The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I went to the doctor to have him clean out my ear...
Old 13th October 2009
  #1
I went to the doctor to have him clean out my ear...

So two weeks ago I started having a plugged feeling in my right ear. I tried cleaning it with a q-tip and it didn't help. A couple days later I woke up and my ear felt completely plugged. I went to an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor) and I picked this guy (let's call him Dr. Jaggoff) because he was in my insurance network. So Dr. Jaggoff takes a look in my right ear and says (in his asian indian accent), "Oh my friend you have some some ear wax build up in there and I have to clean it out." So he put some hydrogen peroxide into my ear and then he uses some vacuum machine and starts sucking it out. I start feeling like the plugged feeling I came in for is gone. Well all is fine until he starts really vacuuming deep in there and all the sudden it becomes really painful and loud. It felt like the vacuum device was right against my ear drum and it was sucking right against it. The pain was excruciating and I actually yelled in pain. He said "oh you have to be careful because I can hurt you" and I said "is this supposed to be hurting this much?" and he responds "sometimes."

So the procedure is done, my ear is throbbing in pain, and I can't hear that well out of my right ear now. I tell this to the doctor and he looks in my ear with a microscope and says "oh... it looks like you have a tear in your ear drum"... he leaves the office room for... one hour and fifteen minutes. I actually went to the nurse and asked where the doctor was and she says she is sorry and looks for the doctor... he comes in and seems surprised like he forgot I was there. WTF?!

He then has me take a hearing test and I can hear 10+ dB (250 - 8KHz) in my left ear and 20+ dB across the frequency range in my right ear. So my hearing is 10 dB worse in my right ear. He tells me that my ear should heal in a month.

I left the doctor's office pissed off and annoyed about my ear and in pain. I called up another ENT and scheduled an appointment. A couple days later I saw him and he checked my ear with a microscope. He side there is a hole in my right ear drum that covers about 20 percent of the ear drum. This doctor seemed a lot more knowledgeable and he seemed to actually care about my well being unlike Dr. Jaggoff. So a doctor takes me into a room with acoustic paneling on all of the walls and and they run a series of tests on my ears. Results show I have lost about 30 percent of the hearing in my right ear. The doctor says there is a 90 percent chance it will heal on it's own in the next six weeks. If it doesn't improve or heal then I will need surgery.

So now my right ear bleeds at times and has a clear or bloody fluid coming out of it when I sleep. I have a white noise sound in my ear and half of my head hurts almost constantly. I have to keep water out of my ear when I shower. You know how you cover your ear and talk you can hear your voice as if it is in your head? Well that's the way it is for me but I don't have to cover my ear to get the effect.

This really sucks and I just want everyone to be careful with their ears. I don't think I will ever use q-tips again because of their ability to push wax deeper into the ear canal and just cause problems.

Also now I'm having a medical malpractice lawyer look into this to see if I have a case so I can file a claim against Dr. Jaggoff for damaging my ear drum.
Old 13th October 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Darwin James's Avatar
 

Sorry to hear (no pun intended), hope you recover fully.
Old 13th October 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Damn, so sorry to hear that man. I know that shyt was painful as hell. I just got out the ER the other day for stomach pain and it took forever. The morphine they gave me didn't do shyt. Seems like that asshole doctor you had was in a rush and didn't take his time. Make him pay for that so that next time, he'll be more careful. That was a serious fuk up.
Old 13th October 2009
  #4
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond View Post
This really sucks and I just want everyone to be careful with their ears. I don't think I will ever use q-tips again because of their ability to push wax deeper into the ear canal and just cause problems.

Also now I'm having a medical malpractice lawyer look into this to see if I have a case so I can file a claim against Dr. Jaggoff for damaging my ear drum.
Yes. One should be very careful with Qtips.

Hopefully the lawyer can take care of you, but nothing can "fix" the damage other than time and hopefully some good luck. Just another reminder to the rest of us that doctors often don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. I hope your ear heals completely and you get compensated for what is obviously a very serious and stressful situation. thumbsupthumbsup Good luck!
Old 13th October 2009
  #5
Gear Addict
 
barbital's Avatar
 

A doctor used a syringe to clean out my ears a few years ago. I had to use EarClear (a wax removal, it was an oily substance, and I had to put it in my ears for a couple of days for it to work). My ears have been trouble-free since.

But since then I've been developing these tiny 'floaties' in my left eye's field of vision. They're like tiny black blurry spots, annoying nonetheless. I started with one and now 5 years later there are four of them. Occasionally every now and again I get a tiny twinkle in my left eye's field of vision, it's like a tiny star that flashes once and then disappears, only lasts a mere fraction of a second. Intriguing. Not sure what that means. Would love to find out.

Ben
Old 13th October 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 

all the best to you!

i use ear-oil. warm it with my hands, drop it in one ear when laying on the side, let it stay for 15 minutes and wash it softly out. then i do the other side.

this works fine, doesn´t cost much and is sensitive to your ears.
Old 13th October 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Batchainpuller78's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
A doctor used a syringe to clean out my ears a few years ago. I had to use EarClear (a wax removal, it was an oily substance, and I had to put it in my ears for a couple of days for it to work). My ears have been trouble-free since.

But since then I've been developing these tiny 'floaties' in my left eye's field of vision. They're like tiny black blurry spots, annoying nonetheless. I started with one and now 5 years later there are four of them. Occasionally every now and again I get a tiny twinkle in my left eye's field of vision, it's like a tiny star that flashes once and then disappears, only lasts a mere fraction of a second. Intriguing. Not sure what that means. Would love to find out.

Ben
Maybe you can rip those floaters spinal cords out??? heh

yes floaters or Mouches Volantes, not much that can be done, don't think they are a result of putting oil in your ear...
I notice them most when looking through Telescope or Microscope and on a very sunny day.

But how cool is that you can see the shadows of proteïns or discarded cell
material in your own eye

And to the OP, AAAAAH that is a horror story, I would be very very angry at doctor Jagoff as well.
By the way I think the procedure on extreme earwax before removal is indeed have some ear drops for 3 days to loosen and soften the wax and then go back and have them syringed or sucked.
Old 13th October 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
christmasjones's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
A doctor used a syringe to clean out my ears a few years ago. I had to use EarClear (a wax removal, it was an oily substance, and I had to put it in my ears for a couple of days for it to work). My ears have been trouble-free since.

But since then I've been developing these tiny 'floaties' in my left eye's field of vision. They're like tiny black blurry spots, annoying nonetheless. I started with one and now 5 years later there are four of them. Occasionally every now and again I get a tiny twinkle in my left eye's field of vision, it's like a tiny star that flashes once and then disappears, only lasts a mere fraction of a second. Intriguing. Not sure what that means. Would love to find out.

Ben
I haven't used that EarClear personally, but I do have the 'floaties'. I don't think they are related either. It might be worth having an eye doctor check out. About 5 years ago my eye doctor found the floaties in my eyes. He said there's nothing to worry about and really nothing they can do. But they are kind of annoying...
Old 13th October 2009
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Yeah I've had floaters in my eyes for years. They're usually no problem at all unless you have a ton of them then they might be. Flashing or twinkling I have no idea about.
Old 13th October 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
d_fu's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Yes. One should be very careful with Qtips.
You will probably call me completely crazy, and I'm of course in no way officially recommending or propagating this, but here's what I've been using for many years:

The lid of the basic BIC ballpen... It works, doesn't reach too deep, and doesn't push anything inside...
Use carefully and at your own risk (i.e. don't sue me...)

But I would certainly sue that doctor...
Old 13th October 2009
  #11
Dr. Jaggoff sounds like a real Jackoff. dfegad
Old 13th October 2009
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Peroxide is NOT just for Blondes!

That tall dark brown bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide has many uses. Rub some into an open wound without that nasty alcohol sting. Got a sore throat? Gargle Peroxide. Extreme ear wax? Lay on your bed, on your side, with your plugged ear facing your ceiling. Have a small amount of Peroxide in a syringe of a small cup. You (or an assistant) can pour that peroxide in your ear and wait for 10-15 minutes as the peroxide penetrates and bubbles to break up the ear wax. Follow up my gently flushing out your ear.
If the wax is too thick for the gentle method, then you need to be addressed with a water irrigation unit, where a nurse manually pressure-pumps water into your ear. Thgat's a strange and intimidating feeling, BUT it works. This will sound gross, but use if this irrigation system jarred loose a Lime Bean-sized chunk of wax that was stone-lodged deep in my ear. When it was gone, my eardrum was suddenly super-sensitive to sound. While walking down the hallway afterward, me pants (jeans) sound crunchy. I NEVER dreamed I would be posting this story at a music g(ear) site!
Old 13th October 2009
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
But since then I've been developing these tiny 'floaties' in my left eye's field of vision. They're like tiny black blurry spots, annoying nonetheless. I started with one and now 5 years later there are four of them. Occasionally every now and again I get a tiny twinkle in my left eye's field of vision, it's like a tiny star that flashes once and then disappears, only lasts a mere fraction of a second. Intriguing. Not sure what that means. Would love to find out.

Ben
Dude, get your eyes looked at asap. The flashes are what you see when your retina is detaching from the back wall of your eye.

Retinal detachment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 13th October 2009
  #14
Jax
Lives for gear
 

I don't see why you'd point out the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond View Post
So Dr. Jaggoff takes a look in my right ear and says (in his asian indian accent),
Care to explain?

Otherwise, yeah, file a lawsuit.
Old 13th October 2009
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I don't see why you'd point out the following:



Care to explain?

Otherwise, yeah, file a lawsuit.
What do I have to explain? He talked like Apu from the Simpsons. I'm confused, is it not politically correct to say that?
Old 14th October 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
musicbydesign's Avatar
 

Wow, I feel for you on this. About a year ago I was getting
ready for work and my ear felt funny like a slight wax buildup
or something so I tried to clean it like I've done a hundred times
before. Well this time I accidently pushed the buildup closer
to the ear drum! well ever since that I felt deaf in one ear so
I went to the doctor and he said "it's just wax buildup" so he
put some warm water in there and then he blasted it with
this water sprayer and it finally opened up. I remember the
water pounding my eardrum and sorta hurting but not for long
after that. I think your doctor quacked on that one as I don't think
a vacuum should be put in a ear. Hope you get better soon!

Daniel
Old 14th October 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckpunk View Post
Dude, get your eyes looked at asap. The flashes are what you see when your retina is detaching from the back wall of your eye.

Retinal detachment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bullshyt. Most likely it is a posterior vitreous detachment in which their is nothing the doctors can do but it isn't harmful to you at all.
Old 14th October 2009
  #18
Lives for gear
 
-silent-sam-'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond View Post
So two weeks ago I started having a plugged feeling in my right ear. I tried cleaning it with a q-tip and it didn't help. A couple days later I woke up and my ear felt completely plugged. I went to an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor) and I picked this guy (let's call him Dr. Jaggoff) because he was in my insurance network. So Dr. Jaggoff takes a look in my right ear and says (in his asian indian accent), "Oh my friend you have some some ear wax build up in there and I have to clean it out." So he put some hydrogen peroxide into my ear and then he uses some vacuum machine and starts sucking it out. I start feeling like the plugged feeling I came in for is gone. Well all is fine until he starts really vacuuming deep in there and all the sudden it becomes really painful and loud. It felt like the vacuum device was right against my ear drum and it was sucking right against it. The pain was excruciating and I actually yelled in pain. He said "oh you have to be careful because I can hurt you" and I said "is this supposed to be hurting this much?" and he responds "sometimes."

So the procedure is done, my ear is throbbing in pain, and I can't hear that well out of my right ear now. I tell this to the doctor and he looks in my ear with a microscope and says "oh... it looks like you have a tear in your ear drum"... he leaves the office room for... one hour and fifteen minutes. I actually went to the nurse and asked where the doctor was and she says she is sorry and looks for the doctor... he comes in and seems surprised like he forgot I was there. WTF?!

He then has me take a hearing test and I can hear 10+ dB (250 - 8KHz) in my left ear and 20+ dB across the frequency range in my right ear. So my hearing is 10 dB worse in my right ear. He tells me that my ear should heal in a month.

I left the doctor's office pissed off and annoyed about my ear and in pain. I called up another ENT and scheduled an appointment. A couple days later I saw him and he checked my ear with a microscope. He side there is a hole in my right ear drum that covers about 20 percent of the ear drum. This doctor seemed a lot more knowledgeable and he seemed to actually care about my well being unlike Dr. Jaggoff. So a doctor takes me into a room with acoustic paneling on all of the walls and and they run a series of tests on my ears. Results show I have lost about 30 percent of the hearing in my right ear. The doctor says there is a 90 percent chance it will heal on it's own in the next six weeks. If it doesn't improve or heal then I will need surgery.

So now my right ear bleeds at times and has a clear or bloody fluid coming out of it when I sleep. I have a white noise sound in my ear and half of my head hurts almost constantly. I have to keep water out of my ear when I shower. You know how you cover your ear and talk you can hear your voice as if it is in your head? Well that's the way it is for me but I don't have to cover my ear to get the effect.

This really sucks and I just want everyone to be careful with their ears. I don't think I will ever use q-tips again because of their ability to push wax deeper into the ear canal and just cause problems.

Also now I'm having a medical malpractice lawyer look into this to see if I have a case so I can file a claim against Dr. Jaggoff for damaging my ear drum.
Thats absolutely terrifying....
Old 14th October 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
-silent-sam-'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
You will probably call me completely crazy, and I'm of course in no way officially recommending or propagating this, but here's what I've been using for many years:

The lid of the basic BIC ballpen... It works, doesn't reach too deep, and doesn't push anything inside...
Use carefully and at your own risk (i.e. don't sue me...)

But I would certainly sue that doctor...
This is very bad...... But I have also done this HA! The inside of my ears just get so damn itchy and when I use a Q-tip I am always afraid of the cotton getting stuck in my ear.

This is where the bic pen lid comes in.....
Old 14th October 2009
  #20
Here for the gear
 

this very same thing happened to a friend of mine. He was having his ears cleaned and the doctor ruptured his ear drum. He was left completely deaf in that ear even after surgery. A few years later he finally had surgery to correct it - I'm not sure if it was a cochlear implant or what it was, but his hearing is somewhat back, although as a result he is very sensitive to high frequency sound.

It sucks that it happened but you are lucky it wasn't worse. I guess my advice to you is to lawyer up. I mean that's like an eye doctor that stabs you in the eye and asks you if it's better. It's just rediculous.
Old 14th October 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 
SANDS's Avatar
 

so don't go to the doctor to get your ears cleaned? flush with peroxide and call it a day I guess.

That is scary, sorry to hear about that.
Old 14th October 2009
  #22
Here for the gear
 

Doctor Malpractice .. a bit political.

Not to get political, BUT, medical mistakes by doctors happen. Tort reform which is again being encouraged by insurance lobbyists, etc. as one way to "reduce medical health insurance premiums" will only discourage attorneys from taking cases like yours on a contingency basis (that is, working, WINNING, and waiting to get paid. No recovery, no fee!).

As it is, the costs of litigation, as well as locating and hiring of expert witnesses WILLING to testify against doctors like "Dr. Jaggoff" are outrageous. In California, your pain and suffering is limited to $250,000.00 (plus economic damages). What if you are the next musical genius of the Century and a doctor ruined your hearing!? Same cap for us as for someone like Michael Jackson!

Insurance defense attorneys fight claims brought against doctors (at least in CA) very hard. They spare no expense. They are working with insurance money and wish to discourage future claims. Doctors have a right to refuse to settle. If our rights to redress wrongs are further eroded in this country, negligence in the medical profession will eventually be tolerated as we will be powerless to stop it! Please note that from the time the California "pain and suffering cap" was enacted into law, health insurance premiums have not decreased one single cent.

