The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dealing with Tinnitus Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Dealing with Tinnitus

Are you currently having a hard time coping with Tinnitus, then read on. I have been a musician in over 20 years and during that time I have developed Tinnitus. I have been in periods when I've been close to panicing due to my Tinnitus. According to my doctor I have a rarely good hearing which is sometimes the case with people that have got Tinnitus. I am therefore quite sensitive to Tinnitus inducing noise.

The best way I know of how to deal with Tinnitus is to relax and realise it will get better over time if you protect your ears to loud noise. Just don't pay any additional attention to it. It's very important to realise that very loud sound damages your ears and that it happens to anyone that doesn't care about protecting the ears. You just need to use your common sense. I always wear custom made earplugs wherever I go, no matter if it's the cinema, a noisy club or an old bus, I use my plugs whenever it's necessary and that helps a lot. I have now learned to live with Tinnitus and that's cool.

Here are a few types of situations you should be extra careful about and a few tips as well:

- Buy custom made earplugs for your ears, this is one of the best investments I've made so far
- Don't spend hours of playing with limiter or loudness techniques
- Focus on emotion, not loudness
- Be aware of sudden possible loud noises in the environment and then wear your earplugs just in case
- Rest your ears every now and then
- Don't spend time focusing on how much Tinnitus you currently have, instead remember that over time the Tinnitus will fade as long as you protect your ears to very loud sound
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Was yours caused by loud noise or an infection?

I get ear infections and get tinnitus occasionally, though never as bad as the first time which proves it was a viral cause, I've built an immunity to it now. Boy was I sick when I first had it, could hardly stand up, hearing bells clanging and all sorts of weird ****e, it was "crescendo tinnitus".

Every winter seems to bring this virus to the southern hemisphere.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I was caught out at a concert with an absolute moron on the mixing desk, and started getting a whistle in my right ear, most noticable at night.

I have strong feelings about the public health issue of these gobshyte ******s who destroy peoples hearing and get away with it, but that's really another subject.

Anyway - something positive I can share is this: tinnitus seems to be related to blood pressure and condition. I believe the reason it gets worse at night is not just due to the lower ambiant noise, but also due to the fact that blood pressure and blood sugar and cholesterol tend to increase during the day and peak at night, especially following a large meal.

I think studio engineers are at-risk for obesity and diabetes related health issues. I certainly struggle to keep weight down.

In the last month or two i've made the decision to drop 15kg and achieve my ideal weight. I've studied nutrition and diet theories a lot, and I know it's a contraversial topic. So whatever I say will be disputed by the armchair experts. But i've tried a lot of things in the past, and all I can say is what is working for me right now.

Losing weight is simple in theory. You just have to burn more energy than you eat. At the same time, you need to maintain nutrition. I believe the food industry and the drug industry conspire against us to maximise their profits by minimising our health. The government is bribed by their money and tends to support them over us. (How else could Aspartame become legal??)

The conventional wisdom that we need 3 or more meals a day is (for some people at least) a lie. Talk to a doctor about fasting, and he will probably give you a pile of bull**** why it's not a good idea.

Many animals, e.g. bears, can store up fat and then live without food for months.

Rainbowstorm - i've noted your Christian tendencies, so i'll refer you to these ideas from the bible:

Food and fasting is talked about a lot in the bible. If you believe the bible is information from our Creator, you can expect it to contain good, relevant information. The foods that are advised against in the bible actually do hurt us, and modern science tends to support this. The foods that are recommended and endorsed in the bible are highly beneficial, and modern science tends to support this too.

Fasting is often mentioned in the bible, for specific purposes. Long walks and daring phsyical feats on empty stomachs are also part of the biblical tradition.

Basically, the idea that we are delicate creatures who need to be driven everywhere in cars, and will fall over if we miss a single meal, is for pussies. Our bodies are remarkable, but it's possible to abuse them by lack of exercise and too much food. Especially modern engineered food that is stripped of all nutrition to the point where it has indertiminate shelf life and even the bugs won't eat the ****.

SO ... i've taken to fasting on a regular basis. Replacing meals with a walk is working for me. It's a lot easier to NOT eat food than it is to burn it off. I'm chosing nutritious food over crap.

The pounds are coming off - about 1kg (2.2 pounds) per week at the moment.

And to get back on topic - the tinnitus has disappeared. I haven't felt this healthy in a long while.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
I'm chosing nutritious food over crap.
Me too!

Now if I could just quit my drinkin' ways maybe that right ear would really quiet down.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
SO ... i've taken to fasting on a regular basis. Replacing meals with a walk is working for me. It's a lot easier to NOT eat food than it is to burn it off. I'm chosing nutritious food over crap.

The pounds are coming off - about 1kg (2.2 pounds) per week at the moment.

Yet we live 3 times longer than we did 1,000+ ago when food was scarce and no one (except royalty) ate 3 times a day. BTW, Royalty lived much longer than anyone else.

Promoting a radical nutritional idea to everyone is rather ineffective. Everyone's body deals with food in different ways. I myself have always been thin yet I eat like a pig, I never gain weight...no matter what. I'm convinced that if I live 1,000 years ago I would probably have died an early death, while those with gain weight just by looking at food would have survived. There is actually scientific evidence to back this up.

Eating a balanced, normal diet + normal activity/exercise is prudent advice to just about everyone.

There's plenty of evidence to prove the negatives of fasting (many days) are way more harmful to your body than any possible believed benefits. It's proven that you slow your metabolism down when you fast and at some point your body will start to break down muscle matter....this is not good. You are shocking your body and your body is going into emergency protective mode to survive. Comparing us to bears is plain ridiculous. There are frogs that can be frozen rock solid and reanimated back to life...yet I wouldn't recommend this to humans

Skipping a meal is no big deal....probably good practice once in a while. Even going w/o food for 1 day hasn't really shown to have noticeable negative effects...other than the possible stress induced onto yourself due to the discomfort.

If you're overweight, then you probably are eating too much and/or eating low nutrition-high-calorie foods + not exercising enough. It's not rocket science and you don't need voodoo alternative fasting remedies to lead a normal healthy existence.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Guru

Ever been grateful for tinnitus?

I recently had a scare where I lost almost all of my hearing over a couple of days. Turned out to be a cerumen impaction (i.e. earwax). Even though I figured it that must have been earwax before I got to the doctor, my anxiety level was still through the roof.

Once the doctor cleared it out, I was really relieved to hear that quiet little tinnitus that I've had ever since I was a boy. I remember listening to it and the sound of my heart beating late at night when I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. It's kind of weird - since it's always been there, it just seems like it's the way hearing is supposed to be.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Kiwiburger, yeah I'd say high BP sure would cause it. Many many causes.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Yet we live 3 times longer than we did 1,000+ ago when food was scarce and no one (except royalty) ate 3 times a day. BTW, Royalty lived much longer than anyone else.

Promoting a radical nutritional idea to everyone is rather ineffective. Everyone's body deals with food in different ways. I myself have always been thin yet I eat like a pig, I never gain weight...no matter what. I'm convinced that if I live 1,000 years ago I would probably have died an early death, while those with gain weight just by looking at food would have survived. There is actually scientific evidence to back this up.

Eating a balanced, normal diet + normal activity/exercise is prudent advice to just about everyone.

There's plenty of evidence to prove the negatives of fasting (many days) are way more harmful to your body than any possible believed benefits. It's proven that you slow your metabolism down when you fast and at some point your body will start to break down muscle matter....this is not good. You are shocking your body and your body is going into emergency protective mode to survive. Comparing us to bears is plain ridiculous. There are frogs that can be frozen rock solid and reanimated back to life...yet I wouldn't recommend this to humans

Skipping a meal is no big deal....probably good practice once in a while. Even going w/o food for 1 day hasn't really shown to have noticeable negative effects...other than the possible stress induced onto yourself due to the discomfort.

If you're overweight, then you probably are eating too much and/or eating low nutrition-high-calorie foods + not exercising enough. It's not rocket science and you don't need voodoo alternative fasting remedies to lead a normal healthy existence.
You are absolutely correct that different body types have very different nutritional requirements. I tried to qualify my original post. However - your particular problem is very rare, and I would love to be able to eat whatever I liked.

There is an obesity/diabetes epidemic in the western world. There are many reason for this. In the old days it was called gluttony and sloth and considered sinful. But food engineering has a lot to do with this. There have been some scary changes in our foods since even 1990 that have huge implications (no pun intended). Of particular concern are:

#genetically modified foods that kill lab rats. Even if they don't kill you outright, the purpose of most modification is to make them more resistant to pests and pesticides. The end result is inedible food that contains a lot more pesticide.
You are being experimented on for profit.

#the use of rape seed oil (Canola) - and low-grade industrial oil. This **** is good for biodiesel - not good for you body, and I suspect largely responsible for the diabetes epidemic. This **** wasn't used in food prior to 1990 - not it's everywhere.

#white sugar - a killer from way back.

#artificial sweeteners, plastic 'mouth-feel' additives - if you drink diet Coke you are a fool.

#the carbon monoxide poisoning of meat to make it stay red looking - fools the shoppers every time.

#nuking of fruit, veg, everything else with nukey poo from reactors. Makes it inedible to bugs - long shelf life means big profits. Our health food shop used to sell imported beans for sprouting. A year or two back customers found they don't sprout anymore ... bastards.

You are being poisoned for profits - don't believe otherwise.

Anyway - most western people are getting fat and unhealthy.

Fasting - for many people - has enormous health benefits. I intend to use it only until I reach my ideal weight, and then only when required to maintain it.

I'm fully aware of the need for high quality nutrition. It's just getting hard to find ...

As for lifespans - if you believe the bible, our pre-flood ancestors lived close to 1000 years. Earth conditions were better than they are now (no rain, no seasons, a vast amount of water above the atmosphere filtering out UV and radiation).

There are stories of religious mystics living hundreds of years and eating very little food.

Contrast that with young americans getting diabetes in their teens and dying in their 30's. It's predicted that this will be the first generation of people to have a life expectancy shorter than their parents.

The statistics that "prove we are living longer" is based on deaths of old people. These old people currently surviving to 100+ did NOT grow up on McDonalds and Coke and geneticly corrupted foods and additives. They worked hard, ate healthy food and were rewarded for it.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fasting - for many people - has enormous health benefits. I intend to use it only until I reach my ideal weight, and then only when required to maintain it.

I'm fully aware of the need for high quality nutrition. It's just getting hard to find ...

As for lifespans - if you believe the bible, our pre-flood ancestors lived close to 1000 years. Earth conditions were better than they are now (no rain, no seasons, a vast amount of water above the atmosphere filtering out UV and radiation).

There are stories of religious mystics living hundreds of years and eating very little food.

Contrast that with young americans getting diabetes in their teens and dying in their 30's. It's predicted that this will be the first generation of people to have a life expectancy shorter than their parents.

The statistics that "prove we are living longer" is based on deaths of old people. These old people currently surviving to 100+ did NOT grow up on McDonalds and Coke and geneticly corrupted foods and additives. They worked hard, ate healthy food and were rewarded for it.
All the 'fasters' I know are chics...doing it for health reasons and of course, weight loss. Every single one of them, including a very healthy yoga teacher are now fatter...they always gain back the weight they lost, + some more for good measure. They also all seem to have less energy and they get sick often (2x more than my other friends and myself, I actually NEVER get sick…really). Is it the fasting? Can I prove it? I no longer tell ‘em not to, it’s their life.

I don't know what your standards are for 'high quality nutrition', but just any home cooked meal...meat, veggies...salad, cereals,...are all very nutritious.
Of course McDonalds isn't good nutritional practice. Again, not rocket science.

As for myths and religions> Those are stories to me...and myths. Everyone believes a different story. I'm not religious, so I'm not bound to a particular religion and it's boundaries (like the earth and us have only existed for a few thousand years). What I do know, and is easily qualified, is the average living age of humans over thousands of years +. Easily studied from bones, fossils and for recent history, human written records. Very clear line of increasing lifespans. The biggest increase during periods of plentiful food, clean water, and advances in medicine (especially vaccines) and understanding of the human body-scientifically, not through myth and legend.

Yes, of course there are things that are bad for you...how about smoking? Yet it was science that proved it's negative impact and informed the public on it.

There is no epidemic of people dying in their 30's from bad diets here...yet. Yes, there probably is a small increase and yes, there is an enormous increase in diabetes here, but people are not dying from it in their 30's...modern medicine keeps 'em going.

Fasting is a modern fad. Yes, people have been doing it for a long time, I know, yet not nearly in the #'s as today, hence it is a fad. Like all other nutritional/health fads, I tend to ignore them if there is no scientific evidence to back it up. I say, eat less and less often...but don't fast, you can do real harm to your body…like my friends, they have backed themselves into a corner with slower metabolisms and now they gain weight while eating less and exercising more than before. It will take them a very long time to get their metabolism back to normal....if ever.

There is no scientific evidence that fasting has any health benefits...let alone 'enormous benefits'. But anyone can believe what they want, they can believe in Christianity, Hinduism, whatever. I'm a man of science and its open forum for knowledge and continuous improvement on that knowledge. Many who believe in fasting will not let any kind of scientific evidence squelch their belief, just like science will probably never end many humans belief in their particular religion.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is a very dubious assertion. Articles in the popular media that have said this are based on studies that have since been seriously called into question. Yes avg weights are going up, but BMI is not really that strongly correlated with mortality.

Basically, it is pretty certain that younger generations are going to live longer, if only because they smoke less.

I hate to weigh in on a ****ty thread like this, but what can you do. I'm gonna go out for a smoke.

Mike

PS. Don't fast! ****ing bad idea...
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Guru

I went to the top guy at John's Hopkins, Dr. Niparko.

My condition is far more severe that tinnitus alone, but some of his suggestions
may help.

Drink Decaf, try not to smoke, be very careful about any dental issues, limit the use of headphones as much as possible, watch you weight, take silence breaks, use hearing protection not only for music, but for yard equipment and power tools.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I do know, and is easily qualified, is the average living age of humans over thousands of years +. Easily studied from bones, fossils and for recent history, human written records. Very clear line of increasing lifespans.
Do you consider the bible to be a written record of recent history? The Dead Sea Scrolls indicate that much of the older books existed in antiquity and is significantly similar to the 'received text' most bible scholars are familiar with.

Even if we ignore the ages of pre-flood man, the ages of many bible characters was higher than we achieve today. Empires rise and fall, and there have certainly been some dark ages in history where life expectancy was poor. But I believe to a certain extent we have de-volved. The planet is far more polluted than it ever was. One of the leading causes of death in the western world is medical misadventure. The drugs that are supposed to keep us alive are killing us.

I haven't even seen Michael Moore's "Sicko" yet ...

Faith in science is just as blind as faith in religion. Personally, I have serious issues with organised religion. I also have issues with much of what is called "science". Money and power has corrupted both, and i'm skeptical of most conventional wisdom. Science and religion are seen as incompatible, mutually exclusive opposites. Certainly bad science and bad religion are incompatible. But I believe good science and good religion search for truths and find them.

Sorry to get off topic - the whole point was, I had tinnitus and now it's gone. I believe it is a direct result of my lifestyle changes. Whether it helps anyone else I don't know. I think it's helpful to question our lifestyle choices, and evaluate ideas from all sources.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have some here too.
When it's quite loud , I know it's time to rest, to sleep. Food is also important , and stress or depressiv state are big factor of their volume ...

Of course I always wear custom earplug ... but playing in an hard core band for more than 6 years , it's hard to protect yourself from this. On this I would love to have the point of vue of Kurt Baloo (guit. of Converge) wich is a producer & player at the same time of Heavy / Hard Core music (If you come here please : Kurt how do you protect yourself from this ?)

Now from my point of view Tinnitus is impossible to avoid. I work with my band 3-4 time per week at least, plus the live & sometimes tour. Even with custom earplug & healthy style of life, it's impossible to avoid them.

This is my little experience, I've learned to live with them.
Nice topic RainbowStorm, thanks for sharing.

/Nick.

Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm View Post
The best way I know of how to deal with Tinnitus is to relax and realise it will get better over time if you protect your ears to loud noise. Just don't pay any additional attention to it.

Gee, wouldn't that be nice if it worked for everyone?

My wife has been a severe tinnitus sufferer for 10-12 years now. Her not paying any additional attention to it hasn't helped...and is nearly impossible.

The cruel irony is that she was never involved in anything that subjected her to loud noise, loud music, any of the "usual culprits". Best they (doctors) can figure is that hers was viral in origin. Whereas I, a professional audio engineer & musician since 1975, have never suffered from tinnitus ever. Knock wood.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Guru

What done me in was excessive exposure to sound via headphones.

I can not emphasize the danger enough.

I know how we get in the middle of a project and you get consumed to the point
where you forget about safe work practices.

Any exposure to sound for more than a few hours can permanently damage your hearing.

It's not just the volume when you're working full time.

Guys you seriously do not want to end up like me.

It's maddening!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you consider the bible to be a written record of recent history? The Dead Sea Scrolls indicate that much of the older books existed in antiquity and is significantly similar to the 'received text' most bible scholars are familiar with.

Faith in science is just as blind as faith in religion. Personally, I have serious issues with organised religion. I also have issues with much of what is called "science". .
No, I don't consider the bible an accurate record of recent human history. It's a religious book written for purely religious motives. Of course there are accounts of daily human life in it and yes, there are people in it that did exist, like Jesus.

Look, Faith and science are 2 different things. You don't need proof for faith...faith is a belief absence of proof. Science is the complete opposite. Science is the understanding of nature with proof to back up that understanding. Religion hasn't given us any understanding of how nature works, yet science has given us everything about how nature works...electricity, flight, space travel, the computer and network you are using right now.

You base your fasting belief on faith alone, almost to the point of anti-science, meaning the scientific evidence against it drives you more to fasting belief due to your beliefs and faiths in other non-scientific ideas and your 'issues' with science.

Don't confuse faith with science. Your belief in fasting is purely due to faith, plain and simple.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

That's so wrong I don't know where to begin. The proof that fasting works for me is that the weight is coming off, and the tinnitus is gone. (To be fair, I noticed a little after a night of gluttony, but basically gone). I expect better results when i'm down to my ideal weight - only half way there.

Just because it may not be suitable for an ectomorph like yourself doesn't mean it may be just the answer for some people.

The axioms of science require faith in the thought patterns of other people. These thought patterns can be proved wrong, and new thought patterns need to be created. School book science is based on faith.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The foods that are advised against in the bible actually do hurt us, and modern science tends to support this.
With the one notable exception of salty fatty BACON!!!
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have moderate tinnitus in both ears, and loss of high frequency hearing also--worse in the right ear. Although mine has been worsened by shooting sports (in the good ole days, hearing protection was for sissies) and a lifetime of work in manufacturing (mostly pre-OSHA), I can't ever remember not having it. My father also had severe tinnitus, so there may be a genetic link. I have never read that it can get better, only that hearing protection can keep it from getting worse so fast. It sucks. My wife can hear birds in the morning that I can't unless they are right outside the window. When I mix, I put on the headphones occasionally and turn them around a time or two to listen for the stuff the other ear can't hear. There allegedly are hearing aids that can cancel the noise in your head, but I can't imagine ever being able to afford such a thing. No easy answers. Live with it, and try to protect yourself as much as possible.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

eeooww

Big risk of lung and bladder cancer - although that appears to be the nitrates

Eating Bacon And Hot Dogs Linked To Higher Risk Of Lung Disease

Bacon may increase bladder cancer risk

Pork products are known to contain the highest levels of parasites.

You are what you eat - do you really want to be a smoked pig's belly?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think keeping healthy is a great start...but I don't agree with fasting.
Its better to eat 5 smaller meals a day. This keeps your metabolism up and your body burning calories.
you do need to exercise too.
Its well known that if you dont eat and skip meals then your body will go into craving and eventually you will give out and start eating furiously and out all the weight back on. Kiwi you will feel great now but could you keep this up for the rest of your life, is it a realistic lifestyle?
Chymer
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Fasting is to proper dieting what fast food is to gourmet cuisine. It's easy quick but not good in the long run. A lot of the weight lost during fasting is actually water. What happens when most people fast is that they drink more to rid themselves of their hunger pains. When you are drinking enough liquids(prefferably water) your body gets rid of any excess water as it sees that it is getting enough so your body does not worry about storing it. The average person does not drink enough water to begin with, so almost any amount is better than what they were drinking(or not) before. The waterloss/retention can account, in part, for the way peoples faces look bloated, which is all relative the person body structure. What are your goals with this fast? Any weight loss(lean muscle mass) or fat. When you fast for any length of time your body goes into caveman mode and hordes any calories it gets storing them as fat while cannabalizing your muscle as the easiest fuel source. People in their thirties can get away with eating anything they want without any immediate detrimental health effects. Studies coming out recently are showing that these "unseen" effects are showing up in people in their sixties. As far as fasting in the bible goes, notice that they coincided with famines, droughts etc.. in the rest of the wolrd at that time. Also, fasting is seasonal. If anybody knows any farmers or is one, understands that at certain times of the year there is more food stored(at the beginning of the season vs. the end of it).
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey, i've heard all these theories and then some all before. For some body types I guess fasting would be a bad thing.

Some strange contradictory logic there rochischin, and i'm not sure about your knowledge of biblical fasting either.

Dehydration is a major problem for many people, and they don't know it. Especially if their intake of fluids is Coke, Diet Coke, Coffee, Alcohol etc. I drink only water during my work day.

I certainly aren't craving or bloated or losing muscle. I'm just burning fat - it's exactly what I wanted to happen. I'm intentionally keeping my metabolism up with green tea, thermogenic foods, lot's of short walks.

Simply starving yourself all day and then eating McDonalds fry's isn't fasting. That would get yourself very sick very soon.

Anyway - silence is golden.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
School book science is based on faith.
School book science (whatever that is or means?) is based on faith? What faith? That's an oxymoron.

Look, you obviously have some strong beliefs in your faiths....my point being is that these are faith beliefs and like all faith beliefs, there is no need to have supporting evidence to back them up. Faith is a belief that is not based on proof.

It would be no mystery or secret to anyone that if you fast, you will lose weight. You take in fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight no matter what...that's science (not faith). But this is all short term my friend, you keep it up and you will, depending on how heavy you fast, probably harm your body and shorten your life. You may have faith that fasting is good for you in the long term but just like those who believe they will go to a heaven (or that there even is one), it's all faith my friend...plain and simple.

The bible is a book written by humans (many different ones over hundreds of years) and preached by humans who then tell other humans how to believe. There are other so called 'books' in other religions all pretty much doing the same thing. You and many others may chose to follow what you are told and passed on down by people, and as instructed have 'faith' without question (essential), yet I would not be one of those to partake in those endeavors.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I find it very amusing that the message that "fasting is dangerous" is so entrenched into the popular culture. And yet the message that the S.A.D. (standard american diet) will kill you is not popular at all. People don't want to know that Coke, Diet Coke, chemically poisoned meats, genetically tampered with produce, white sugar, white flour, Canola oil, etc is poison. People would rather think that eating pizza and getting fat is ok, because they can cure their diseases with drugs. That's not life, just a prolonged death.

Imagine if all overweight people decided they would start fasting and lose that weight. The economic effect would be disastrous to the food and drug industry. I believe a lot of myths and misinformation is propagated by the food and drug industry to maintain their profits.

I've tried the concept of 5 small meals instead of 3 large ones. It just made me eat more. I find it much easier to not-start than to start-then-stop.

It's definately the combination of fasting and exercise that's working for me. I can climb a mountain for a day on an empty stomach. Fat is fuel - there is no lack of energy. I'm not hungry. I'm not losing muscle - if anything i'm gaining it. Muscle cells burn twice as many calories as fat cells, so it's all good.

I know i'm pushing an extreme view - overcompensating I know. But from my experience, obesity is a problem that goes with office work and studio work. And there are many health complications - including tinnitus.

It's far easier to sit down, eat some pizza, drink some beer, watch TV. That should be a luxury, not daily life. It's far healthier, and cheaper, to go for a walk instead. I figure i'll be able to pay for some extra slutty gear with all the money i'm saving.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I find it very amusing that the message that "fasting is dangerous" is so entrenched into the popular culture.
I don't believe its dangerous, its just not a viable option for sustaining a healthy lifestyle in the longterm, thats all.

Quote:
I'm not losing muscle - if anything i'm gaining it. Muscle cells burn twice as many calories as fat cells, so it's all good
you do realise you need protien to actually gain muscle?
if your eating very little, and its my guess that when you do eat, its simple carbohydtrates, your body isnt receiving the building blocks for muscle gain.
Climbing a mountain all day on an empty stomach might make you feel trim and fit ( due to water loss) but you are certainly not building muscle.
For your info, muscle weighs more than fat too, so if your losing 1kg a week, your definately not gaingin muscle. My guess is your only loosing a litre of body fluid a week.

Quote:
I'm just burning fat - it's exactly what I wanted to happen. I'm intentionally keeping my metabolism up with green tea, thermogenic foods, lot's of short walks
tea is a diuretic which adds further to your loss of fluids hence perceived loss of weight in the short term.

Quote:
I figure i'll be able to pay for some extra slutty gear with all the money i'm saving.
now were talking!!!!!!Cant argue with that.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
School book science (whatever that is or means?) is based on faith? What faith? That's an oxymoron.

Look, you obviously have some strong beliefs in your faiths....my point being is that these are faith beliefs and like all faith beliefs, there is no need to have supporting evidence to back them up. Faith is a belief that is not based on proof.

It would be no mystery or secret to anyone that if you fast, you will lose weight. You take in fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight no matter what...that's science (not faith). But this is all short term my friend, you keep it up and you will, depending on how heavy you fast, probably harm your body and shorten your life. You may have faith that fasting is good for you in the long term but just like those who believe they will go to a heaven (or that there even is one), it's all faith my friend...plain and simple.

The bible is a book written by humans (many different ones over hundreds of years) and preached by humans who then tell other humans how to believe. There are other so called 'books' in other religions all pretty much doing the same thing. You and many others may chose to follow what you are told and passed on down by people, and as instructed have 'faith' without question (essential), yet I would not be one of those to partake in those endeavors.
I'm just giving a contrary view, because for myself i've decided that religion and science are not mutually exclusive. Truth is truth. Neither side has ultimate claim on truth - both sides have often cocked it up big time.

My point about faith is that any knowledge system is based on axioms. The basic building blocks of that knowledge system. Most of us don't have the time or the skills to ponder these fundamental ideas for ourselves, so we revert to simply parroting what we've been taught.

For example: most science inclined people would happily quote E=MC[super]2[/super] and argue with religious fervor that the speed of light cannot ever be exceeded. They would state this simply because they have been told this hundreds of times, and there is a false sense of security in smugly demonstrating your knowledge even if you have no idea why this theory came about.

Today in the paper I read that scientists have demonstrated particles travelling faster than light. Actually, faster than light speed has been demonstrated before, and Tesla and others had known about this, it's not a surprise for me.

Because of my religious/occult beliefs, I have never accepted the concept that faster than light speed is impossible.

For all I know these latest experimenters may have fooled themselves by measuring a particle that had just randomly popped out of the quantum foam. I don't particulary care, because I believe in an alternative view of physics that explains a lot more to me than the conventional accepted theories. (I believe Harold Aspden's theories about aether engineering are closer to the truth, for anyone who cares about these things).

To me, faith is not about forcing yourself to believe something irrational. It's deciding to use information, even if you haven't got the resources to full understand it yet. The greatest physicists we have had all believed in God. If you start questioning the fundamental reasons for existance, the universe, how it all works - it's hard not to believe in a vast, superior intelligence.

The alternative view, that the universe is just some random thing that for no particular reason obeys a bunch of arbitrary rules requires a huge amount of faith.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
and its my guess that when you do eat, its simple carbohydtrates,
How can you possibly come to that conclusion? I've explained my views on white flour, white sugar .... I avoid simple carbohydrates.

Is tuna steak with a salad of spinach leaves, madarins, sliced almonds, dressed with olive oil and lime juice good enough for you?
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Fasting IS dangerous and is NOT the faster way to lose weight. Much better eat tons of vegetables and fruits.Lean meat is OK once a day, fish once or twice a week. A SMALL daily amount of carbohydtrates (bread) and a good italian pizza once a week are foundamental for mental health. WALK, WALK, WALK and drink mineral wather. In this wai I have lost 8 Kg (more than 17lbs) in 2 months.
When your weight is OK you can progressively add SMALL amounts of spaghetti, ice creams, whine and all the things that make us happy!

The only drawback is that vegetables, fruit and lean meat are way expensive... So you'll have to sell gear to slim.

For the tinnitus you could also try an aspirin for its
anti-inflammarory and blood-thinning effects.

PS nowadays many scientists are merely a$$holes in search of glory, ready to say anything to get a little of notoriety. There are few serious researches, and believe me, those don't tink that anything can go faster than light 'cause it woul lead to a paradox. Once I studied, but I can't remember... Ask Einstein heh
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks dizzy dog. I don't think we are poles apart in our thinking. Fruit and veggies are definately the way forward.

By fasting, specifically what i'm doing at the moment is one meal a day at around 7:00 pm, except for one day of no food at all. What food I have is selected for quality. To make it all happen, at the usual meal and break times I just go for a walk. The ritual of walking, or of making tea plugs the gap.

I don't expect to keep this up - only until I reach my goal weight, and then only as required. I've just had a gutsful of being overweight, and trying various half-assed remedies over the years.

I would like to know where you get this information that fasting is dangerous? Can you point to the piles of skeletons? Do you have personal experience? Are you just repeating what you've been told?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search