnitus? Or, at least take a half of dose (150mg), since that didnt caused louder tinnitus?

The problem is, there is no official claims that Wellbutrin is causing permanent hearing problems, just that tinnitus can be side effect. So, I dont know, am I taking a risk or not, since all that long-term problems I know of, I read about it in posts on various forums. How often are these cases, I dont know... SO, if you now something about that, please let me know.
Thanx in advance
Old 1st April 2011
Gear Head

using it for what purpose? Depression? ADHD? Quit smoking?
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

was on it for a while. I think it is a very rare side effect. I don't think it is permanent either.
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Brad View Post
was on it for a while. I think it is a very rare side effect. I don't think it is permanent either.
Well, I hoped that is rare side effect also. But my tinnitus became louder and from what I read in medication guide, its not so rare... OK, If its not permanent ... still; I dont know will it resolve by time... I think I shouldnt take something that needs 2-3 months for tinnintus to subside... And the problem is I DONT HAVE A CLUE how much time it takes... And, probably, its lot easier to quit now after 9 days then 2-3 months later...
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolique View Post
Well, I hoped that is rare side effect also. But my tinnitus became louder and from what I read in medication guide, its not so rare... OK, If its not permanent ... still; I dont know will it resolve by time... I think I shouldnt take something that needs 2-3 months for tinnintus to subside... And the problem is I DONT HAVE A CLUE how much time it takes... And, probably, its lot easier to quit now after 9 days then 2-3 months later...
any reason why you are going for the wellbutrin ? It is rather a one of the medications you try when nothing else works. I suppose there is the smoking thing but honestly, I would just go with the patch. The good side , well at least in the beginning is that it increases dopamine unlike SSRI's so you will lose weight and your sex drive won't die.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappuCCino View Post
using it for what purpose? Depression? ADHD? Quit smoking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Brad View Post
any reason why you are going for the wellbutrin ? It is rather a one of the medications you try when nothing else works. I suppose there is the smoking thing but honestly, I would just go with the patch. The good side , well at least in the beginning is that it increases dopamine unlike SSRI's so you will lose weight and your sex drive won't die.

Does it matter why? Seriously? He's taking it for some reason that he feels is obviously needed, so asking to reveal anything with regard to his personal medical history isn't really appropriate, especially in THIS forum.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

I had the 1 in 10,00 side effect which made me homicidal. I was taking it for a personality disorder. Asshole syndrome. I woke up one morning and planned to killing everyone around me. A friend got me back on track and the meds were tossed. I never thought about the hearing issue.
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz View Post
Does it matter why? Seriously? He's taking it for some reason that he feels is obviously needed, so asking to reveal anything with regard to his personal medical history isn't really appropriate, especially in THIS forum.
Perhaps there is no need. Psychiatrists range from ok to awful and prescribe the wrong order of medication all the time. If he is so concerned about his ears, I don't see any reason to use wellbutrin unless you've already explored the more conventional ssris. If you smoke, get a patch. Taking anti depressants just isn't worth it unless you really need it.

He can share if he wants. And I will ask if I want.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Have you guys ever noticed that the doctor leaves the room for a few minutes after discussing you problem? He goes into a private room and spins a big wheel which tells him whats wrong with you. Then he spins another one to determine what meds you gotta be on.
Old 20th December 2015
Here for the gear

My tinnitus was caused by wellbutrin and after 5 years of not taking it, it's pretty clear it's permanent. i had no tinnitus before taking it. the side effect happened immediately and when it had not subsided after a few months, i got worried and stopped taking it. the intensity of the ringing hasn't subsided any. and it's 24/7.
Old 20th December 2015
Lives for gear
I heard some doctor on talk radio this morning that tinnitus was irreversible. So even if you get off the meds it may be there forever. So I'll just wish you to be the exception as ears are our tools. I agree that the reason for using it is personal unless the OP wishes to disclose.
Old 20th December 2015
Gear Addict

I wouldn't take anything that was known to cause tinnitus. I already have it, quite loud and high pitched, and I the last thing I'd want to do is potentially make it worse.

It's weird though, my perception of my tinnitus goes through a familiar cycle. On the whole I'm completely OK with it, even lying in a quiet room at night with nothing to distract me. I can focus on it quite sharply and think "meh." And when I'm not focusing on it I don't notice it at all. However every few years I go through this little crisis which lasts a week or two when it really freaks me out and I start Googling the subject obsessively. And then one day, as quickly as the crisis started, it leaves me again.

I agree with those who are urging the OP to seek alternatives. Why risk it?
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear
If it's causing you tinnitus, that's all you need to know. You will need to seriously consider changing meds, and fast before it becomes worse.
The doctor can't make that decision for you. They make their money either way, no matter how much you suffer. And tinnitus causes mental health problems too as you know.

If it were me, I'd try some other anti-depressant. My hearing and sanity is too important for me to ignore.
Old 21st December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsandifer View Post
Have you guys ever noticed that the doctor leaves the room for a few minutes after discussing you problem? He goes into a private room and spins a big wheel which tells him whats wrong with you. Then he spins another one to determine what meds you gotta be on.
I always thought that the doctor, when he left the room, was going on WebMD to check to see what your synonyms meant and what was the best medicine to prescribe. <GRIN>
Old 21st December 2015
Gear Guru

I only notice my tinnitus when other people talk about it. Thanks, guys! :-)
Old 21st December 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I only notice my tinnitus when other people talk about it. Thanks, guys! :-)

I'm exactly the same. LOL.
Old 27th December 2015
Lives for gear

All drugs have side effects. You need to figure out the risk to reward ratio.

IF your on WB for SAD try using high quality Vitamin D or get injections.

If your on it for Dep then sadly that is a side effect of working with music. The only cure is to make more music.

Ask your Doctor to prescribe you Omnisphere instead. LOL
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Soooo, It is definitely NOT uncommon like people say it is. It is a rather large population that is affected by Welbutrin. It is an ototoxin which means that it can definitely damage your hearing. I've been weening off of my welbutrin because when I went to the pharmacy, the manufacturer was different to which they assured me that nothing would change. So I finished that one off and when I went back in, they had the orginial stuff I was on- Well that triggered ALL of the side effects you can possibly get. Loud ringing in the ears was one of them, and it has not stopped. This is a super anxiety inducing period because well, you are weening off of a medication that requires weening...and a side of effect of weening off is anxiety, then you also have this buzzing in your ear that you can't get a bloody break from. Needless to say, I definitely felt like bullet to the head was better than listening to this **** everyday. but after trolling on the internet for about a month and figuring out everything that has worked....here is what has lowered my tinnitus from a 7 to a 5 and now a 2 and sometimes it goes back up to a 4.......
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Welbutrin/Bupropion and Tinnitus

Continuing my post below: As a musician, tinnitus is the worst. but heres the thing...I went to my ENT and i have zero hearing damage. SO WHATS UP

If you smoke a Vape- there are tons of forums on Vaping that cause tinnitus.
If you're on Wellbutrin or an SSRI or anything else, and a vape: STOP VAPING…and stop welbutrin....stop BOTH....
That’s a double whammy on your ears…

Here is what is helping me, though it may still be permanent...
Taking magnesium (Buy the stuff called “calm” it’s a powder you put in your water) helps reduce anxiety and I swear the symptoms…. Vitamin D, B12’s and Riboflavins (or find a b12 that has riboflavins) Really help cut down the intensity even if it's just by 1 level I will take it….

ACUPUNCTURE- I found a lot of people able to get some level of relief from acupuncture, and it worked a little bit for me….I cut my vaping down by 90% and started going to acupuncture…My first session it went from a 7 to a 4 and sometimes even a 2. I could finally sleep. The buzzing at night when its quiet still triggers anxiety with me and I hope with time it will just subside or I'll get used to it. But I noticed that it seems a little less and less. Like sometimes I have a subtle break where it isn’t intruding my world. I still hear it at night when its quiet and I have no distractions….

But Like someone said below this- I go through cycles where I am fine with it…and then I'm just suddenly not and panic….Im on month two of no Wellbutrin, day three of no Vape, and day two of no coffee (only green tea)....and I have an acupuncture session this week. Ill let you know how it goes. Stay active too! exercise is key

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search