Lawyers only want to fight for their clients and should not be limited by such things as "let the Plaintiff pay for the litigation of he loses" or caps on recovery. Please don't fall in to the insurance companies whining crap, tell your Congressman NO on tort reform. I'm just sayin' out...
Old 14th October 2009
  #23
Registered User
 

I had this happen to twice.
The first time it was painful - The doctor had know idea what to do. But he did get it out.
The second time the doctor (my friends recommendation - public health care allows me to choose any doctor I want) told me to put is a few drops of mineral oil 4 times a day for 2 days. I then went back he put in a couple of drops of peroxide. He took a large syringe with warm water. It looked like something a vet would use on a large animal. There was no needle so he did not go deep at all.
He then gently rinsed out my ear NO PAIN at all but what came out was completely disgusting. It was all done in 5 minutes. Cost = Zero
I love public health care!
Old 14th October 2009
  #24
Jax
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond View Post
What do I have to explain? He talked like Apu from the Simpsons. I'm confused, is it not politically correct to say that?
Ok, let me ask the question more straightforwardly. Why was it important to point out that he had an Asian/Indian accent? I don't care about being PC, but I think people are in denial when it comes to discussions of race.

The differences between people make too much difference to people. In the middle of a rant about how bad your healthcare experience went, you found it necessary to point out that your doctor was different from you, as if the difference somehow played a role in what happened. I'm just saying, so what if he had an accent?
Old 14th October 2009
  #25
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Bullshyt. Most likely it is a posterior vitreous detachment in which their is nothing the doctors can do but it isn't harmful to you at all.
It's funny that we are engaging in armchair medicine in the midst of a thread describing potential medical malpractice. I should have said it COULD be the signs of detachment. From what I understand, posterior vitreous detachment too can lead to retinal tearing. Either case, what I failed to say was that it's better to know of the potential problems because tearing can sometimes be stopped before it goes too far.

So go run up a huge medical bill ! $$$$

Old 14th October 2009
  #26
Here for the gear
 
Anna's Avatar
 

ohhh, man, getting my ears cleaned out was the most intimidating thing i've ever done! it was, very honestly, the most intimately anyone has ever touched me in my entire life. i know that sounds weird, but having a tool dig into your head and touch places that have never been touched before...that feeling is very unsettling!
not necessarily bad, but like a bug has crawled deep inside your ear.

i would most definitely pursue legal action, especially if your ears are your livlihood! yes, people make mistakes, and yes, doctors are people just like you and me...but when i accidentally backed into my neighbor's car, he filed a claim just like most everyone else would. i imagine your ears are more important than a scratch on a bumper...

just my 2 c.
Old 15th October 2009
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
ohhh, man, getting my ears cleaned out was the most intimidating thing i've ever done! it was, very honestly, the most intimately anyone has ever touched me in my entire life. i know that sounds weird, but having a tool dig into your head and touch places that have never been touched before...that feeling is very unsettling!
not necessarily bad, but like a bug has crawled deep inside your ear.

i would most definitely pursue legal action, especially if your ears are your livlihood! yes, people make mistakes, and yes, doctors are people just like you and me...but when i accidentally backed into my neighbor's car, he filed a claim just like most everyone else would. i imagine your ears are more important than a scratch on a bumper...

just my 2 c.
Yeah I'm not much of a fan of going to doctors in the first place and this was the worst experience I have ever had. I value my ears a lot and even when I go to some venue that has high sound volumes I use ear plugs. I actually carry a small bag of ear plugs with me all of the time. This experience has definitely changed things for me. I can't sit down and listen to music and more. Even watching TV the volume has to be really low so my ear doesn't hurt. This is going to be a tough time.
Old 15th October 2009
  #28
Here for the gear
 
Anna's Avatar
 

I am so sorry to hear that, man.
The human body is an amazing thing, though. Hopefully, in time, you'll be back to normal
Old 15th October 2009
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Weasel9992's Avatar
 

That happened to me at my first medical exam in the military. It eventually healed. Then happened again in combat. It was healing a couple years later when I left the military, and that was five years ago or so. No symptoms now, and I think my hearing is fine. Hang in there.

Frank
Old 18th October 2009
  #30
Gear Addict
 
usefullidiot's Avatar
 

For those with a similar problem a good way to deal with this is to use olive oil (yes)...lie down and get someone to put a drop or two of olive oil in your ear...stay lying down for about 15-20 mins. The oil soaks into the hardened ear wax and it will come out of its own accord...often in the shower or bath.

I do this every 6 months ago and it works a treat...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump