The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What frequency range can you hear?
Old 3rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
Really depends on the volume and going to YouTube ain't gonna do it. Might want to post up your medical transcript for this rather than computer results with the volume on 10.
Was that in response to my post? Not following. I just used a sine wave generator at a fixed comfortable volume—not on 10—and swept the frequency from 0 to 20k, listening on nice headphones connected to RME Fireface UFX.

I've never actually had my hearing professionally tested, but as far as frequency range goes I think my basic test should be a good enough gauge.
Old 7th December 2019
Here for the gear
With the sine wave generator in Audacity mine drops off around 15.3KHz. So not great for my age (in my 20s).

I do need to give it a try with some other headphones/speakers at some point, since I've only tested it with Sennheiser HD25s (which iirc do drop off sharply at 15K) and Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf speakers, which iirc also start dropping around that point, but I'm pretty sure it is just my hearing, and not the fault of equipment.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeshiftApe View Post
With the sine wave generator in Audacity mine drops off around 15.3KHz. So not great for my age (in my 20s).

I do need to give it a try with some other headphones/speakers at some point, since I've only tested it with Sennheiser HD25s (which iirc do drop off sharply at 15K) and Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf speakers, which iirc also start dropping around that point, but I'm pretty sure it is just my hearing, and not the fault of equipment.
I saw a hearing test on Youtube and it's not a sine wave sweep, instead the audiometrist pushes a button when he/she wants to play a tone at a specific frequency, therefore it may be easier for the subject to hear higher frequencies than just playing a sine sweep (because the difference between silence and not silence is more noticeable). I think a good test would be to set up a simple synth in your DAW playing a sine wave with a fast attack and release (just fast enough to prevent audible clicks and pops), and ask a friend or relative to be the audiometrist. Then they play the sound at random intervals and you raise your hand to let them know when you hear it, and they record whether you responded or not. This way there is no bias, because if you are both the subject and the audiometrist its easier to overestimate your hearing abilities.
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp audio View Post
Just curious as to how significant people's hearing range is concerning production flavors, or if it factors in at all.
From what I've observed, dog-whistle hearing is a curse, not a benefit. Some people claim to have it and I suspect they're liars. With a couple others I know, they've definitely got an extended upper range but they simply don't hear the same way most of the rest of us do, and as a result they can't make recordings and mixes that the rest of us will like.
Old 7th December 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I saw a hearing test on Youtube and it's not a sine wave sweep, instead the audiometrist pushes a button when he/she wants to play a tone at a specific frequency, therefore it may be easier for the subject to hear higher frequencies than just playing a sine sweep (because the difference between silence and not silence is more noticeable). I think a good test would be to set up a simple synth in your DAW playing a sine wave with a fast attack and release (just fast enough to prevent audible clicks and pops), and ask a friend or relative to be the audiometrist. Then they play the sound at random intervals and you raise your hand to let them know when you hear it, and they record whether you responded or not. This way there is no bias, because if you are both the subject and the audiometrist its easier to overestimate your hearing abilities.
Yeah I don’t think a sweep is the best way either. Rather than a sweep I just used Audacity’s time generator, and would set it to generate 20k, then 19k and so on and listen to them one by one until I could hear it (15k). Then I went up from 15k by 100hz at a time. Got to 15300 and then couldn’t hear 15400. So left it at that.
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeshiftApe View Post
Yeah I don’t think a sweep is the best way either. Rather than a sweep I just used Audacity’s time generator, and would set it to generate 20k, then 19k and so on and listen to them one by one until I could hear it (15k). Then I went up from 15k by 100hz at a time. Got to 15300 and then couldn’t hear 15400. So left it at that.
That's a good solution too, will try it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

On a good day 25hz-15khz, on a bad day 60hz to 12khz. I have sinus issues which block my ear tubes. Things get sharp and bright quickly, sometimes painfully bright.

I wish I was 20 years younger
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Was that in response to my post? Not following. I just used a sine wave generator at a fixed comfortable volume—not on 10—and swept the frequency from 0 to 20k, listening on nice headphones connected to RME Fireface UFX.

I've never actually had my hearing professionally tested, but as far as frequency range goes I think my basic test should be a good enough gauge.
Sorry - no, that was in general. Wasn't pointing you out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's kinda scary looking too deep... I have a bit of a dip in my right ear at around 9.5 kHz, on top of the slight hearing range reduction. I wonder if people like Dave Pensando have "golden ears" at their age. Maybe it's not that big a deal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search