The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fluid behind Eardrum after virus - - - - - - help
Old 8th April 2013
  #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Khan View Post
i've been having fluid in my left ear for 2 months ...
Do you know how the fluid ended up in there in the first place, did you have an infection? In my experience the fluid/goo can stick in the ear for quite some time after an ear infection. I've had mine blocked once for weeks during this time of the year and the other time it took just over a week to start clearing up.

Early months of a year is exactly the time to have ear infections when the flu season is running wild. If you have allergies in the spring, it makes it more difficult to heal because your mucous membrane is swollen in the nose/ear area. In this case it might help to use some common allergy meds.
Old 8th April 2013
  #62
Lives for gear
I really am a family doc, so LOTS of experience with this. Some folks are confusing a few things, so I'll try and sort that out...

Barotrauma and damage to the INNER ear, the part that actually hears-the little hair cells, is usually caused by sudden noises, or sudden pressure on the ear (such as wiping out on the water or snow and getting something jammed into the ear hard, or listening to music too loud, or shooting, or riding motorcycles without ear protection). It causes tinnitus in some, and is NOT fixable. It heals or it doesn't on its own. Nothing to do with the OPs problem.

When the Eustachian tube is plugged due to colds, allergies or the airplane thing (see pic on page 1) the body absorbs the oxygen, then the nitrogen from the MIDDLE ear causing a partial vacuum, which draws fluid out of the tissues into the middle ear cavity. This can be "bland" fluid, in which case antibiotics aren't going to help, or it can become infected. Research recently shows that antibiotics really don't make much difference, even if infected, your body can clear the bacteria just as well by itself.

What can you do to get rid of the fluid? Try decongestants, perhaps antihistamines. See an ENT and get the eardrum lanced or tubes put in (I've got several patients that ended up with tubes in middle age, but they're more necessary in kids with small eustachian tubes). That's about all your options. Time USUALLY solves this but there're not guarantees (just like a basketball player with a knee injury, an engineer with hearing problems has some risk of ending their career). And yeah, if your ear is full of water, then sound waves will propagate more rapidly and you may perceive the pitch in that ear as higher.
Old 8th April 2013
  #63
Use a netti pot. They are great for fighting off colds but a side effect I have noticed personally is it does help clear up my ears. Be sure you are using a proper saline solution, I make mine out of filtered water and salt. Don't worry this isn't some new age hippie stuff, doctors recommend nasal irrigation.

Nasal irrigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 8th April 2013
  #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwagner View Post
Use a netti pot. They are great for fighting off colds but a side effect I have noticed personally is it does help clear up my ears. Be sure you are using a proper saline solution, I make mine out of filtered water and salt. Don't worry this isn't some new age hippie stuff, doctors recommend nasal irrigation.

Nasal irrigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just make sure you read the instructions _well_. Last time I had a sinus infection I used a neti pot and it helped, BUT I ended up with an ear infection. I later read that if you blow the salt water too hard from your nose (ie clear the nose), some of the bacteria may travel up infecting your ear. You need to let it flow out of your nose, only blowing gently.

Good ways to naturally heal the fluid after infection is sleep in an upright position - being horizontal is also more painful - kids are a good example as they usually complain ear pain when they go to sleep, not during the day when they're up.

Also drink/chew/swallow a lot. That's what you do in airplane to normalize ear pressure, same thing works with fluids only it does not travel as easy as air. The idea is the same.
Old 8th April 2013
  #65
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave View Post
Just make sure you read the instructions _well_. Last time I had a sinus infection I used a neti pot and it helped, BUT I ended up with an ear infection. I later read that if you blow the salt water too hard from your nose (ie clear the nose), some of the bacteria may travel up infecting your ear. You need to let it flow out of your nose, only blowing gently.

Good ways to naturally heal the fluid after infection is sleep in an upright position - being horizontal is also more painful - kids are a good example as they usually complain ear pain when they go to sleep, not during the day when they're up.

Also drink/chew/swallow a lot. That's what you do in airplane to normalize ear pressure, same thing works with fluids only it does not travel as easy as air. The idea is the same.
Do you mean blowing after you do the netti pot? There should be no blowing while you are using a netti pot, it should just flow in one nostril and out the other. If you are too stuffed up, wait until you aren't before you use a netti pot or it wont make it through.

An interview of a doctor I listened to, not about netti pots but sinuses in general, said to never close one nostril and blow the other. He said you should always blow both nostrils at one time.

And yes, with anything, definitely follow the directions properly.
Old 8th April 2013
  #66
What I did was I used the neti pot just as supposed to, no blowing while using it, it ran from one nostril to another and I felt much better after doing this. Correct amount of salt, correct warmth, all ok this far.

But after using the neti pot I (probably) blew my nose too hard to get rest of the solution (and mucus) out of my nostrils, because in a couple of days I had an ear infection.

So my advice is to just let it run out of your nostrils by itself after your done, even if it keeps dripping awhile.
Old 8th April 2013
  #67
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave View Post
What I did was I used the neti pot just as supposed to, no blowing while using it, it ran from one nostril to another and I felt much better after doing this. Correct amount of salt, correct warmth, all ok this far.

But after using the neti pot I (probably) blew my nose too hard to get rest of the solution (and mucus) out of my nostrils, because in a couple of days I had an ear infection.

So my advice is to just let it run out of your nostrils by itself after your done, even if it keeps dripping awhile.
That makes sense, good advice.
Old 8th April 2013
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Kris's Avatar
My 1 1/2 year old son has had lots of ear infections over the last year. Several rounds of anti-biotics and constant fluid behind the ears.

The ENT said he needed tubes... said the fluid will not drain for 3 to 6 months after his last infection and since he can't hear well he'd be developmentally delayed, blah blah blah...

We googled and found that there are chiropractors who specialize in solving this issue.

Believe it or not, it works for him. He get's the adjustment(s) and within 24hrs the fluid is gone, the ear infection is gone, and he's sleeping like a baby again!

It would be worth it to anyone with this issue to at least give it a shot to see if it works for you.
Old 9th April 2013
  #69
Gear Addict
I appreciate the answers, but yeah I did read that it takes 3 or more months to clear. And I'm not sure how I got fluid there to begin with as I don't really have allergies or colds and nor did I injure my head or anything. Though could playing call of duty in high fidelity headphones be the cause? just kidding, but I did think that at first considering the frequent loud explosions. I'm pretty sure I dont have tinnitus but it's strange because this ear problem happened right after I learned about beethoven, I thought too hard about it perhaps. I did hear about the neti pot with dr. oz and oprah, it's pretty interesting, i've yet to try it though as I didn't want it to cause further problems. But I'm surely going to give it a shot if I come across a moment of desperation. But other than that, thanks!
Old 30th May 2013
  #70
Gear Addict
the neti pot is my savior...
Old 30th May 2013
  #71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Khan View Post
the neti pot is my savior...
Amen.

Consider yourself lucky not to have tinnitus. It runs hereditarily in my family and while I find myself hearing things that other people miss (I think probably due more to training myself to listen), the ring is annoying.
Old 15th July 2013
  #72
Gear Addict
eh i lied, thought it worked tho... but yes, thankfully, i don't hear ringing...
Old 15th July 2013
  #73
Lives for gear
 
sleeper1400's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
I've had both ears drilled out because of "surfer's ear". It cost $20,000 per ear, to have them cut off and sewned back on after surgically drilling holes in my head to stop the pain you describe.
Don't shove anything smaller than your elbow into your ear, no matter how good it feels. Spend the money on getting your ears "sucked out" by an ear doctor with the special vacuum machine that unstuffs the goop infecting your inner ear.
Wear earplugs when swimming or hot tubbing. Avoid cold wind and noises.
Don't drive with the windows down, or in a convertible car. No loud gunshots, or prop plane engines. No motorcycles, and no surfing in cold water.
If your ears plug then put in a drop of alcohol and hold a hair dryer pointed away from your head to dry it out. Do not jam qtips into your ear, because that just pushes the wax deeper.

aloha from Dr Surflounge

this. i learned that 50/50 vinegar and alcohol right after a shower helps with preventing infection. i was fortunate enought to not have to ave surgery but for the month of pain and suffering, id have done it in an instant if they offered.

every shower, every time. been 3 years infection free
Old 12th January 2020
  #74
YVP
Here for the gear
 

I am dealing with this now. Almost out of Antibiotic. First doctor told me it was a clogged tube but no infection. 8 days later went to the doc and was told I had an infection with pus etc.
Going back to the 3rd doctor tomorrow. The goal is to get a hearing test or an ENT but I can not get in to see an ENT with out a GP referal. I notice a significant difference in high end frequencies and volume in my left ear which was infected. Any tips I getting the doctor to understand I need this fixed?
Old 12th January 2020
  #75
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVP View Post
Any tips I getting the doctor to understand I need this fixed?
go to a better Doctor
Old 12th January 2020
  #76
Here for the gear
 

5 drops of alcohol in each ear 3 times a day. Lay on each side for 10 minutes, then tilt your head, drain and wipe up with a soft kleenex. The alcohol absorbs the fluids.

Home Remedies for clearing fluid in the ear:
How to drain fluid out of the ear with vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution?

White vinegar and rubbing alcohol mixture makes for a potent remedy for how to remove fluid from the ear. Use it get rid of fluid behind the eardrum.
How to use?

Mix white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in the ratio of 1:1
Pour two to three drops of the solution in the affected ear. You can use a sterilized eye dropper for pouring the oil
Let it remain in your ear for sometime
After that wipe out the excess of liquid with a cotton bud

Benefits of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution

The solution made using white vinegar and rubbing alcohol is quite effective in removing fluid in the middle ear. Vinegar has potent antibacterial properties that fight off the infection in the ear. Further, its anti-inflammatory properties ease the swelling and pain in the region.
Precautions

You must dilute the vinegar with alcohol. Also, while wiping off the liquid do not insert the cotton bud inside your ear.

Chewing and Yawning

There can not be a more simple solution to ear fluid than simply chewing or yawning. Chewing on gum or some other type of chewy food can actually help expand the Eustachian tube allowing the fluid to flow better. As you chew, it will probably help to tilt the affected ear downwards which will help gravity play its natural role.

Use a Humidifier

When the air in your home is dry, it can cause infections to worsen and prevent infected areas from draining properly. Placing a humidifier in the bedroom near the bed can help keep the air moist and encourage healing. Making sure that it is near your affected ear can encourage the Eustachian tubes to open up and allow the fluid to drain as it should.

Humidifiers are also a great help for people with allergies and allergies often lead to congestion and fluid in the ear.
Old 15th January 2020
  #77
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVP View Post
I am dealing with this now. Almost out of Antibiotic. First doctor told me it was a clogged tube but no infection. 8 days later went to the doc and was told I had an infection with pus etc.
Going back to the 3rd doctor tomorrow. The goal is to get a hearing test or an ENT but I can not get in to see an ENT with out a GP referal. I notice a significant difference in high end frequencies and volume in my left ear which was infected. Any tips I getting the doctor to understand I need this fixed?
Impress upon him what you do for a living. I had a very severe case of acoustic trauma in early November last year and stressed to the GP how my livelihood was being affected.

Unfortunately in London there is no walk in ENT clinic. Did end up seeing a great one though a few weeks later, who was MUCH better than the one I saw privately a few weeks previously. Luckily, there's been significant improvement in my hearing situation over the last week.
Old 30th January 2020
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Ty Ford's Avatar
I had an "ear thing" recently that blocked my left ear from the inside. Probably the eustachian tube.

I ended up trying a pill I usually take the day of and after I fly that ramps up the immune system.

It's called DefensePlus.

https://www.amazon.com/Nutribiotic-D.../dp/B00014EM0Y

After 10 days of being bothered by the ear problem, I took one pill before I went to bed. Woke up the next morning 90% better. Took another the next two nights. Back to normal.

Good Luck,

Ty Ford
Old 30th January 2020
  #79
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones View Post
5 drops of alcohol in each ear 3 times a day. Lay on each side for 10 minutes, then tilt your head, drain and wipe up with a soft kleenex. The alcohol absorbs the fluids.

Home Remedies for clearing fluid in the ear:
How to drain fluid out of the ear with vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution?

White vinegar and rubbing alcohol mixture makes for a potent remedy for how to remove fluid from the ear. Use it get rid of fluid behind the eardrum.
How to use?

Mix white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in the ratio of 1:1
Pour two to three drops of the solution in the affected ear. You can use a sterilized eye dropper for pouring the oil
Let it remain in your ear for sometime
After that wipe out the excess of liquid with a cotton bud

Benefits of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution

The solution made using white vinegar and rubbing alcohol is quite effective in removing fluid in the middle ear. Vinegar has potent antibacterial properties that fight off the infection in the ear. Further, its anti-inflammatory properties ease the swelling and pain in the region.
Precautions

You must dilute the vinegar with alcohol. Also, while wiping off the liquid do not insert the cotton bud inside your ear.

.

Has anyone tried this- the rubbing alcohol and white vinegar? Isn't there a risk of the alcohol damaging the ear?
Old 30th January 2020
  #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Has anyone tried this- the rubbing alcohol and white vinegar? Isn't there a risk of the alcohol damaging the ear?
That sounds risky to me. I wouldn't do it.
Old 30th January 2020
  #81
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
That sounds risky to me. I wouldn't do it.
Yeah man, I'm not too sure about that home remedy lol.
Old 30th January 2020
  #82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Yeah man, I'm not too sure about that home remedy lol.
The best method is by the use of over the counter decongestants. Occasional congestion can trap fluids in the middle ear and usually self resolve. For chronic Otitis Media, it's best to consult an E.E.N.T. physician.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump