The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting off the junk train
Old 20th August 2020
Getting off the junk train

Middle age and lifestyle changes..

When I was in my 20s and 30s I basically ran on nicotine, sugar and caffeine...booze and other things. Rock and roll, ha ha.
Never had a weight problem, though the booze triggered a severe depression. So got off that.
Biggest thing smoking, not more than half pack a day but they say it sucks all the nutrients away. Working toward that.

Also finding I can't tolerate very much processed food. Lost the taste for fast food. Replacing soda with tea or juice or water. Lost interest in red meat pretty much, seems to take a lot of energy to digest, feel sluggish. Seems like you have to get a really good cut these days anyway to be worth it. Still a coffee drinker, but not that domestic stuff.

I'd really like some experience if you went or are going through this. My dad died of cancer awhile back and my mom is battling cancer- and she ate health food. Both smoked for a time when they were young.
I feel like I don't know what to eat, and developed bad habits of being a human garbage can. Typical midwestern diet. I still need my protein. I have a pretty good sweet tooth. I like soul food.
I feel like a big staple is going to be rice, as I can make various things with it. I am starting to replace the junk with fruits and nuts and things but I guess it takes time. Obviously fresh fruits and veggies, so what I am assuming is re-evaluating not only what I eat, but how I prepare it and how I eat it.
I work 12 hour shifts and come home burned out. I suspect it's being on the fluctuating blood sugar loop as I am not getting quality nutrition. So then, you don't have time to cook because you are recuperating and throw down ready to eat or whatever and the cycle repeats.
I even tried yoga six months ago until the pandemic hit. Seemed to help. Not a workout type guy, or runner.
The path gets narrower and easier to get off track. This is more about quality of life than anything. We don't get but 4 months of sunshine here either, so lack of vitamin D. I feel like with all the health problems people have, most of it can be traced to diet and the food they eat. So instead of sending you to a nutritionist, they will give you a pill. Then I hear about eating for your blood type, or pH....
I think the human body is a remarkable resilent mechanism that can quickly recover from all sorts of toxins and disease if given the right treatment. I don't want to be an obsessive health nut, I am just feeling the changes as I get older, it takes more time and energy to bounce back.
Should I be taking a multivitamin?
Old 21st August 2020
When was the last time you went to see a doctor to get a complete physical? If you haven't, I'd start there. Type II Diabetes gets to be an issue with many middle aged adults as well as Hypertension (high blood pressure). Both conditions can reap havoc on the organs if left uncontrolled.

Yeah, I'd start taking a multivitamin to ensure you are getting all you may be deficient on. I also take Triple Flex to combat early symptoms of arthritis, it works wonders on aching joints when taken daily on a regular basis. Vitamin D is hard to find with people hoarding it but you can easily find Triple Flex or Osteo-BiFlex that contains vitamin D as an extra ingredient.
Old 21st August 2020
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Ya gotta start an exercise program if you don't already exercise on a regular basis. It's easy when you start slow and gradually increase to 3 - 4 times per week. You'll find a new fountain of stamina and a feeling of well being as the body begins to release endorphins. It's great for the body and mind.
Old 22nd August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
When was the last time you went to see a doctor to get a complete physical? If you haven't, I'd start there. Type II Diabetes gets to be an issue with many middle aged adults as well as Hypertension (high blood pressure). Both conditions can reap havoc on the organs if left uncontrolled.
Ah yes, my mother reminded me of getting an exam, it's been a couple decades. Especially since I'm approaching fifty. She was able to catch her various tumors and cancer early since she regularly got exams.
I may just invest in a decent road bike and get back to yoga once a week. Thanks for your input!
Old 23rd August 2020
A highly recommended exam for age 50+ is a colonoscopy. It's that tube they stick up the kazoo and the doctors can see any cancerous polyps. A lot of people skip the exam out of embarrassment or fear and a percentage of those end up dying of cancer. Had they had the exam, the polyps could have been removed in time.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

I would start by becoming an obsessive label reader.

Cut out as much sugar as you can, even if it means using other types of sweetener.

Cut out salt especially in prepared foods, that often use it as a cheap flavor enhancer. Replace it with natural seasonings like peppers, italian herbs, garlic, etc.

Learn to say NO to people who want to "feed you" with snacks, cakes and sweets - remember that it's YOUR decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
Middle age and lifestyle changes..

Should I be taking a multivitamin?
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Multivitamins can be helpful, especially if one does not eat a diet rich in vegetables and some fruits, although fruits can be a regrettable form of sugar (natural fruit sugars) for diabetics. Your MD can run tests to see if you suffer any vitamin deficiency. I take a Vitamin D pill daily on my doctor's strong recommendation for the whole human race, and I take about 150-200 milligrams of Vitamin C twice a day: morning and at bedtime. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is a chemical found in nature, and our immune systems use it to kill things which are trying to kill us, such as bacteria and viruses. Think of it as a box of hand grenades for your immune system.

But B vitamins taken in quantity bother my kidneys, as B vits [beyond what your body can use] are excreted in urine. They help us resist stress, but if I take them, I don't get worn down properly by bed time, so I don't take them. If you wish to try a multi vitamin, try taking a quarter, third, or half of a pill, given that the pills are the size of gold balls. You may need a whole one, or you may not need them at all. Experiment and use your common sense to judge the results.
Old 6th September 2020
When I worked 12 hour shifts I was whipped no matter what I did. I don't think it's natural to work that long and the body reflects it. I was on night shift too, did that for about 5 years. Never again.

I traded that in now for random start times, which is a lot easier to handle on a mostly regular shift, but still messes me up.

If you want free, good advice on meal plans and even workouts, scoobysworkshop.com. it's a bodybuilder site, but you can customize the meal plan builder for other things. Some of his meal ideas are pretty good.

I eat a lot better now then i did then. Mostly because i have time to actually cook. All kinds of rice in a rice cooker is a good quick card to have. Grilled tuna! I was on a probably to strick diet and didn't eat hamburger, so i just grilled canned tuna into a patty shape.......it was actually pretty good! Some plant proteins aren't too bad.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear